• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! (1 Viewer)

My only experience of the Fujifilm HS50 was giving it a 'check over' at the Focus on Imaging show at the NEC in Birmingham, earlier this month.

First impressions were very favourable, the autofocus lived up to Fuji's claim that it is the fastest currently available on any Bridge Camera, it locked on to any target I choose overhead (where the light was rather poor!) quickly with no hunting discernable. In macro mode the camera also seemed capable and the vari-angle lcd is a massive help here. The lcd is top-notch, playback appears lovely and clear.

The one over-riding impression that has stayed with me though is the camera's high quality, I compared it to all the latest bridge camera rival brands; Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sony etc, the Fujifilm HS50 just made them all look rather 'cheap' and plasticky.
The camera is also one of the largest currently offered only being surpassed by the Fuji S-X1, that said it's still a very nice camera in the hand and I felt comfortable with it from the off.

I currently use the Panasonic Lumix FZ150 but I've been rather disappointed with the speed of auto-focus, only last week I missed the chance of a male Hen Harrier within 100 metres of me because the auto-focus failed to lock-on fast enough, it left me with a blurred throw-away image. The HS50 appears to overcome these problems, it also has the extra reach of 1000mm over the FZ150 600mm.

I'm looking forward to seeing some good 'outdoor' images posted here and I then might just invest in the HS50 once the price moves down from its rather steep 'new model price'.

Just a quick tip to any potential UK purchasers who may be using Argos, (the camera is currently at £420.00 on their website) the featured Fujifilm camera bag will not take the HS50 so do not go for the offer that includes it. I already have this camera bag and I've tried getting the camera in it. I've finished up buying a DSLR bag to house the beast!

thats a good point Keith. Like you I already had a Fuji case for my HS10 . The HS50 will squeeze in ...just but its a very poor fit (camera and case on the right) The case on the left is the best fit for the HS50 and will presumably fit the HS20, 25 & HS30 also.

Attachments

• HS50 case.JPG
    HS50 case.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 537
only last week I missed the chance of a male Hen Harrier within 100 metres of me because the auto-focus failed to lock-on fast enough, it left me with a blurred throw-away image. .

thats the one abiding memory I have of my Fuji HS10 ....slow autofocus and slow shot to shot times . So frustrating I've wanted to throw the camera as far as I could at times.

Then again the HS10 has been the best camera I have ever owned. its produced some amazing pictures and made some extraordinary captures . It has given me a life long passion for photography so I should be grateful.

The HS50 address all the issues I had with the HS10.

cracking images Joms, how are you liking your new HS50 ? Iwish we had your natural light levels here in the UK .

We dream of ISO100 over here. ;) Looking forward to seeing some more !:t:

Just got lucky and sunshine popped up in between clouds. Still waitin for more storms here in the east coast.
So far HS50 live up to my expectations and provided me the speed and reach I have missed with the HS30.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My only experience of the Fujifilm HS50 was giving it a 'check over' at the Focus on Imaging show at the NEC in Birmingham, earlier this month.

First impressions were very favourable, the autofocus lived up to Fuji's claim that it is the fastest currently available on any Bridge Camera, it locked on to any target I choose overhead (where the light was rather poor!) quickly with no hunting discernable. In macro mode the camera also seemed capable and the vari-angle lcd is a massive help here. The lcd is top-notch, playback appears lovely and clear.

The one over-riding impression that has stayed with me though is the camera's high quality, I compared it to all the latest bridge camera rival brands; Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sony etc, the Fujifilm HS50 just made them all look rather 'cheap' and plasticky.
The camera is also one of the largest currently offered only being surpassed by the Fuji S-X1, that said it's still a very nice camera in the hand and I felt comfortable with it from the off.

I currently use the Panasonic Lumix FZ150 but I've been rather disappointed with the speed of auto-focus, only last week I missed the chance of a male Hen Harrier within 100 metres of me because the auto-focus failed to lock-on fast enough, it left me with a blurred throw-away image. The HS50 appears to overcome these problems, it also has the extra reach of 1000mm over the FZ150 600mm.

I'm looking forward to seeing some good 'outdoor' images posted here and I then might just invest in the HS50 once the price moves down from its rather steep 'new model price'.

Agree with comments regarding fast autofocus, and the feel of the camera in my hands. when the XS1 was released, the industry correctly predicted that at £700 (£699 to be precise) it was overpriced, and has indeed dropped by £250 approx. I don't think there will be a significant drop immediately for the HS 50.

One of my favourite birding photography sites is Mike Atkinson's. Here is what he has to say regarding bridge cameras

Don't be swayed into thinking that a compact or 'bridge' digital camera with a high zoom ratio and megapixel count will give you comparable results to a DSLR. These cameras have tiny sensors (typically less than a tenth the size of DSLR sensors!) that generate images with high digital noise and little latitude for effective post-processing.They also have poor autofocus and handling for bird photography. I'm not convinced that even the best non-DSLR camera can compete with the cheapest used DSLR gear, so don't waste your money.

