• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weaver, Entebbe, Uganda (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
I can't work out which weaver this is.

All help is welcomed.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0049-1731x956.jpg
    IMG_0049-1731x956.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0052-1783x934.jpg
    IMG_0052-1783x934.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 28
From HBW:

P. a. rex Neumann, 1908 – S Uganda, extreme W Kenya and NW Tanzania in L Victoria Basin.

It is decreasing in East Africa, and he doesn't breed in Kenya anymore AFAIK. In Uganda, I see it regularly in Enebbe Botanical Gardens, but no more records westwards such Jinja. Eastwards, a few nests where know around Mabamba swamps up to 2014, but recently they were not found by local birders, unless very recent records I'm not yet aware of.

I didn't see it in Tanzania where I'm not sure of the status, or away from Lake Victoria in Uganda. Fortunately, it is more common in central and West Africa.

It is therefore a very good bird to see in Entebbe!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back