• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An early reminder...... (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hi all,
I've just been brousing through the Radio Times whilst having my morning coffee and noticed that on Friday at 9pm on BBC 2 there is a program all about the life and work of Sir Peter Scott entitled a "Passion for Nature".
We've seen it before and thoroughly enjoyed it but thought I'd post anyway just in case any of you haven't???:t:
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the reminder, this programme is definitely worth a second view. It's one of those programmes worth recording & keeping to watch when you cant get out & feel like indulging yourself in a birding pick-me-up.

He was a truly incredible inspirational man with a wonderful family who supported him & continue his work today.

Thumbs up from me, thanks Ruth :t:

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the reminder, this programme is definitely worth a second view. It's one of those programmes worth recording & keeping to watch when you cant get out & feel like indulging yourself in a birding pick-me-up.

He was a truly incredible inspirational man with a wonderful family who supported him & continue his work today.

Thumbs up from me, thanks Ruth :t:
Glad you enjoyed it the first time too Pie,he certainly was an inspiration and I for one am looking forward to another viewing!:t:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder Ruth. I can't remember if I have seen this or not but will watch it anyway. I have always been a great fan of Peter Scott. As a young man he used to shoot the wildfowl, but became a great conservationist. I realise that there are those who would argue that shooting and conservation need not be seperated!

Hi Ruth,

Thanks, I'll look forward to that. I've got three of his 'Travel Diaries of a Naturalist' and an excellent read they are, I'd recommend them if you can find a copy.

Bill.

I've got three of his 'Travel Diaries of a Naturalist' and an excellent read they are, I'd recommend them if you can find a copy.
Thanks for the tip Bill,I certainly will!:t:
We've got a great 2nd hand book place near us,it's huge like an old warehouse and we very often go for a mooch....I have a "wanted" list so I'll add them to it!
Thats how I managed to get hold of a copy of "All the birds of the air" by Greenoak after your recommendation!
Best wishes,

Thanks Ruth. I haven't seen it, but when I get off here I'll set record on my hard-drive so I can't forget it, I would otherwise. LOL!!.

All the best.
Baz.

Well I certainly enjoyed the programme. Wish we had more like it. I hadn't seen it before and although I know much of Peter Scott's history I found it really interesting. For anyone interested in his art work the 'The Art of Peter Scott...Images of a Lifetime' is a great book. As the programme suggested his paintings of wildfowl take some beating.

Just to be a devil, I was wondering what those of you who are not entirely in favour of bird ringing thought of the rockets and netting?

Hi Brian,
I have no objection to ringing, when it is done straight away, and close to the nest. However I do object when the birds are kept in captivity,
for shows just to show the ringers skill. The main reason I don't object, is because I can think of no better way of obtaining the information ringing provides. The same feeling occurs with rocket netting, I cannot think of a better way of capturing a large number of birds in one go.
George

Thanks again Ruth...I was right..I hadnt seen it. What a great programme it was too, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Can you imagine being able to live in a house like that, with all those birds right outside your living room window ;) ~ wonderful!

Best wishes

Thanks again Ruth...I was right..I hadnt seen it. What a great programme it was too, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Can you imagine being able to live in a house like that, with all those birds right outside your living room window ;) ~ wonderful!
Glad you enjoyed it Dizzy,Brian too!:t:
Oh yes a view like that would be marvellous wouldn't it?
Think of all the housework you wouldn't do!!!!!:eek!:

Brian his artwork is stunning ....I can't imagine how anyone can make such stunning pictures come to life such as he does...amazing!!
Ringing,is good for study/info as long as it's done properly and with the safety of the birds put first!
Best wishes,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back