• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd hand Manfrotto 128RC question (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Hi folks

I've purchased a second-hand head on Ebay, but notice having received it, that there is about 1mm of movement of the plate even when locked in.

This maybe because the oval metal locking mechanism has worn slightly over time. Its still secure but just doesn't feel right.

Should the locking plate be tight fitting once locked in, or is there a reason for this movement when locked in?

You need to push on the lever to make sure that is making as much pressure as It possibly can.."clicking" the plate on place triggs the lock ,but you have to make sure the oval is pushed all the way..
IF the plate or the oval are worn (mine is old and abused and locks perfectly) ,then you could always add a bit of material ,like a rubber piece ,in beetwen

Underneath, there are some locking/tightening screws (3?). From memory I think these have to be loose to start with, then after fitting and locking the horizontal tensioner, you then tighten the slot head screws underneath.

P

The plate should be snug when locked in. I'm not sure if this is possible, but, could you have it in backwards?

Hi, I had the same problem with a worn plate on a 128 RC and as mentioned already a piece of rubber put between plate and head solved the problem. There is a very nice amount of pan drag on that head, just need to keep some tension on the adjuster screws to keep it from wobbling.
Aidan

Hi Nick - have you tried mounting the Kowa directly in without using the QRP? That will 1) reduce any vibrations and 2) any risk of the QRP and/or thread coming loose. When I used to have a 65mm SW I mounted directly into the 128rc without any issues. Cheers!

You are right, the idea seemed great though, I've done that previously with my Opticron into my Velbon Sherpa head.

But its tightly fitted now anyway using the QRP.

When I had that system I always pushed the lever a little farther than the spring closed onto the plate, for an extra tight fit.
One of the few reasons I modified my 128 to take Arca type clamps

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back