• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (1 Viewer)

Is there anywhere in walking or bus reach of Cala Bona? Doesn't seem to be much of interest - at least not that I have seen so far from searching the net. But I'm determined to find something to do other than lounge in the sun

Thanks Paul

Edit: sorry should have said we fly in this week for 7 nights

Is there anywhere in walking or bus reach of Cala Bona? Doesn't seem to be much of interest - at least not that I have seen so far from searching the net. But I'm determined to find something to do other than lounge in the sun

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

You definitely should go to Punta de n'Amer and explore the area. Quite a lot to see there and too far away from Cala Bona, just about 6km to the south.
A lot of warblers around, Stone Curlews and sea birds. Interesting place!

Regards,
Martin

Thanks for that Martin, worst case I could walk down there but hopefully there is a bus in the mornings

cheers Paul

Hi Paul!
I know there is a bus, but I haven't used it yet. I think it's the 412 or the 441 to Sa Coma, there's a site (available in English as well) where you can see the bus lines: www.tib.org.
I'll be there early October and I'll definitely be checking out Punta de n'Amer again! (Of course one of my favorite birds - the Nightjar - will be gone by then)
Regards,
Martin

Martin, that's fantastic and it is the 412! Worth having that link for the day that my wife lets me travel to Mallorca alone - she doesn't grasp that there are more things to do than bake in the sun :-O

Cheers Paul

I am travelling back to Mallorca today and can't wait to be back in the action. The Cap de Ses Salines is one of the best places to be in September for migration, especially raptors. Punta de n'Amer is great too for passerines. Salobrar de Campos for waders. Hope to see some of you around the Island. Good luck to all. Mike

Hi Mike

Have a good journey. At least you will be heading into dry warm weather!! I'm just back from birding at the London Wetland Centre where I got soaked, twice!

Looking forward to my own trip to Mallorca - I arrive next Tuesday 2 September and will be there until 2 October (flying back onthe 3rd).

I hope to visit the sites mentioned, especially Punta de n'Amer as I've not been there before.

I also hope to do almost daily reports from s'Albufera, at the very least.

Best wishes

Martin

Thanks Paul

For several years we holidayed in Cala Bona and will be returning again late September this year.

I've always found plenty to see in the area just by walking and making use of the local bus services and the road train - if it's still on the go.

Costa de los Pinos is well worth checking as well - just walk from the bus terminus to the viewpoint checking the conifers and gardens. With Punta de n' Amer likewise check the conifers by the roadside as well as the whole area of scrub and coastline.

Here's a couple of links to some trip reports listing what was seen and where.

2003 report - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=9773

2005 report - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=43277

Hi Ian
Very interesting reports, especially as they are from a part of the island that I've not visited for birds.
You list several Balearic rarities and a couple of unusual species so it is certainly worth a visit.
However, you may already know that your DSCN0936a (Woodchat Shrike) is actually a Pied Flycatcher and your P1050146a (Brimstone butterfly) is actually a Cleopatra.
You also mention Nuthatch, which I believe (and Mike or someone else may be able to correct me) has never been reported from Mallorca (or the Balearic Islands).
Best wishes
Martin

I have only been back from Mallorca for a month and am missing It already :-C,so I shall look forward to reading posts from Martin and Paul,as well as any others.

Looking to book for next year again. :smoke:

Hi
Slightly off-topic (but still Balearic) there's been a group of 6 Dotterel at the airport in Eivissa since 22 August (info per Christina on another forum). Perhaps there's a chance of some in Mallorca.
Martin

I hope so Martin, I still need Dotterel having chased after every sighting last year and missed them all. I hope that this time we will meet up, Mike

Thanks Ian, really helpful and promising. Do you mind if I take a copy of your map with me for directions?

Paul

No problem Paul.

As Martin points out a few of the sightings as reported are a little suspect but it gives an idea where the birds are at. Just wandering the lanes and roads behind the resort can be quite productive for birds.

At least 22 Common kestrel on the Central Plain at Villafranca this morning but sadly nothing rare in with them. Two Booted eagle and a Red kite kept them company. A good number of Barn swallows moving through so migration is in progress for the Autumn and hopefully a few surprises are on the way. Mike

At least 22 Common kestrel on the Central Plain at Villafranca this morning but sadly nothing rare in with them. Two Booted eagle and a Red kite kept them company. A good number of Barn swallows moving through so migration is in progress for the Autumn and hopefully a few surprises are on the way. Mike

Mike
Do the Red Footed Falcon return migrate through that area or is that only a Spring refuel for them ? it's just that I dipped on them last May but would love a second chance to catch up with them in September.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob, no, I have never seen Red-foot on return migration, and there don't seem to be records of them either. A few Lesser kestrels come through but nothing like in the spring. Sorry about that, I do wish they would put in another appearance but you never know I guess. Other raptors feature well but not the falcons sadly. Mike

Message for Chris! Sorry, the administration will not allow me to PM you back so am replying here. Yes, it is a bit quiet and the locals are away watching migration elsewhere which must say something. August is a very quiet month but it is all due to hot up soon, in time for your holiday I hope. Raptors are on the move and waders are arriving in good numbers so it is worth checking the marshes if you can. Loads of thrushes due, Robins, Starlings and Black Redstarts will follow and all warblers obviously worth a good look. Some seabird passage with Balearic shearwaters re-appearing early September. Check valleys for large groups of Bee-eaters and the odd Ring ouzel. Let us know what you see, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back