• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa - Birdforum Photo Competition (1 Viewer)

Birdforum

Administrator
Fabulous Kowa optics competition, open to all Birdforum members and readers of Birdwatching Magazine, Please read the rules VERY carefully

The competition runs from Saturday 23rd of February 2013 until June 30th 2013 and is open to any member of Birdforum worldwide.

The rules of the competition are as follows:

1. Up to three images can be entered for the Kowa’s Anniversary Photography/Digiscoping Competition 2013. All images must depict wild birds which are not in any way restrained.

2. These may be digital images or scans of colour transparencies. Colour transparencies and prints are NOT permitted. Entries will be judged not only on technical excellence, but also on originality, scientific interest, aesthetic appeal and artistic composition.

3. Photographs must not have been submitted for publication elsewhere, although images previously posted on websites are acceptable. All entries must be taken within the start and finish date of the competition.

4. The awarded photographs may be used at the discretion of Kowa Group and subsidiaries and the editor of Birdwatching magazine. By entering images for this competition, entrants agree to these terms. Copyright of images remains with the photographer and use subsequent by Kowa Group and Birdwatching magazine is unrestricted.

5. A brief account must accompany each photograph, giving the circumstances in which it was obtained, the method used, technical details (exposure and shutter speed, ISO rating, make and model of lens and camera body etc), locality, date and species of bird.

6. Images with minor adjustments, are acceptable. Manipulation of images shall be restricted as follows:

- Use of levels and curves and other tools to adjust contrast, brightness, exposure and colour saturation, and for minor cleaning work to remove dust spots.
- Images can be sharpened and noise removed. Cloning is forbidden.
- Images may be cropped to enhance their aesthetic appeal and artistic composition. Adding content is expressly forbidden.
- All winning entries must be able to be supplied to the judges by email in JPG format and at least 2600 pixels along the longest side at the end of the competition. Images that are over-cropped to the extent that the quality is compromised, will not be accepted.
- Details of all image manipulation, together with a note of the software used, shall also be submitted, together with the original RAW or JPEG file from the camera.
- Manipulation that in any way changes the ‘science’ of the picture (for example, even minor changes to feather detail) is expressly forbidden.
- ALL entries are accepted only on the above conditions.

7. Prizes:

1 Grand Prize Winner - TSN-883 with New TE-11WZ in 60th Anniversary Package worth £5000
2 Runners up Prize Winners - GENESIS33-8 Binoculars.
2 3rd Prize Winners - NEW Kowa Binoculars
7 Runners up Photos selected to be used for the calendar

8. The closing date for entries is 30th of June 2013.

9. Entries must be submitted online at
www.birdforum.net in the Birdforum gallery, in Kowa Competition category HERE

10. Please ensure that your email address in your birdforum account is correct and please email [email protected] after submitting your entry/entries with your postal address and the titles of your submitted entries.

11. The competition is free to enter.

12. The judges are: Paul Hackett, Roy Halpin, Mike Weedon and Takaya Kanouchi.

13. The judges’ decision is final.

14. Winners will be announced at Birdfair 2013.

Good luck to you all

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a particular theme for the competition? OR, what will the winning photograph(s) be used for, please (i.e. if we know their use then we'll be able to tailor the subject/composition accordingly)?
Thanks
Hobbes

I think that Rule Number One is the definitive answer. "All images must depict wild birds which are not in any way restrained".

Hobbes, Kowa has decided to give you freedom to create you own composition. The topic of the competition is 'birds'. The winning images will be used in the Kowa calendar for 2014. I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Sandra
Kowa Optimed Europe Ltd

Hobbes, Kowa has decided to give you freedom to create you own composition. The topic of the competition is 'birds'. The winning images will be used in the Kowa calendar for 2014. I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Sandra
Kowa Optimed Europe Ltd

Thanks Sandra. It certainly helps to know how the images will be used. Many thanks again for getting back to me. :t:
Hobbes

Hello,
I have posted a pic within the KOWA competition category, but I can not confirm, that I have fullfilled the conditions. Even if I click to confirm, the click is not detected.

Alfred

Hello,
I have posted a pic within the KOWA competition category, but I can not confirm, that I have fullfilled the conditions. Even if I click to confirm, the click is not detected.

Alfred

Don't worry, it's just a visual glitch/side effect ... you did tick the box when you uploaded, so it's not a problem. Just that the question & tick/check box shows in the uploaded photo.
best regards,
Andy

Thanks Delia..but it doesnt show up with everyone elses or am i missing something

Are you by any chance mixing up the competitions?

The link Delia provided is for the Kowa prize competition which is where you uploaded your photo. There's only two entries so far.

There's also the regular monthly photo theme challenge - http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/533 - where you have no entry.

I can move it for you if you intended it for that one instead.

My apologies Delia & Ian..if you say its entered then i am sorry..my mistake..i didnt understand what was going on..i will stop moaning now..my partner says i moan alot..i followed this brand new car the other day..every turning he took he didnt indicate..moan moan moan..oops..as i said...sorry for mix up!

Hi astley

When you click on "Select a Category" a drop down list appears, scroll right to the bottom and you'll see Kowa Competition Entries. Click on that, ensuring it appears in the Category box.

Hi, is this competition limited to Birdforum users only?

The rules state that:

"Entries must be submitted online at www.birdforum.net in the Birdforum gallery"

but at the beginning it also says:

"open to all Birdforum members and readers of Birdwatching Magazine"

so it's not clear (to me anyway) if there are other ways to submit entries.

Hi, is this competition limited to Birdforum users only?

The rules state that:

"Entries must be submitted online at www.birdforum.net in the Birdforum gallery"

but at the beginning it also says:

"open to all Birdforum members and readers of Birdwatching Magazine"

so it's not clear (to me anyway) if there are other ways to submit entries.

Hi,
In order to enter you need to be a member of birdforum, only entries uploaded to the birdforum Kowa competition gallery will be accepted.
cheers,
Andy

I do have a few questions on the entry requirements.

1) What are the aspect ratio requirements? Since the photos are intended for what I assume will be a printed calendar, I am thinking only certain aspect ratios can be accommodated. Is only the more common 4:3 allowed, or are there other possibilities?

2) Am I correct in understanding that the winning photos will be selected from what is submitted as a reduced size file via the BirdForum gallery, then the winners will be required to send an e-mail with an attached jpg file of the photo that meets the size requirements in rule 6? Also, at this time a second file of the original untouched photo will also be attached to the e-mail?

3) Rule number 6 as shown the on "Bird Watching Magazine" website says "- Entries shall be in JPEG format, at 300 dpi and at least 2600 pixels along the longest side." I am not sure what the 300 dpi requirement means. I thought that would be something related to a print rather than a jpg file.

4) More for the my own curiosity, does Kowa and Bird Watching Magazine reserve the option to modify or tweak the winning photos to their best judgment before publishing them?

Thanks for your help. I am looking forward to seeing some great photos!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back