• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from UK newbie.... (1 Viewer)

speedytortoise

Hi everyone. I've joined to ask questions as I love watching the birds in my garden. It's surrounded by trees, and now I have a big bi-fold door fitted I have a fabulous view (although have been concerned that quite a few birds have flown into the door :( there seem to have been no injuries so far)
I have all the usual suspects, Blackbirds, Robins, Sparrows and Dunnocks, Tits (Blue, Great and Log-Tailed) Finches (Bull, Green, Gold) Pigeons, Magpies, Collared Doves, an occasional Wren, and my favourite (just) Nuthatch. A very infrequent Woodpecker (which I think is the Greater Spotted) and even more infrequent, a Buzzard or Red Kite - on the few occasions I've seen him/her, I've not had change to check the tail, which I believe is the easiest way to tell them apart.
In previous years the Magpies seem to have taken the Blackbird eggs/young, but this year Dad is feeding 2 big healthy fledglings :)
I don't know much about birds, other than I have tried to identify any that are regulars, so hope to learn more here. :)

Hi speedytortoise and welcome to BirdForum. You can get stick on silhouettes to put windows which hopefully would reduce collisions.

Rich

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi speedytortoise and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

In addition to Rich's idea about the stickers, I think that birds sometimes fly into windows when they can see right through to another window and think there's a through-route..... or, there may be a tree or bush reflected in there, and they think it's somewhere to shelter in.

It's worth investigating these possibilities too.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find it a great place to hang out.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back