• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

I was very surprised today to take this picture as I stood at the carpark and bamburgh castle. It was around 3-4 pm. This common crane, my first by the way, came in off the sea, circled twice and then headed off.

I have posted my report to the relevant services and can now say that it is hanging around in druridge pools as I have seen in other reports on bird guides.

This is definitely the best experience I have had in the hobby as it was a completely unexpected bird

Attachments

• crane.JPG
    crane.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 122
But still no swifts or house martins!!!!

The former are normally here by 1st May and the latter a week or so earlier but so far....zilch? :smoke:

unlucky Gill - we saw Swifts at Holywell Pond, Big Waters and Druridge yesterday. Swallows nest building in the public hide at Holywell - so must be any day now!

Very unlucky Gill...hope they have arrived by now. Several Swifts calling and swooping over Castle Island on Saturday morning (along with House Martin, Sand Martin and Swallow). And House Martins have been back in our estate in Morpeth for more than a week (although "our" two pairs are not back yet!)

Anyway, I came on here to report hearing my first Northumberland Cuckoo for 3 years at the weekend! Heard at Shilmoor in Upper Coquetdale while I was out with the kids at the weekend (along with great views of Whinchat and Wheatear)

I knew it would happen - the moment I posted a Lost notice they would turn up :-O

Three Swifts seen in Alnwick the day after posting the above and then just the odd individual until yesterday when I heard that familiar screaming :t: Never known them THIS late....wonder what held them up?

Saw & heard my first House Martins in their usual breeding spot along Canongate yesterday as I headed up towards the allotment :t:

Swallows were five days earlier than normal....but still no Willow Warblers yet.

It's a funny ol' spring this year :smoke: Even my regular Bee Flies haven't made an appearance yet!

Cuckoo calling near the Drake Stone at Harbottle Crags on Sunday and for those with a wider wildlife interest...
A few Mountain Bumblebees
First Small Copper of the year
Green Hairstreak x 2
Slow Worm

Willow Warblers and Stonechats in but no Ring Ouzel or Whinchats here.
Andy

Never known them THIS late....wonder what held them up?

The Pyrenees, 2 weeks ago . . . an impenetrable wall of frigid white

Worst late spring cold in the region for something like 30 years, apparently

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3150.jpg
    IMG_3150.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3136.jpg
    IMG_3136.jpg
    895.6 KB · Views: 82
Ruddy Duck

This thread has died a death somewhat (coinciding with a dearth of scarce birds in the NE?) so here's something to debate...

Birdguides reporting a RUDDY DUCK on Bothal Pond.
Could be a genuine migrant for those of you who aren't old enough to have seen these on many ponds in the North East before they were culled. Or an escape perhaps ? Please debate...

What is DEFRA's position? Is it still alive? A few years ago they were about 3 pairs at Shibdon Ponds 6.00 one morning a group of men with guns turned up and then they were none.

Attachments

• Ruddy M+F.jpg
    Ruddy M+F.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
If Ruddies turned up unaided once and then bred and spread then there's no reason to think they won't do it again. I doubt if individuals like this have a 'contract' out on them so assume that larger groups would be targeted again if they ever grew in number.

There'll be a few folk who need this for their county list.

Over for a long weekend 7- 11 July, with transport. I intend to visit Hauxley to walk right round. �� Keep me I the loop here if there is anything else around the area between Cresswell and Amble please.

Three spoonbill and a single whooper swan with the mutes at the lake opposite the Widdrington Arms (no idea what the lake is called!). Presumably the same three spoonbills that were at Druridge pools earlier in the week.

Easy to spot the spoonies as some berk in a helicopter seem to be buzzing the birds and constantly spooking the spoonbills while everything else ignored him.

Attachments

• IMGP1592.jpg
    IMGP1592.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMGP1594.jpg
    IMGP1594.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGP1608.jpg
    IMGP1608.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Thanks for that, I don't do Twitter or Facebook so that limits me a bit. o:D

Twitter reports:
yesterday: White-winged Black Tern at Druridge Pools
today: White-winged Black Tern at Low Newton (apparently a different one)

Spoonbills still around, commuting between Cresswell, Druridge, and Widdrington.

Slavonian Grebe in Summer plumage and Kingfisher at Linton Lane pool on Sunday
(the pool you turn left to get to once you go over the railway track)

Unfortunately no spoonbills today, but got yellow hammer at Widdrington, whooper godwits and lrp at Budge hide. Spent time looking for a little owl and failed but got a juvenile green woodpecker, red-legged partridge & yellow wagtail as compensation. Got two tips on the owl which left me unsure where best to look. Started looking at Stone Croft which is the last building on the left after the bends going from Druridge to Widdrington. Partridge in fields opposite, woodpecker sitting on a post behind the yard. No sign of owl.

Met a birder who directed me to the cluster of buildings on the right leaving Druridge (Stable Yard & Farm Court). No owl on view there but not sure where I should have been looking, but wagtail perched on the Farm Court wall. Maybe there are two little owls? Help appreciated as I hope to go back tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back