• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull not able to extend a wing and not fed (1 Viewer)

luiceur

Hi guys,

We have bee seeing from our window the growing of 2 baby seagulls. They were born in mid July. We have also seen that one of them is not able to extend one wing. The wing does not seen to be broken but it just cannot use it.
Today the other chick left flying away and the parents don't seem to be feeding the other one.
Is this normal? Does it need more time to fly and extend that wing?

Probably a congenital defect. You'd need to catch it and take it to a vet to see if anything can be done to help it. Without help, it will just die of starvation, sadly.

PS welcome to Birdforum!

I called RSPCA on Sunday,a rescuer came and said that is is unlikely the wing is broken and agreed to give it some more days. Days pass and he/she does not make any progress. So I am going to call them again. I've made a video in case experts want to see it.

If the bird is begging and its own parents are still present (as opposed to other opportunistic birds about) then they should continue feeding it? (Have seen 1st year birds begging sucessfully into Jan before)

We rescued a Herring Gull at Aberlady Bay once one of whose wings it was unable to open. We found the cause was hardened chewing gum (which the bird had presumably thought was food, and then tried to wipe off from its bill). Sensitively removed with a small pen- knife, the bird then flew away.

You're best bet is to find a wildlife rescue centre who may be willing to help. Sadly gulls are viewed by many as being vermin / plentiful / not worth bothering with for a variety of reasons.
Nature can appear cruel but it is the survival of the fittest, difficult to witness sometimes.

I've searched the internet and found the following........

Scottish SPCA
Scottish Animal Welfare

Both of which list wildlife as part of their remit.

Yes, thanks. I phoned those guys up. The problem is that they will need to call the firefighters and that has a cost. They have said to give it a few more days, but I think it will die soon.

Very difficult to witness indeed! I feel helpless and powerless.

So, I am going to jump and get the bird myself. RSPCA are not willing to help because of the price of calling the fire brigade. Can anyone give me some hints to catch it? The mother is still around so I was planning to use my motorcycle helmet.
Thanks

If as aI suspect it is a Herring Gull, or one of the larger species I would wear the helmet, and some eye protection as the adults will attack you as they're still about. Take a thick picnic type blanket or sheet and throw it over the youngster. Gloves would also help, look at that bill.
Good luck.

Why would the RSPCA need to call the fire Brigade for a young gull rescue?

They ( all the above named charities ), by law, have to carry out a risk assessment, then probably decide that sending an employee or volunteer onto a roof is ( as commented ) against their H & S policy....... better to request an experienced and trained person to work at height. It's the modern world we now live amongst.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm guessing they'd have to call the fire brigade as its on a (flat or pitched?) roof and they'd have to use ladders ... does make some sense not to risk random volunteer human lives ... and yes, good to see the parents must still be feeding it if its survived this long?

I caught a nearly full size juv Herring Gull in the street the other week for someone as I was leaving Weatherspoons in Falmouth - an employee was trying to collect it for pick up by the RSPCA but not having much luck. Essentially try and corner it and either grab it or throw a coat/old blanket over it as mentioned.

Move slowly initially, and if on a roof be prepared to abandon the exercise if it puts you in an awkward position (common sense).

A normal cap/hat should suffice as opposed to a helmet imo - you don't want to restrict your movements/visibility and you are unlikely to suffer real injury/contact normally from a gull (but can seem scary) ... but a hard hat (or a helmet) may be pretty useful if you're up at height, even if you don't intend to not be quicker than you expect ...

Last edited:
Mum is still around. It is not fed as often as it used to, and the baby gull has almost entirely stopped trying any more. I am not sure if it is better to wait till mum is gone or doing it now.
The roof is flat, and it can be accessed from a Waitrose car park with a normal ladder. But H. & S. seems an issue for RSPCA. I also considered to call the fire brigade myself but I guess they will do nothing unless I pay.
Is anyone in Edinburgh able to give me a hand?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back