• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

K10d (1 Viewer)

impotentspider

Has anyone got the thier sights on the New K10D?

I am really looking forward to getting mine, the shake reduction should really help when the light levels drop. plus the 10MP means I dont have to worry too much about filling the frame.
I think I'm going to wait until after xmas tho', See if anyone is doing any special offers at the "Focus" exhibition in February (NEC Birmingham UK)

I Have !!!

I am currently using a EOS 20d with 17-40 f4L so my investment with Canon is'nt that much lens and accessory wise.

Just waiting for the On-line reviews to appear on t'internet first, want to see how that sensor compares with Canon.

Many many many years ago I started out with an S.III and since then have always wanted to go back to Pentax, the only thing stopping me was the lens line up, looking at the Pentax roadmap that should sort me out, especially the upcoming 60-250 f4 !!!

Pentax look like they have a winner with the K10d so they can't hover under the Radar anymore....Canon/Nikon/Sony et al will be watching....

Scott67 said:
Pentax look like they have a winner with the K10d

I agree. IMO the major disadvantage of Pentax DSLRs (before K10D) in bird photography has been their mechanical "screwdriver-mediated" autofocus mechanism, which has been slower than Canon's or Nikon's "USM"-systems. I wish Sigma will soon make their HSM-objectives Pentax compatible.

Pentax prism viewfinders have always been better than correspondingly priced Canons or Nikons.

Ilkka

iporali said:
I agree. IMO the major disadvantage of Pentax DSLRs (before K10D) in bird photography has been their mechanical "screwdriver-mediated" autofocus mechanism, which has been slower than Canon's or Nikon's "USM"-systems. I wish Sigma will soon make their HSM-objectives Pentax compatible.

Pentax prism viewfinders have always been better than correspondingly priced Canons or Nikons.

Ilkka

I know what you mean, the Pentax AF drive does seem a little antiquated, but bear in mind that Pentax was trying to retain backward compatability with its older lenses. I have heard that Pentax do have motor driven lenses in the pipeline but we will probably be looking at four figure numbers when it comes to price, assuming we get 500+ focal lengths. I often visit Dimitrov's Pentax pages and drool over the 600mm

Pentax K10D and Tamron 70-300.

impotentspider said:
I know what you mean, the Pentax AF drive does seem a little antiquated, but bear in mind that Pentax was trying to retain backward compatability with its older lenses. I have heard that Pentax do have motor driven lenses in the pipeline but we will probably be looking at four figure numbers when it comes to price, assuming we get 500+ focal lengths. I often visit Dimitrov's Pentax pages and drool over the 600mm

Have read that the Tamron 70-300 goes well with the Pentax K10D.
Anyone any experience of this for birds in flight shots?

First HSM lenses are expected around march next year I believe, I cant see me replacing my existing lenses for some time yet, although it going to be interesting to see if the new range includes power zooms as the K10D is supposed to support them.

Despite my intention to wait till the Focus exhibition I decided to go ahead and order my K10D hopefully it should be with me in time for Xmas, I pushed the boat out and ordered a Sigma 50-500 with it as well (been a long time since I had a treat) it just means I wont be changing the car as quickly as I intended LOL!
I pondered on the Sigma, whether or not to wait for HSM versions but there is nothing to suggest that Sigma have got any thing lined up yet for HSMs in Pentax fit,

I can always update the firmware later.

Well, as previously posted, despite my intentions to wait till Focus on Imaging and the NEC, I decided to go ahead and order the K10D, Santa should be bringing it very soon, along with the Sigma 50-500, so you little birdies better watch out cos, there'll be a spider on the prowl aiming to snap your plumage.

Quick Shameless Plug......many thank to Chris at http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/
I contacted Chris on Tuesday 19th and asked if he had any spare stock, also informing him of my desire for the Sigma 50-500, which he didn't have in stock, By Wednesday morning Chris had phoned me back, YES he had some spare K10D stock, and MAYBE he could get me a Sigma 50-500 by the following day, Thursday morning I get a call from Chris, he had managed to get me the required lens from Sigma and would send it by courier that very day. my K10D and the Sigma arrived Friday afternoon extremely well packed! (unfortunately the wife wrapped it up in xmas papaer and I have to wait two days for it)

Swissboy said:
Any first impressions by now?

At first I found the camera far too big (compared with my istD) but I am gradually getting used to holding it differently, and it sits more comfortably in my hand each time I pick it up, the only pics I have taken have been a few test shots and some family snaps on Xmas day, the weather here has been appalling, overcast murky skies and fine drizzle, so not even had the chance to get out with it.
I am definately impressed, the camera is really solid, well made and easy to find your way around on.
Weather is forcast to brighten up on saturday so keep your fingers crossed for me, going down to a "local" RSPB reserve to give it and the Sigma a field test.
Watch this space.

impotentspider said:
Weather is forcast to brighten up on saturday so keep your fingers crossed for me, going down to a "local" RSPB reserve to give it and the Sigma a field test.
Watch this space.

I'm looking forward to it! Good luck.