Don't think he's aware of the advances set by the HS50

The problem with getting "good outdoor shots" is that looking for a forecast day with sunshine and decent temperature is like looking for a virgin in a maternity ward. I, and everyone I speak to is thoruoughly p****ed off with the weather

Last edited:
...the autofocus lived up to Fuji's claim that it is the fastest currently available on any Bridge Camera, it locked on to any target I choose overhead (where the light was rather poor!) quickly with no hunting discernable.

...I'm looking forward to seeing some good 'outdoor' images posted here and I then might just invest in the HS50 once the price moves down from its rather steep 'new model price'.

Hi Whimbrel, Do you mean you were focusing on bits inside the NEC roof, or did you get a chance to aim at birds in flight? I'm guessing the former! Most images posted here so far demonstrate very fast autofocus at 'garden' range, but I'd really like to know how the camera might handle, say harriers or buzzards in flight, at full zoom at 50-100 metre range. My FZ45 is so painfully slow most of the time. That speed, combined with decent image quality, is what I'm looking for. It would be nice if it could refocus between shots in a burst (as the FZ200 is supposed to) but, if I read the manual right, it cannot.
Brian

Hi Whimbrel, Do you mean you were focusing on bits inside the NEC roof, or did you get a chance to aim at birds in flight? I'm guessing the former! Most images posted here so far demonstrate very fast autofocus at 'garden' range, but I'd really like to know how the camera might handle, say harriers or buzzards in flight, at full zoom at 50-100 metre range. My FZ45 is so painfully slow most of the time. That speed, combined with decent image quality, is what I'm looking for. It would be nice if it could refocus between shots in a burst (as the FZ200 is supposed to) but, if I read the manual right, it cannot.
Brian

let me get this right ;)....you are expecting a camera to be able to refocus after each shot at the rate of 11 fps (frames per second ) at 1000mm focal length? :-O

I doubt you'd be able to track a train through the evf at that focal length but I'll try and capture a gull or something tomorrow if it ever stops raining.

Last edited:
"Hi Whimbrel, Do you mean you were focusing on bits inside the NEC roof, or did you get a chance to aim at birds in flight? I'm guessing the former!"

Hi Brian,

The former - the roof inside the NEC has loads of different angles and bits and pieces hanging down etc, the artificial lights also presented quite a challenge for the HS50 autofocus, yet the camera never failed to hit the target, almost instantly. Flying birds pose a challenge for even DSLR's with quality lenses, which I'm fortunate enough to own, but I really want a lightweight walkabout Bridge Camera that can at least 'lock-on' to flying birds without the frustration of 'hunting' or being woefully slow!!!

We need good light and decent weather so that all the HS50 owners on this thread can get out and show us what the camera is really capable of.

We need good light and decent weather so that all the HS50 owners on this thread can get out and show us what the camera is really capable of.

Actually, Whimbrel, I would like to see more of what the HS50 can do with its autofocus in dim conditions. I'm not seeing many photos of birds that are buried in a dark tangle of twigs as I so often run into and have difficulty getting my P&S camera to focus on. For my goals, that would be a better test of what the camera can do. Though, I agree, being able to clearly capture flying birds is certainly a plus. Not something I hardly ever attempt with my old Canon.

Steve

Actually, Whimbrel, I would like to see more of what the HS50 can do with its autofocus in dim conditions. I'm not seeing many photos of birds that are buried in a dark tangle of twigs as I so often run into and have difficulty getting my P&S camera to focus on. For my goals, that would be a better test of what the camera can do. Though, I agree, being able to clearly capture flying birds is certainly a plus. Not something I hardly ever attempt with my old Canon.

Steve
I'm not sure that i understand why you would find bird shots taken buried in a tangle of twigs acceptable ?

I'd reject any image that wasn't at least a reasonable record shot. its all very well saying I have a shot of a rare bird taken in my garden or whatever but frankly if you cannot see the bird for twigs and foliage and the image is taken at 1/80 ISO 1600 in the dark its useless anyway.;)

What you are asking for would probably defeat the ability of a top level DSLR camera costing $thousands let alone a cheap P&S superzoom .

Lets get realistic here people please.

All the shots you see that I have taken on this thread in the past 2x weeks and on my Flickr account have been taken in the UK in very low light levels. Some of them in a rain and hail storm but all of them taken with absolutely zero sky showing. Overcast and dark .

We are under water here with severe flooding , snow drifts and people dying in their cars :C and you want us to faff about taking ridiculous pictures in that ?

I'm not sure that i understand why you would find bird shots taken buried in a tangle of twigs acceptable ?

I'd reject any image that wasn't at least a reasonable record shot. its all very well saying I have a shot of a rare bird taken in my garden or whatever but frankly if you cannot see the bird for twigs and foliage and the image is taken at 1/80 ISO 1600 in the dark its useless anyway.;)

What you are asking for would probably defeat the ability of a top level DSLR camera costing $thousands let alone a cheap P&S superzoom .

