• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader ID - Australia (1 Viewer)

IanC

Hi All, a new bird for me and struggling with ID, hopefully the photo is clear enough to help.

I have another shot to try and make it a bit easier I hope. I was shooting into the sun making it very difficult to get a clear shot. I will return one afternoon with the sun iun the west and see if I can improve.

The photo was taken in Port Macquarie NSW.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1217090.jpg
    P1217090.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 216
  • P1217099.jpg
    P1217099.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
tf1044x said:
If that is barring that I can see on the tail, then I would have to go with Bar-tailed

It is a Bar-tailed but easier to identify from slightly upcurved bill, and more extensive super along with other plumage considerations (if my eyes don't deceive me with the photo ;) )

Last edited:
Agree with Deborah. Black Tailed Godwits are very plain on the back, and these show clear markings.

BTW, do you get Hudsonian Godwits your side of the world? No idea what they look like, but its might be worth a look

Jason

Hre we have further proof that the Godwits that occur in Australasia are structurally different to the ones that we are used to in W.Europe. I agree with Sean - structurally they look like Blackwits, if a little too short in the leg. However they can't be.

Attachments

• bfpost.JPG
    bfpost.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 102
J Moss said:
Agree with Deborah. Black Tailed Godwits are very plain on the back, and these show clear markings.

BTW, do you get Hudsonian Godwits your side of the world? No idea what they look like, but its might be worth a look

Jason

Jason, a Hudwit in winter plumage would not have the streaking and marking on the breast. They're just plain grey and white.

Structurally i would have said black tailed but on a second look would have to be bar tailed. Interesting bird to ID
Robbie

Jeff hopkins said:
Jason, a Hudwit in winter plumage would not have the streaking and marking on the breast. They're just plain grey and white.

Thanks Jeff. Googled it earlier. They also appear to have a much shorter bill, and the barring on the tail of this bird makes it a Barwit anyway.

Cheers

Jason

J Moss said:

Jason

On Hudsonian Godwit, Clements lists their range as: Canadian Arctic; winters Atlantic coast of s South America.

overworkedirish said:
On Hudsonian Godwit, Clements lists their range as: Canadian Arctic; winters Atlantic coast of s South America.

Yeah, but the birds that breed in Alaska and Eastern Siberia Winter in Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

Here are acouple of photos of Bar Tailed Godwit that i took this afternoon in UK

Attachments

• bar tailed godwit1.jpg
    bar tailed godwit1.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 91
  • bar tailed godwit2.jpg
    bar tailed godwit2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back