Here it is folks, my opinion of the K10D

Finally had some reasonably good weather for taking the K10D out and about, attached to my Sigma 50-500 and supported on a monopod I visited a local bird garden, so I guess my first praise must go to the shake reduction system, one particular shot was 1/180th sec at 420mm OK so I had it on a monopod, but when you consider the correct shutter speed to avoid shake would normally have been 1/600th sec allowing for the increase in focal length for the digital sensor, thats sure proof of the SR capabilities.

The ability to set custom functions for the edials is excelent, for example, in Av mode the front dial is redundant, custom functions have allowed me to set this dial to control exposure compensation (I can also set it to adjust ISO or white balance) the "redundant" dials can also be programed in other modes.

The K10D handles well, the only gripe is the autofocus can hunt a little in low light (nothing new to Pentax) so I am looking forward to the release of HSM lenses over the next few months. at present I have only tried the camera with jpegs but these are tremendous quality, A recent review claimed the K10Ds images were a little "murky" but I can only assume thats because they tested it in dull overcast weather, the ones I have had so far have been well balanced and the colours have been spot on, and I dont mean bright, punchy and over saturated, I mean SPOT ON as in true to life, the images are a little soft but this is a deliberate on Pentax DSLRs, Pentax leave the photographer to decide on the required amount of sharpness, though a certain level of sharpness can be applied if required via the cameras basic settings.

The camera is dead easy to use, the controls are well laid out and all the main functions are easy to access. the LCD screen is enormous compared to my istD and has a nice little touch of displaying the cameras settings briefly when its first turned on or the mode is changed, custom functions also allow the display of the histogram and/or highlight and dark areas on the image if required.

I could go on forever, but I think I've said enough, I am 100% happy I bought the camera, previously I would not have tried to persuade anyone to buy a specific brand of camera, telling them to review them all and make their own minds up, but I am definately going to plug the K10D, if the new HSM lenses put the Pentax AF system on a par with Canon then Pentax are definately going to be a HUGE contender in the DSLR market, especially with the sheer number of innovations and features on the K10D

Just a couple of pics from the K10D and my Sigma 50-500,

Nothing special (they were shot in captivity) but should give you an idea of what the camera is capable of, check out the exif info for exposure details.

Have applied a minimum amount of sharpening and increased saturaton slightly (+5 on slider scale in photoshop)

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/?action=view&current=Flamingo.jpg

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/?action=view&current=IMGP0383.jpg

Please note the second image was shot at 1/180th at an equivelant of 630mm, not bad for a heavy lens on a monopod in windy weather.

Last edited:
impotentspider said:
Just a couple of pics from the K10D and my Sigma 50-500,

Nothing special (they were shot in captivity) but should give you an idea of what the camera is capable of, check out the exif info for exposure details.

Have applied a minimum amount of sharpening and increased saturaton slightly (+5 on slider scale in photoshop)

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/?action=view&current=Flamingo.jpg

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/?action=view&current=IMGP0383.jpg

Please note the second image was shot at 1/180th at an equivelant of 630mm, not bad for a heavy lens on a monopod in windy weather.

Hi,
Two nice photos you did well with the mono pod considering the wind and as you say heavy lens well done. By the way were were they taken. Recards.
Stan.

stanacko said:
Hi,
Two nice photos you did well with the mono pod considering the wind and as you say heavy lens well done. By the way were were they taken. Recards.
Stan.

Thanks for the compliment Stan but I cant take credit for doing well, my shaky hands could make a concrete jelly wobble, the credit should go to the Shake Reduction system in the K10D.

The pics were taken at Lotherton Hall

impotentspider said:
Thanks for the compliment Stan but I cant take credit for doing well, my shaky hands could make a concrete jelly wobble, the credit should go to the Shake Reduction system in the K10D.

The pics were taken at Lotherton Hall

Hi,
Many thanks for the reply, Yes I know what you mean re the shaky hands I have the same problem thats why I am sticking to my Minolta 5D great camera,once again many thanks. Regards.
Stan.

Shaky hands? When I'm taking photos my whole body is swinging around like a tree about to fall over! :D Even using the monopod! There's something about looking up at a sharp angle and squinting down a tiny viewfinder with one eye that makes my sense of balance go bad. :-O

Gosh, it's a while since I've visited BF, been far too busy over at out sister site www.worldphotographyforum.com to have much time for BF. A quick check reveals that we have a dedicated Pentax forum now, what a welcome change.

I used a *istDS for a couple of years but have now switched to the K10D. As others have said, it's a bit big if you've been used to a DS, but you soon get used to it. The shake reduction works brilliantly, I've taken hand held stuff at 1.5m range with a 30mm lens at 0.5s and had a perfectly sharp shot.

I did see another post lower down in this sub forum saying that in-body shake reduction doesn't work with panning shots. That's what many forum posters may say, the posters that haven't used the camera that is. I've used my K10D for panning shots, the image stabilisation stays on all the time, the results have been great.

There's quite a few samples (non bird pics) I've posted on my WPF gallery, same user name as here.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back