Lets get realistic here people please.

All the shots you see that I have taken on this thread in the past 2x weeks and on my Flickr account have been taken in the UK in very low light levels. Some of them in a rain and hail storm but all of them taken with absolutely zero sky showing. Overcast and dark .

We are under water here with severe flooding , snow drifts and people dying in their cars :C and you want us to faff about taking ridiculous pictures in that ?

Earleybird, old chap, might be better for other interested parties if you could resist your tendency to be so heavy-handed and insulting to other posters. I can think of at least three BF members to whom you've been needlessly ill-mannered and who I'd guess will be unlikely to make more contributions to your threads. Just remember this is a public space, not your personal domain.

Earleybird, old chap, might be better for other interested parties if you could resist your tendency to be so heavy-handed and insulting to other posters. I can think of at least three BF members to whom you've been needlessly ill-mannered and who I'd guess will be unlikely to make more contributions to your threads. Just remember this is a public space, not your personal domain.

suits me fine old chap !:t:

you butter it up how you like but I've got no time for tact where blatant stupidity is concerned , i say it how I see it and if you, or anyone else does'nt like it

you know what you can do .;)

well for any Fuji HS50 owners that are foolhardy enough to still be perusing this thread .
One of the first things that you will need to buy other than a case is a spare battery. You cannot charge these bateries in the camera, they need to be removed and placed in a charger for a few hours. In the meantime you are without the use of the camera.

I took a chance and bought one of the many cheap batteries on ebay at a mere £6.00 (the original Fuji batteries are £50 :eek!:)

. I haven't had a chance yet to test it but it sits fully charged in my new camera case ready for the next time my original battery runs down.
To be honest it doesn't look like that is going to be any time soon .;)

Heres a link to the ebay batteries

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140760244584

Last edited:
Not exactly a small bird in a bush but I think the camera's autofocus did a good job on this moorhen.

f6.4 at 1/30 iso 200

Attachments

• moorhen.jpg
    moorhen.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 428
Hi, Keith -
And thanks for the photo. I most like to try for pictures of birds that are not easily seen. We travel to the tropics regularly and certain birds seldom leave the cover of shrubs or vine tangles. Which, of course, puts them in poor light and has the AF of the typical, mediocre P&S (like mine) camera locking onto a strong brown twig instead of the evasive antbird or wren.
I don't want the bulk or expense of a DSLR despite the higher grade of picture it is sure to provide. And my standards are not necessarily all that high so if the shot is more of a record one rather than a cover for Photography magazine, that's okay with me. Hopefully,I'll get better with time and once in a while get lucky with something close to impressive.
I don't think I was being "blatantly stupid" in my previous post. I would think my approach to photographing birds is not all that uncommon. Not all of us are trying to achieve the same end product.

Steve

If the weather round here picks up on Wednesday I hope to get out for the day with the camera and play around a bit. I'll try to get a few shots of small passerines in bushes.

Not exactly a small bird in a bush but I think the camera's autofocus did a good job on this moorhen.

f6.4 at 1/30 iso 200

Looks pretty good to me. what I can see of the bird looks well in focus. When I tried the camera, I repeat that it was an overcast drizzly day and the camera focused pretty quick with no hunting. I have given up attending some events with the poor weather we have been stuck with, as the only AF lens I have which performs well in low light is the Canon 18 - 135, not surprisingly it cost best part of another camera body (canon 550d), and immediately thought that if this camera performs so well in poor light, then this will not be a reason to go.

As regards batteries, yes a spare (or two) is essential, one reason I prefer a grip as well as the Canon grips have the option for an AA battery tray. Can someone confirm that the HS30 battery is the same as the HS50, because I cannot see any online listing for HS50 battery.

I too have thought re prices, that to have a branded battery seems to cost around the £50 mark, unbranded, save £20, online around a fiver. I have asked on this forum re the life of these cheap batteries and got the response from another member that out of the four batteries he purchased for his camera, the genuine Canon article failed after 18 months, but a couple of the £5 ones still going strong.

I've heard you can sometimes revive a dud battery by freezing & recharging 3 to 4 times, tried this with a mobile phone battery, did not work this time

http://www.wikihow.com/Revive-a-Dead-Laptop-Battery

If the weather round here picks up on Wednesday I hope to get out for the day with the camera and play around a bit. I'll try to get a few shots of small passerines in bushes.

Thanks, Keith. I appreciate the effort for an odd request. It does seem likely this is the best camera for my needs wi
thout going to a DSLR and I will be looking for a place to buy the HS50 soon. Given the response of the AF, has anyone seen the need to use the manual focus? It was what attracted me to this camera in the first place but now, I'm wondering if would be a seldom used function.
Interestingly enough, my first camera I used while traveling and birding was a Fuji Film. It died the second day on my first trip to southeast Arizona, and I thought I'd never get another of that brand.
Never say never -

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back