• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AF Zoom-Nikkor Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens (1 Viewer)

AF Zoom-Nikkor Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens

Marko

I have this lense and I can confirm it does auto focus in Aperture Mode on both my D70s & D200.

Infact for the money, it is an excellent lense, I use it as my second lense and is pretty sharp upto 250mm.

Great for landscape photos also.

The 70-300 VR is a silent wave motor lens, but the old AF lenses are not. I use the VR lens on my D40, D80 and new D300.

The 70-300 VR is a silent wave motor lens, but the old AF lenses are not. I use the VR lens on my D40, D80 and new D300.

How are you finding it on your D80? I have a Sigma 70-300mm DG lens I use on my D80 and, while it's not bad, I'm looking at the Nikon VR 70-300 to replace it basically because of the VR feature. I'd like the 80-400 VR but at nearly a grand it's too expensive at the moment.

How are you finding it on your D80? I have a Sigma 70-300mm DG lens I use on my D80 and, while it's not bad, I'm looking at the Nikon VR 70-300 to replace it basically because of the VR feature. I'd like the 80-400 VR but at nearly a grand it's too expensive at the moment.

You know, it's a mixed bag with the 70-300 VR. Some days I love it, and some days I think it's soft and swear I'll get rid of it. Last weekend I took several images in Miami at Fairchild Botanical Gardens using my D300 and that lens. I loved it. The images were sharp and contrasty, so maybe when I don't like it, it's my fault or technique. In other words, I'm very happy with it now, but next week I might be saving for a 70-200 f2.8 and a 300 f4 prime.

Here's an image from this weekend. I'm learning.

whitebird.jpg

I forgot to mention the D80. It works wonderfully on it. Early on I tried panning at Pelicans and Gulls at the beach for practice. I want to learn to become a better bird photographer like many I see in these galleries. I used the D80 and this VR lens, but had many horrible results. I couldn't get a sharp picture for the life of me. I tried and tried. It turns out, as usual, it was my technique, not the lens and VR. I knew that the VR couldn't help subject blur but it wasn't even helping my hands vibrating. The problem was that you have to be careful with the VR. It takes a half to one second for the VR to engage. As you're panning, you must have luck and must start the VR a little before finally pressing the full shutter release. I'm having better luck now, and the VR does help a lot.

Last edited:
Just add a thought on the 70-300 VR zoom lens.

This was the first lens that I used for birding. For me, I found the lens to be too short. I'm currently using a 500 mm lens sometimes with a 1.4 and 2 teleconverters. This works much better for the kind of birding I do.

Having just said that, I find the lens to be excellent to to photograph my kids' sports. The size, weight, aperature, zoom range, vibration reduction, and rapid focus are fantastic for hand held use following rapid action all over the playing field in bright sunlight.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back