• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the Noctivid about? (2 Viewers)

Perhaps Chosen can chime in with discussion of the green ham...we have had discussions ad nausea regarding color...contrast....brightness? (what is that anyway). All of it is subjective.
I will put this way, Renze is right the NV is a great 8X42 which provides great resolution. IMHO Leica along with Nikon provides great color in their glass, some like the warm enrichment and some hate it...and prefer the colder tones, it is a matter preference and taste.

Andy,

You got me thinking... there are obviously many on this forum who use and keep several marques of binoculars, as we know. Part of it is a search for perfection (what fools we are ;-) ) but also I suppose many of us like to have something different on the menu, just as we like to wear different clothes and colours of clothes from day to day. It occurred to me the other day when wondering if I already had more binoculars than I could ever need that actually I like different colour renderings BUT NOT IN CLOSE SUCCESSION. I.e. it's a bit disturbing when testing different glass side by side to see the colours of blossom, foliage, flowers, weathered stone, plumage, even the sky change, but if you use one on one day and maybe another a day or two later, it's quite satisfying to enjoy the different nuances. Do you feel the same? I know some don't, of course, which is fine (of course)!

Best wishes,

Tom

I can answer the OP question.

The Noctivid is about Leica selling one more genuinely beautiful alpha bino to people who already bought the classic x42 a few years ago. And there will be a Nocivid x32 for the same reason, eventually for the x32 crowd. The problem with binoculars is that the customers insist on products which last forever and get fixed for free, so one needs to rebrand to sell tehm the same thing again and again.

And btw I tried the Noctivid and it gave me a headache, at least the sample I tried did. I watched some birds 300 or 400 meters away, flying and perched, and the contrast with the cloudy sky was painful. Nice optics but somehow an excessive impression of light, and a headache for some reason within a few minutes. I can and have spent an hour behind my UV 7x42 with pleasure.I totally hate my Victory Pockets, but they just give me a sharp image at the price of some mild eyestrain, not a headache.

My take on this is that anyone who has a Leica glass and spare cash can go get a Zeiss x42 SF instead of some Leica gear, and enjoy some genuine well thought out incremental user-centric redesign of a classic roof. Not that the old Leica gear is bad. And Zeiss users with too much cash can get the Noctivid and enjoy its beautiful stylish look, although functionally what they have already is probably superior, style does count.

Edmund

Last edited:
I am enjoying the Noctivid 8X42s, no need to run off and buy an SF, I already had one, and IMHO the SF is not superior.

Andy W.

I think there’s always inevitably a degree of backlash against a new top end product (binocular in this case) from people who either have the previous top end model or a top end model from a rival manufacturer. It’s probably true to say that the Noctivid is in fact not innovative in any area and that certain aspects of its design were inspired by the innovations of other manufacturers, but that does nothing to take away from the fact that it is generally acknowledged, by those who have purchased it and compared it with an UVHD+, as being Leica’s best binocular to date. I’m not sure why anybody would have a problem with that.

It’s a little hard for me to have a good direct comparison between my UVHD+ 7x42 and my NV 10x42 because of the magnification difference, but there is no doubt in my mind that the NV has the edge in terms of sharpness (it certainly has a larger sweet spot) contrast and colour rendition, not to mention control of glare. And yes, if pushed I would say that it does have a greater sense of 3-D in the image. IMHO it’s just ‘better’. FWIW I also think that any sense in which the ergonomics might be said to be inferior to the UVHD+ is more than offset by the improvement in the feel of the focus wheel. I don’t have a problem in any way with the focus wheel on the UVHD+, but the focus wheel on the NV is a definite improvement.

Last edited:
Yes Mike F.

And, to even care about the optical difference between an SV, HT, SF, UVHD, and NVD frankly takes some overindulgence as a hobbyist and reinforcement by a technical forum because the alphas are all each and every one generally so pleasing optically. I own Zeiss and Leica. When I ran in to a bear in four feet of snow this April at a very safe distance and watched him for the next 15 minutes, there was never a time where I’m going, “man, this would be even better if I’d had my Zeiss HT RF” or vice versa.

