• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (8 Viewers)

fredbern said:
Still fresh in my memory is one such evening when a barn owl, totally oblivious to the fact that I was thigh deep in the river, landed on a post beside me and began to eat its catch with amazing gusto. I didn't move a muscle for what seemed like ages as I reckoned it was one of those 'once in a lifetime' events. Gerry and I still fish the river but sadly the sightings of barn owls are now a rarity. One small consolation occurred early in the new year when I heard the characteristic 'screech' while standing at my back door late one evening. Unfortunately though I didn't manage to see the bird but it was nice to hear and then take a trip down memory lane.
Wow, you were so lucky to have such a great view of the owl Freddie. I am hoping that there might be a barn owl nesting in Parsonstown (close to Cruictown). One was sighted at the end of the Summer and apparently they have nested at this site for many years. Its a mucky spot, I nearly lost my wellie in a lake of mud when I tried to access the field yesterday. I will check it out over the next week or so.
Hope the weather lifts for the outing in Carlingford today.
Re the bird seed, the shop in Castlebellingham only has a few of the small bags left and Goldcrop in Dunleer don't stock it. There are shops in Drogheda and Navan that do sell birdseed, I will put the prices up when they get back to me. Sorry for the delay Gareth.

Last edited:
MargaretM said:
Wow, you were so lucky to have such a great view of the owl Freddie. I am hoping that there might be a barn owl nesting in Parsonstown (close to Cruictown). One was sighted at the end of the Summer and apparently they have nested at this site for many years. Its a mucky spot, I nearly lost my wellie in a lake of mud when I tried to access the field yesterday. I will check it out over the next week or so.
Hope the weather lifts for the outing in Carlingford today.
Re the bird seed, the shop in Castlebellingham only has a few of the small bags left and Goldcrop in Dunleer don't stock it. There are shops in Drogheda and Navan that do sell birdseed, I will put the prices up when they get back to me. Sorry for the delay Gareth.

Its no problem i'll probably buy some at that pet store on the Newry road that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but thanks for looking anyway.

the scope on sale at aldi today is well worth the 36 euro. bought one for the young fellow and was suprised at the quality( for the price) would recommend for a first scope for anyone starting

Peter Phillips said:
dfd said:
Hi Peter,

What's the story re access to Loch Fea at present. As far as I know it's on the Shirley Estate and I remember them being sniffy about access previously.

I not sure, I did not look for anyboby to ask first. Heading for Kingscourt from carrick, I took the left turn after the estate with sighposts for two lakes(Descart lough). About 1km up this road(the estate still on your left) there is a double silver gate I parked here and walked 100 metres straight up the track to the ornate bridge and viewed the lake from here.

Peter,

Caught up that RND this morning - thanks for info.

Dave

Peter Phillips said:
Sound promising. The birds may have lost their roost/nest site. Its not to far from where I live. Which side of the M1 is it on? I might meet up with you there some evening if it suits?

Peter,

I would be delighted if we took a walk or two along the river. A bit early in the season yet but let's pencil that one in the diaries for later on. I still have your mobile number so I will contact you. If Margaret and Sandra are interested it might be a good idea to stake ourselves out along a stretch of the river and that way cover more ground.

The river Dee runs almost parallel to and not far from the N33 link road from the M1 to Ardee. A point of interest - since that road was built I have not heard one quail calling in the evenings. This was once part and parcel of the evenings fishing. On a calm sultry evening the characteristic pit-pill-it call can be heard fields away.

Has anyone received their Birdwatch Ireland Magazine yet this year? I'm not sure when its due but I moved address recently and fear that I might not receive it.

gareth2005 said:
Has anyone received their Birdwatch Ireland Magazine yet this year? I'm not sure when its due but I moved address recently and fear that I might not receive it.
I haven't received mine yet so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Eric Dempsey's outing and talk on Saturday was enjoyable and an excellent turnout.

I picked up these pellets in Parsonstown yesterday. They were in a place where barn owls are known to roost but as they aren't black and shiny they might not be barn owl pellets, does anyone know what they are? One of them is darker than the others so they might be from 2 different birds. There was a kestrel around the area so that's one possibility.

Attachments

• pellets 120207.JPG
    pellets 120207.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 107
ardnasx1 said:
I haven't received mine yet so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Eric Dempsey's outing and talk on Saturday was enjoyable and an excellent turnout.

I picked up these pellets in Parsonstown yesterday. They were in a place where barn owls are known to roost but as they aren't black and shiny they might not be barn owl pellets, does anyone know what they are? One of them is darker than the others so they might be from 2 different birds. There was a kestrel around the area so that's one possibility.

Hi Sandra,

The pellets on the left are old pellets-hence the bleaching and dried out look. The pellet on the left looks good. I will send the picture on to the chap who is doing his pHD on Barn Owls (if thats ok) and he should know.

Peter

Peter Phillips said:
Hi Sandra,

The pellets on the left are old pellets-hence the bleaching and dried out look. The pellet on the left looks good. I will send the picture on to the chap who is doing his pHD on Barn Owls (if thats ok) and he should know.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I already emailed it to him though so no need. when I hear back from him I'll post the results.

Freddie, I forgot to say I'll certainly be on for the stake out, just let us know when you think would be best.

For the record there were 4 carrion crows and one hyprid carrion x grey at carlingford this evening + at least 150 jackdaws. Also the long billed dowitcher was on show at dundalk docks on saturday and sunday.

Work on black guillemot nesting cavities is progressing both at giles and at port oriel with a few hiccups - should be ready by the time the birds return.

Oscar had 200 greylags, 250 brent and a pinkfoot at lurgangreen on saturday. Foye wood was extremely quiet today - goldcreasts and treecreepers....

