• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experienced Opinions needed (1 Viewer)

UTXPLR

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum, I have read many threads here which have been helpful, I'm about to make a purchase in the $500-$700 (10x42) range and of course I want the best bang for the buck. I am researching many different binoculars and would like anyone's experience preferably if they were compared with others for these binoculars

All in 10x42

*Steiner HX - does anybody know how these stack up, any experience, they
seem nice, one review said BaK-1 glass...?
*Meopro HD - seems like a real solid contender against higher end bins
*Kowa BD XD - not as good warranty but seem quality and suitable with the
others here mentioned.
*Nikon Monarch 7 ATB - I've read many great reviews, not sure if they are in
the same class but the price is....?
*Tract Toric - I actually had the toric and sent them back, felt like my eyes
worked a little harder with them but I loved everything else about them,
curious to see their new upgrades, possibly will give them another shot.

Where do all of these line up to the Razor and Conquest, my brother has those two and they are very good, at least to my eyes however I don't have that budget at the moment.
I also had a pair of viper HD's but same thing I felt more eye strain with them than I do with my 10x32 Talon HD's which actually feel really good. I suspect it may be slight flaws in component assembly not sure.

any input helps thanks.

Hi and welcome.

Do you wear glasses when using binoculars?
Could the eye strain be because of slight miscollimation or eye problems?
Samples vary and if possible try three of each and buy the best one.

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum, I have read many threads here which have been helpful, I'm about to make a purchase in the $500-$700 (10x42) range and of course I want the best bang for the buck. I am researching many different binoculars and would like anyone's experience preferably if they were compared with others for these binoculars

All in 10x42

*Steiner HX - does anybody know how these stack up, any experience, they
seem nice, one review said BaK-1 glass...?
*Meopro HD - seems like a real solid contender against higher end bins
*Kowa BD XD - not as good warranty but seem quality and suitable with the
others here mentioned.
*Nikon Monarch 7 ATB - I've read many great reviews, not sure if they are in
the same class but the price is....?
*Tract Toric - I actually had the toric and sent them back, felt like my eyes
worked a little harder with them but I loved everything else about them,
curious to see their new upgrades, possibly will give them another shot.

Where do all of these line up to the Razor and Conquest, my brother has those two and they are very good, at least to my eyes however I don't have that budget at the moment.
I also had a pair of viper HD's but same thing I felt more eye strain with them than I do with my 10x32 Talon HD's which actually feel really good. I suspect it may be slight flaws in component assembly not sure.

any input helps thanks.

Hi, and welcome ... 2.0 to the fellow from "Happy Valley."

The collimation issue COULD be self-inflicted if the IPD is not set properly.:cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Bill I'm going to understand all this stuff very soon. My pop up adds miraculously somehow knew what I had an interest in and presented to me the cover of your book. So impulsively I bought it as I always do with pop up adds. I hope it's entertaining. I figure if I learn two things that actually make a difference in my real life optics use it will be money well spent.

Bill I'm going to understand all this stuff very soon. My pop up adds miraculously somehow knew what I had an interest in and presented to me the cover of your book. So impulsively I bought it as I always do with pop up adds. I hope it's entertaining. I figure if I learn two things that actually make a difference in my real life optics use it will be money well spent.

It will be, but I'm not allowed to mention it, anymore. So, if you have any questions or comments about it please direct them to: [email protected]

I'll help all I can. :cat:

Bill

I would avoid Steiner, but that's just me.

I had a pair of Steiner 15X80, and optically they weren't bad, but mechanically they were junk.

I would avoid Steiner, but that's just me.

I had a pair of Steiner 15X80, and optically they weren't bad, but mechanically they were junk.

Hi, Richard:

In the Optics Shop, and in the fleet in general, they were referred to as the "disposable" binocular. :cat:

Bill

I learned that the hard way.|:(|

After I went to the trouble of contracting with the world’s best names in binoculars and making Captain’s one of the “go to” stores on the left coast for binoculars and telescopes, the new owner—a boater—has not only replaced all those brands with Steiners, he’s almost exclusively turned to the Chinese models!

I tried to teach my customers. He appears happy to let them believe what they will. And let’s face it, in optical goods that German name works wonders, especially with sailors ... at the cash register.

I will say before they SQUATIFIED the Navigator II it was one world-class bino. Wouldn’t have been so great for birding—being an IF model—but for navigation or astronomy, it was superlative. :cat:

Bill

So are you guys saying Steiner is crap and don’t waste my time and money?

I'm NOT. That's too broad a thought. SOME of them are not what they're cracked up to be, I think, is closer to the point. Also, MOST are center focus instruments. That's the bane of birders. :cat:

Bill

So are you guys saying Steiner is crap and don’t waste my time and money?

No, I don't think so, maybe not... You see Steiner made some glass......um.....should I say was not meant to be repaired, I had one (8X30) and first viewed it while in the service, I preferred the DF 8X30 from Hensoldt, needless to say most operators thought of them as.... well junk. These were IF models for the service, left overs etc.
I also used the Steiner M22 7X50, which were an improvement, save the casing which cracked often, and they were replaced by Fujinon 7X50 which are still issued today, I think they are also issued 7X28s also.

From a commercial standpoint. I admittedly know little about their commercial models, save a couple of 8x30s, and viewing once through a 8X56 Shadow - quest, I am looking at this glass for astronomy and for surveillance of large expansive areas.

A.W.

Hi and welcome.

Do you wear glasses when using binoculars?
Could the eye strain be because of slight miscollimation or eye problems?
Samples vary and if possible try three of each and buy the best one.

No eye glasses and made me think it wasn't my eyes was because other optics didn't do the same to my eye which led me to believe it was that particular pair.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back