• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High praise for Swarovski repair dept. (1 Viewer)

Wetstuff

My wife's 8x20Bs are certainly not top catalog but the U.S. repair station exceeded any expectations in servicing these glasses. The principal issue was a loose (what I'd call) 'compaction' hinge. The glasses were workable, but annoying. They now even have a little silver eagle. 'Public thanks.

Jim

A few years ago I dropped my 10x42 SLC's and broke one one of the eyecups. They were returned to Swarovski via the dealer and I expected a long wait or expensive repair bill. Much to my surprise they were returned (repaired, serviced and good as new) in just a couple of weeks and all for the cost of postage to Austria. I can't rate them highly enough.

Cheers.

I had a lens coating issue on one of the objective lenses on my pair of CL Companions. I had the dealer that I purchased them from return them to Swarovski for inspection/repair. Within a couple of weeks, a brand new pair was returned to me, replacing my older pair ! I was also contacted by their customer service department concerning the replacement, making sure I was completely satisfied. I would call that great customer service!! Ed

The focus wheel on my 8.5x42 EL SV was sticking. I sent them to Swarovski for repair. i couldn't be more happier with their service. The wheel is now butter smooth in all directions. They look brand new! This is why I bought Swarovskis. World class product and world class customer service.

So I have this old 10x25 SLC with deteriorated rubber eyecups that I bought in 1993. Placed a call to SONA a few days ago, and within two minutes a replacement pair was already in the mail. No charge!

Can't get better than that.

Ed

So I have this old 10x25 SLC with deteriorated rubber eyecups that I bought in 1993. Placed a call to SONA a few days ago, and within two minutes a replacement pair was already in the mail. No charge!

Can't get better than that.

Ed

Ed

Was that a pair of 10x25s in the mail?
Or a pair of eyecups?
It makes a difference.

Just joking ;)

Lee

Swarovski CS !

I would love to tour the Swaro plant like some have.

The story above is true, and credit likely goes to Gail Fisher who for many years has headed the repair department at SONA. Here's a link to that story:

http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2008/08/swarovski-optik.html

I always enjoy watching Ben Lizda's (of Eagle Optics) video from 2013 of a little visit to SONA's headquarters. While certainly there are some slightly staged scenes here (likely just for the video's production continuity) I also get the feeling everyone involved (Dean, Gail, Clay, Mr. Wannenmacher) is genuinely friendly and receptive. I've met Ben and Clay and I was immediately impressed with both of them. GRANTED, they work in sales and marketing/communication respectively (so you might say it's their "job" to be friendly), but they are stand up guys.

Gail is featured in this video also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y42S4nhHbt0

Thanks for this information, David (from the Leica "dreadful CS" topic). Wonderful story and nice SONA visit by Ben w\Eagle Optics! :t:

Though it good to re-post here under the Swaro CS topic!! :king:

Ted

Think I posted about this before, but anyway... I bought a pair of Swaro Habicht 10x40s in 1990, and was always very happy with them (last year I went crackers and splashed out on 10x42 EL SVs, Zeiss Conquest 8x32s and Leica Ultravid 8x20s, but the Habicht, now given to a relative, are still decent bins). After about a year, a tiny amount of slackness developed in the focusing. Took them to a local optical dealer and asked if they could fix it, though many people would think it not worth it as the bins were entirely usable. Got a call a couple of weeks later to say they were ready. It turned out the dealer had sent them to Swarovski in Austria. The problem, such as it was, had been fixed and no more slackness developed. This cost me nothing except tube fare to the dealer's shop, and I wasn't even asked for proof of purchase. You can't complain about that!

The focus wheel on my 8.5x42 EL SV was sticking. I sent them to Swarovski for repair. i couldn't be more happier with their service. The wheel is now butter smooth in all directions. They look brand new! This is why I bought Swarovskis. World class product and world class customer service.

Similar issue with my new SLC 10x42's. After 2 weeks of use, developed a stiction in both directions, accompanied by an o-ring type squeaking. SONA quickly replaced the whole focuser unit and I was back in business with smooth, even tension that was just right!

Ted

On Monday I discovered that my SLC's had a severely damaged eyecup, which had snapped and no long twisted up\down after a recent trip. I emailed Swarovski on Monday about this and on Tuesday they requested the serial number. I am delighted to say that I've just arrived home to find that they have send me a new pair of eyecups and mounts completely free of charge. Excellent service indeed.

On Monday I discovered that my SLC's had a severely damaged eyecup, which had snapped and no long twisted up\down after a recent trip. I emailed Swarovski on Monday about this and on Tuesday they requested the serial number. I am delighted to say that I've just arrived home to find that they have send me a new pair of eyecups and mounts completely free of charge. Excellent service indeed.

:t:

After five years of continual use I can't say my 8.5 SV has a "buttery smooth" focus.

And yet I can't care about it either.

It works like all get out. It just snaps into focus.

Would some Zeiss/Nikon uber focus be "better"? Well, I couldn't care less.

I look at birds not focus knobs.

Mark

After five years of continual use I can't say my 8.5 SV has a "buttery smooth" focus.

And yet I can't care about it either.

It works like all get out. It just snaps into focus.

Would some Zeiss/Nikon uber focus be "better"? Well, I couldn't care less.

I look at birds not focus knobs.

Mark
Send it in to SONA and it about a month it will be butter smooth. I wonder what they do to it? They said they aligned it too whatever that means on a roof prism. It was superb before now it is sensational.

Send it in to SONA and it about a month it will be butter smooth. I wonder what they do to it? They said they aligned it too whatever that means on a roof prism. It was superb before now it is sensational.

Den

There is a lot to be said for not being hypnotised / obsessed with characteristics of our bins if they don't actually interfere with viewing. Lots of folks find this hard to do with specific things like CA or astigmatism or a focuser that is stiffer in one direction than the other.

If Mark doesn't suffer from this then congratulations to him.

Lee

Thanks, Dennis. I'm confident that, if I can ever manage to turn the focus into an "issue" SONA will quickly make it right.

No luck so far though. ;)

And I know what "butter smooth" focusers feel like. My Zen Prime 8x42 has one, for instance. My 8x32 SV has one. Heck, my $27 Olympus 8x25 reverse porro Tracker has one too. I've had maybe three Nikons that had it. It's just not a big selling point with me.

The 8.5 SV is actually very smooth, but it has a little pushback, a little stiction, and I actually like that. A little nudge and "bang" the world comes into focus.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back