While some alphas are better at some things than others, and I appreciate this site for pouring over the details to point out why, they’re all also close enough that on one level I might be tempted to say that the best alpha is the one causing the most wonder in nature at the moment. It’s a good time to have 2-3$K to drop on a set.

Attachments

• E1B1EA1A-30AA-4B2C-8458-E81395A7FA91.jpeg
    E1B1EA1A-30AA-4B2C-8458-E81395A7FA91.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hi Mike,

The Nikon EDG 7x42 is still listed in Britain - at £1,979. I bought one earlier this year and absolutely love it. As you say, the FOV is not record-breaking but the view, colour, the way the flat field is done, and the focus control are superb. AND the lens objective covers snap in firmly in mine. Anyway, back to the main point of the thread; not wishing to steer it in a new direction. Afraid I have never seen or looked through a Noctivid. The Nikon incidentally - don't know if you'd agree - has quite a Leica-like image except for the flatter field.

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom,

Glad you are enjoying your EDG 7x42. I do agree generally the EDG and Leica HD+ view are similar.

On the op's question, I did briefly test a NV 10x42 outside at a local shop in good light when considering whether to trade in my HD+ 10x50. As others have remarked it did seem the NV had a slightly brighter view and the focusing function was really sweet - very EDG-like. But not quite enough of an upgrade to justify the cost even with a potential trade in. If the NV came in 10x50, I might have taken the plunge.

Best,

Mike

I been fortunate enough to briefly try both 8 & 10x Noctovids alongside my 7x42 UV+.

Immediate impression was that the N's are very comfortable and easy for both my hands and eyes. Preferred their feel over Swaro.
The views are excellent of course, not much more to add.
If I were in the market for either magnification they'd be top of my list (but I'm gonna get a Swaro 15x56)

While some alphas are better at some things than others, and I appreciate this site for pouring over the details to point out why, they’re all also close enough that on one level I might be tempted to say that the best alpha is the one causing the most wonder in nature at the moment. It’s a good time to have 2-3$K to drop on a set.
+1! I was only curious about the details of the NV because each of us cares a bit more about some little thing than another, and it's nice to find the glass that suits us best.
(but I'm gonna get a Swaro 15x56)
Now that is a different story... it's amazing, you'll love it.

I did my usual thing of wasting time in the airport looking at expensive binoculars while waiting for the plane. They had a 10x42 NV and UVHD+. Both had great views, but the NV had a kind of magic that really took me. The ergonomics and eye relief for me as a glasses wearer were super, the focuser was so smooth and the sharpness was phenomenal. There was a Christmas tree (yep even in September) with led lights some distance off and they were tiny bright pinpoints that even with my Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pockets that I travel with and are super sharp, I could get nowhere near the pinpoint image with. There was a bit of CA, but not distracting when they're that comfy and sharp. I was really impressed. The UV+ could achieve similar views, but didn't have quite the luxury user experience of the NVs. I can't see anyone having regrets about getting the 10x NVs.

I did my usual thing of wasting time in the airport looking at expensive binoculars while waiting for the plane. They had a 10x42 NV and UVHD+. Both had great views, but the NV had a kind of magic that really took me. The ergonomics and eye relief for me as a glasses wearer were super, the focuser was so smooth and the sharpness was phenomenal. There was a Christmas tree (yep even in September) with led lights some distance off and they were tiny bright pinpoints that even with my Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pockets that I travel with and are super sharp, I could get nowhere near the pinpoint image with. There was a bit of CA, but not distracting when they're that comfy and sharp. I was really impressed. The UV+ could achieve similar views, but didn't have quite the luxury user experience of the NVs. I can't see anyone having regrets about getting the 10x NVs.

Thanks! Those led lights, yes. Yesterday I was looking at a clothes line with raindrops and the sun full on it. Probably an even harder test. Seems the Noctivid is always in control on highlights like this, with no excessive sparkle, nothing spectacular jumping to the fore. It's almost understated, and yet everything's there, in fine detail. The view reminds me of some fine hifi equipment which seems to invite you into the music, instead of throwing it at you.

Renze

Last edited:
What's different?

