• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

Peter
Ye have set the bar high in Louth so lets hope. Would be nice to have similar treads for other counties.
Just had a Twite at Nimmo's possible 5 not sure as someone distrubed them before I could be sure, but more then likely 4 Linnet. (2.10pm)
Tom

Well done. I think it was Tim Griffin Iwas talking to about setting up a feeding station for Twite at Nemos. I will try to get the reference. I know somewhere in Britain they are doing it quite successfully. Anybody reading this thread know about feeding Twite? If you do could you forward a website or link or reference please, that would be great.

I cant believe there are no gull photos up yet. So let me be the first. They are from 29th and 30th December 2007.

Attachments

• icelandgull.jpg
    icelandgull.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 449
  • herringgull.jpg
    herringgull.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 451
  • herringgull1.jpg
    herringgull1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 426
  • ringbilled gull.jpg
    ringbilled gull.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 477
And this Argentatus Herring Gull

I just noticed this while uploading the picture. Paul Kelly picked out the Argentatus Gull. The brown mantle feathers are brown with a narrow cream fringe, giving it a darker backed appearance is this a diagnostic feature in Argentatus?

The normal Argenteus Herring Gull is below. The mantle feathers on the Argenteus have a more marbled pattern.

Attachments

• Agentatus herring Gull.jpg
    Agentatus herring Gull.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Tom
Nice shot for your first attempt. A difficult bird to photo. What is your setup?

Thanks, the scope is good, Kowa 823M, but the camera is pretty rubbish. Hitachi HDC-55IE. Just got lucky with bird, popped up in front of me so worth a try digiscoping it. Bit of practice needed but really just want to get a semi recognisable shot for id purposes.
Just hand held camera at 20x on a zoom.
Nice gull pics.

Last edited:
Gulls as per your request

A couple of Icelands and the American Herring Gull

Attachments

• DSC00222 060108.jpg
    DSC00222 060108.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 449
  • DSC00237 060108.jpg
    DSC00237 060108.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCN1516 120108.jpg
    DSCN1516 120108.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 482
Hello all,
Would anybody happen to have directions for Cartron? I found Cartron on the Discovery map but I don't know the area at all. A Grid Reference would be very useful. Any help appreciated

Tom
From Galway drive out the Tuam Road, after Claregalway take the left turn at the Central Tavern , 3 miles turn right just before Peggys Bar, then take the next right at about 50 meters. About 500 meters there is a large grey shed on the left close to the road, there is plenty of room to park the car. Tim Griffin had the birds in a small field on the right. The birds were orginally found near the grey shed on the left. The farmer is very helpful.
Photos taken 30/12/08 about two fields in behind the farmers house at a large shed.
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN1344 241207 bg.jpg
    DSCN1344 241207 bg.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN2109 241207.jpg
    DSCN2109 241207.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 259
  • PICT0442 241207 bg.jpg
    PICT0442 241207 bg.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 262
Thanks a million Tom. Very full directions. Won't get chance to go until Sunday so fingers crossed. Long stayers anyhow. So far ;)
Very nice pics by the way. They're not called Cattle Egrets for nothing

Last edited:
Well done. I think it was Tim Griffin Iwas talking to about setting up a feeding station for Twite at Nemos. I will try to get the reference. I know somewhere in Britain they are doing it quite successfully. Anybody reading this thread know about feeding Twite? If you do could you forward a website or link or reference please, that would be great.

I cant believe there are no gull photos up yet. So let me be the first. They are from 29th and 30th December 2007.

Peter,
Just googled Twite feeding station and got a few hits. Twite were provided with supplementary food at a research site in the Pennines. From my brief read it seemed they were fed at or near breeding sites.
Tom

BirdWatch Galway are hosting an illustrated talk this Friday evening (25th
January) at 8PM at the Anno Santo Hotel, Salthill, Galway.

The talk is titled 'The social life of Choughs in Connemara' and it will be
given by Mike Trewby (Conservation Officer with BirdWatch Ireland who has
been working on Chough ecology and conservation).

There is no entry fee, but donations can be made on the evening and will be
gratefully received.

Michael Davis had a 1st winter American Herring Gull on the slipway at Nimmo's yesterday. Tim Griffin reported seeing it this morning (10.15am).

Might get over to Galway for a day next week - that bufflehead didn't return to lake ateduan (sp?) by any chance, is it worth a visit?

Peter,
Just googled Twite feeding station and got a few hits. Twite were provided with supplementary food at a research site in the Pennines. From my brief read it seemed they were fed at or near breeding sites.
Tom

The Pennines sounds right. It still might be worth trying them with niger at the pier to keep them around.Especially this time of year as seeds start running out coming into springtime.

We have a feeding station at Dublin Zoo which is great for Redpoll. Up to 50 feeding on the ground in March the last two years. They only seem to arrive as the natural food sources gets depleated. In the new year numbers start building up till march. Then a sharp decline early April. If the Twite get the hang of it they might well come back year after year. Were Twite more regular at Nemos in the 80s and 90s? There might still be a small flock doing the rounds in Galway Bay. In Dundalk Bay they seem to move around quite a bit probably in response to new feeding opportunities.

Nice shots of the Gulls and Cattle Egret. One of them would be nice at Cruisetown Strand.

Just back from Nimmo's. The 1st winter American Herring Gull was there for about 15 minutes along with 8 Iceland and 2 Glaucous Gulls. Will post a few picts this evening.
Twite are scarce at Nimmo's prior to the single the other day it was 2005 I had 4 together at the pier.

A few things of note today....a flock of 20+ common scoter off Black Rock, and at Mutton Island a 1st-year Med gull & 4 little gulls.

Yesterday I found a large starling roost beyond Monivea, after initially following a couple of roost-bound flocks 8km away. The roost turned out to be in a spruce plantation, and when I arrived birds appeared to be streaming in at a rate of about 300 per second (very hard to estimate though). This continued for 20 minutes or so - do the maths and you get 360000! May be some were flying round in a big circle to fool me, but I'll hopefully get a better idea next time I'm out that way. I've not heard of any roosts closer to Galway, but would be interested to hear if anyone knows of any.

Troakie

Paul/Troakie
The only Starling roost that I know of is at the reeds at Menlo Pier, but would not have the numbers you have encountered at Monivea. A wonderful sight.
Tom

Three photos taken to day at Nimmo's
Group photo of 7 white wing Gulls
1st winter American herring Gull with 1st winter Glaucous Gull
1st winter American herring Gull in flight

Attachments

• DSC00362 250108 bg.jpg
    DSC00362 250108 bg.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00385 250108.jpg
    DSC00385 250108.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC00390 250108.jpg
    DSC00390 250108.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 464
Fantastic to see a local patch for Galway. Hope it sparks off lots of new ones around Ireland. Will keep dipping in to see what's new! Excellent!!

Photos taken 30/12/08

Wow thats some bird predictions going on there! :-O

I'm watching the news of gulls at nimmos's pier daily at the moment. I will be over in Ireland in march, and though it wont be a birding trip as such i'll definately be going to nimmo's.
I wondered if anyone had a map or could mock one up to show the piers location and give some tips on best viewing conditions. It would be much appreciated

Cheers

Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back