• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Fall Birding (1 Viewer)

sbradfield

Hi all

It is our 10th wedding anniversary next year and I am hoping to take my good lady to New England in the Fall for a few days. The idea is to find a nice hotel and spend a few days just exploring the local area mainly on foot (although we will have a car). Can anyone suggest any good areas in Vermont or New Hampshire (or even Maine) where the birding is particularly good as well as the trees (preferably away from the coach parties!)?

I have also posted on New Hampshire forum.

Many thanks
Simon

Hi Simon,
My favorite birding site is Plum Island, near Newburyport, Massachusetts. Plum is the northernmost barrier island on the Atlantic US coast, and is hot for birds migrating along the Atlantic Flyway. ID'ed 47 species last weekend! Newburyport is a nice touristy town with some great shops and nice harbor area. Good food too!

Up in Vermont, Burlington is a great base of operations. Peak foliage is usually the last week of September thru the first or second week of October. Burlington is on Lake Champlain, and is a very college town - biggest city in VT. Birding and scenic sites are found along the shore (Shelburne Bay, Dead Creek, Malletts Bay) and up in the Champlain Islands (which are amazingly beautiful. The Adirondack Mountains are visible to the West, and the Green Mountains to the East.

Come and enjoy!
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back