It is exactly as wdc mentioned. The Nuctivid is a slight improvement over Ultravid HD+ which is itself zero improvement over Ultravid HD which is itself zero improvement over Ultravid which is itself zero improvement over Trinovid BN which is itself a slight improvement over Trinovid BA. This summarizes 30 years of "progress" in Leica binoculars :)

As many have pointed out, we may be looking at the end of innovative technical advancement with binoculars, and Leica may very well be guilty of re-packaging/marketing existing optical design for a few generations of product, with just enough modest tweaks to attract new users, and justify an increased price...

Well said :)

Last edited:
IMHO the Noctivid is a definite improvement and, after many years, a Leica I'd seriously consider as an alternative to my Swarovski's. I own a 7X42 Ultravid BR from 2004 that was refurbished by Leica to like-new condition. Though not specific, Leica performed an "optical upgrade" due to both scopes having the "speckles" problem as viewed from the objectives. The upgrade has less CA and overall was clearly an improvement over my original. I have no idea if it's HD or HD+.

I've used the Noctivid 8X42 a few times side-by-side with other Leica models and it's truly an impressive view. IMO it's definitely alpha class and a subjective improvement over the HD+ model.

And, everyone of the Ultravid/Noctivid models is brighter than earlier Trinovid models.

It is exactly as wdc mentioned. The Nuctivid is a slight improvement over Ultravid HD+ which is itself zero improvement over Ultravid HD which is itself zero improvement over Ultravid which is itself zero improvement over Trinovid BN which is itself a slight improvement over Trinovid BA. This summarizes 30 years of "progress" in Leica binoculars :)

Well said :)

Well, Omid, you did sum up Leica's binocular progress in a very distinct
way. I agree with your summation.

Leica has there own way of doing things, a very slow progress, and they
almost lost it all in the camera arena.

Leica does have their marketing panache, the red circle, but that only goes
so far. They are still behind in sport optics.

Jerry

Well, Omid, you did sum up Leica's binocular progress in a very distinct
way. I agree with your summation.

Leica has there own way of doing things, a very slow progress, and they
almost lost it all in the camera arena.

Leica does have their marketing panache, the red circle, but that only goes
so far. They are still behind in sport optics.

Jerry

Jerry, I have a 2013-15 Trinovid 8x42, UVHD+ 7x42 and a Noctivid 10x42. There is a distinct difference and improvement in image quality between each of them. May I respectfully suggest that if you can’t see any difference between the recent Leicas then that’s more your problem than theirs. And as for leica being behind in sport optics, I recently again tried a Swarovski EL 8.5x42. Please tell me in what way, apart from the nausea inducing flat field, the Leica NV is supposed to be behind?

You obviously have your preferences (as, obviously, do I), and that’s fine, but with respect your constant Leica bashing on Leica threads is not helpful or instructive.

Michael.

I have investigated many Leitz/Leica binoculars in the past years and there is in my opinion, based on the measurements and actual use, a definite positive development improvement in handling comfort and optical performance, so I disagree with Omid and those who support his statement.
Gijs van Ginkel

Jerry, I have a 2013-15 Trinovid 8x42, UVHD+ 7x42 and a Noctivid 10x42. There is a distinct difference and improvement in image quality between each of them. May I respectfully suggest that if you can’t see any difference between the recent Leicas then that’s more your problem than theirs. And as for leica being behind in sport optics, I recently again tried a Swarovski EL 8.5x42. Please tell me in what way, apart from the nausea inducing flat field, the Leica NV is supposed to be behind?

You obviously have your preferences (as, obviously, do I), and that’s fine, but with respect your constant Leica bashing on Leica threads is not helpful or instructive.

Michael.

I still enjoy my '12-'15 Trinovid 8x42, such a pleasant and easy view.

I still enjoy my '12-'15 Trinovid 8x42, such a pleasant and easy view.

Sorry, was is 2012-15? I couldn't remember - thanks for the correction! Yes, I still love mine despite owning the other two.

Perhaps the problem is that Leica where already so good 30 or so years ago that the improvements that they've made to their sports optics have been small relative to the bigger strides that others have made in order to catch up?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back