• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Call yourself a birdwatcher?????? (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hi all,
For the past few weeks as I've been walking through the village I've been hearing very odd birdsong coming from someone's back garden.
I've been coming home and going through my bird books and listening to my CD's all to no avail?
This bird must be a real rarity I've been thinking!
A first for this area maybe??
Then this morning as I was walking the same road and I heard the song again.....so clear and again like nothing I'd ever heard before???
As I drew level with the garden where it always seems to be the loudest I notice that some work is being done and that the side gate and fences are down enabling me to see........
.......a huge aviary full of Parrots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|:$| |:$| |:$|

LOL!! How embarrassing that could have been if you'd reported this strange sounding bird! Glad you solved the mystery.
I heard some unfamiliar calls whilst up a hill recently. Soon realised they were coming from a farm where they probably had all sorts of geese and chickens etc! Oh well.

Hi Ruth,

It happens to us all sooner or later, we hear something that sounds different and.......

I've got 2 (at least) rules for that.

1. If it's in someone's garden or farm etc I assume it's a captive or domestic.

2. If I'm in a wood I follow Bill Oddie's comment 'Anything that you hear that you don't recognise is a Great Tit'

Still, I like Parrots.

Bill

Hi all,
For the past few weeks as I've been walking through the village I've been hearing very odd birdsong coming from someone's back garden.
I've been coming home and going through my bird books and listening to my CD's all to no avail?
This bird must be a real rarity I've been thinking!
A first for this area maybe??
Then this morning as I was walking the same road and I heard the song again.....so clear and again like nothing I'd ever heard before???
As I drew level with the garden where it always seems to be the loudest I notice that some work is being done and that the side gate and fences are down enabling me to see........
.......a huge aviary full of Parrots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|:$| |:$| |:$|

Ha ha Ruth! I wonder if they were all called Polly;)

Lol Ruth!

As Kezza says, at least you didn't report it! But hey, just wait for the day when it does happen, and there's no aviary nearby!

Oh Ruth, hee-hee-hee, it'snice to know it's not just beginners like me that make these sort of gaffes! LOL
Thanks for sharing your embarrassment, very brave of you.
My Best to You Ruth,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back