About 40 brave hearts turned out for the outing and talk in carlingford on saturday and while the birds could have been more cooperative, the talk was fascinating. Thanks to evrybody!

Last edited:
gareth2005 said:
Its no problem i'll probably buy some at that pet store on the Newry road that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but thanks for looking anyway.

Gareth. Apologies for the delay in coming back with prices. I checked my receipt for Jolleys Newry - I got sunflower seed and peanuts - one was £1.19/kg and other £1.49/kg - roughly €1.80 and €2.25 per kg. Problem is the receipt dosn't show which is which!

fredbern said:
On the subject of barn owls, fellow birder and superb angler Gerry Keenan and I have been treated to some wonderful views of barn owls over the years while fishing the evening rise on the river Dee at Stabannon/Richardstown. The evening rise occurs when female (mainly) sedge flies alight on the river surface to oviposit following the mating game. This usually happens at dusk from late April/early May onwards, weather dependent. This is also barn owl time! Still fresh in my memory is one such evening when a barn owl, totally oblivious to the fact that I was thigh deep in the river, landed on a post beside me and began to eat its catch with amazing gusto. I didn't move a muscle for what seemed like ages as I reckoned it was one of those 'once in a lifetime' events. Gerry and I still fish the river but sadly the sightings of barn owls are now a rarity. One small consolation occurred early in the new year when I heard the characteristic 'screech' while standing at my back door late one evening. Unfortunately though I didn't manage to see the bird but it was nice to hear and then take a trip down memory lane.
thanks for reminding me of the evenings fishing/birding, at this time I would like to say hi to everyone and intoduce myself, some of you may have seen me out and about the odd time with my good friend Freddie. his message about the barn owl reminded me of an other evening in the same area, I was watching a barn owl hunting from post to post coming towards me, when it got to the post the other side of the river from me it looked across the river then proceeded to fly directly towards me,I tried to stay as still as possible but when I seen them talons inchs from my head I ducked, I hope to join in a stake out some evening, Gerry k.

Togher/Keenans Cross Ponds

I went to visit Togher and Keenans Cross ponds today. I have attached some pictures. I hope I am not mixing them up. Togher 1 acre pond on 50 acres of rough grass(old asbestos dump). Keenans cross pond 50 acres maybe 15-20 acre pond and the rest scrub/rough grassland. If anyboby thinks different let me know. Togher first pics then Keenans.
Despite the no shooting signs the birds are very wary.So you are probably right about the shooting.

Went to Lough Fea where the Ring-necked Duck and female Long-tailed Duck were reported yesterday, but no luck.

I got one nice picture of yellowhammer in the garden attached.

Having problem uploading will post Keenans pics later

Peter

Attachments

• Yellowhammer garden.jpg
    Yellowhammer garden.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Togher Pond sign copy.jpg
    Togher Pond sign copy.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Togher Pond copy.jpg
    Togher Pond copy.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 118
Keenans Cross pond Pics

Attached are pics of the other pond

Peter

Attachments

• Keenans Cross Pond sign copy.jpg
    Keenans Cross Pond sign copy.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Keenanscrosspond.jpg
    Keenanscrosspond.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 140
Enda said:
the scope on sale at aldi today is well worth the 36 euro. bought one for the young fellow and was suprised at the quality( for the price) would recommend for a first scope for anyone starting

Good value if you could get one - there should be alot of new birders out there this week judging by the speed the scopes sold out in the Aldi store in Dundalk! I know a few people who were disappointed at not getting one.
I got a pair of Meade binocs in Aldi a few years ago for a very reasonable price and the quality and reliabilty has been very good.

Last edited:
gerry k said:
thanks for reminding me of the evenings fishing/birding, at this time I would like to say hi to everyone and intoduce myself, some of you may have seen me out and about the odd time with my good friend Freddie.
Hi Gerry and welcome to the forum. From what yourself and Freddie have said that area on the Dee certainly sounds like an ideal spot to look for barn owls and hopefully the stake out will be successful.

It turns out those pellets are kestrel pellets. I found more today which were darker and I sent them on to the barn owl fella and he confirmed they were from a kestrel.

Peter, I think you have those ponds the right way around, the pond at Keenan's Cross is near Nannie's pub and is not the one with the asbestos warnings.

ardnasx1 said:
Peter, I think you have those ponds the right way around, the pond at Keenan's Cross is near Nannie's pub and is not the one with the asbestos warnings.

Agreed on the location of keenans - google maps is quite good for identifiying locations: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...60221,-6.32452&spn=0.022627,0.050983&t=h&om=1
I don't know the asbestos pond but the presence of asbestos could be great in conservation terms, in that asbestos is perfectly safe as long as it is not disturbed, so any development of the site would entail huge cost. It would even preclude shooting...but where exactly is the Togher pond?

Togher pond map

Attached(I hope) is a location for Togher pond its east of Togher which is east again of Keenans Cross pond.

There is not as much water present at the site at the moment. There is a drainage channel from the biggest waterbody keeping it artificially low.

Might be good for breeding snipe? Although the soil seems to be clay based so it might not hold much invertabrates

Peter

Attachments

• Louth Ponds.jpg
    Louth Ponds.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 145
Just to add to Peter's directions for Togher pond, if you came up the road from where the yellow wagtail was last year (ie road parallel to Hermitage), go straight on at the crossroads and continue on up there and the pond is on the left. Look for Boycetown on the ordnance survey 36. You can't miss the signs for the asbestos. It was proposed as a Natural Heritage Area a year or so ago after rare orchids were found there which will hopefully put an end to efforts to turn it into a dump or recycling centre.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back