• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht: 8x30 or 10x40? (2 Viewers)

Just take care that your Habicht model of choice was manufactured 2011 or later. That was the last time they updated the coatings on these models. It's pretty easy to identify by the serial number eg. A8107xxxxx where 81=2011 (82=2012, and so on) - 07 is the production week.

Thanks, especially for the piece of information on the update of the coatings. I've known how the serial number work for quite some time, the information was posted on this forum as well. However, I don't think this works with old binoculars.

BTW, my Habicht 7x42 is from 2012, week 50.

Hermann

Thanks, especially for the piece of information on the update of the coatings. I've known how the serial number work for quite some time, the information was posted on this forum as well. However, I don't think this works with old binoculars.

BTW, my Habicht 7x42 is from 2012, week 50.

Hermann

So what's happening Hermann? Are you in the purchasing phase yet?

So what's happening Hermann? Are you in the purchasing phase yet?

Well, I'm still thinking about it. I think for my style of birding the stiffish focuser is going to be a problem with the 10x40, especially in autumn at migration hotspots. The 7x42 isn't too bad (although by no means ideal) because of the lower magnification, but the 10x40 would be pushing it, I think.

Hermann

Well, I'm still thinking about it. I think for my style of birding the stiffish focuser is going to be a problem with the 10x40, especially in autumn at migration hotspots. The 7x42 isn't too bad (although by no means ideal) because of the lower magnification, but the 10x40 would be pushing it, I think.

Hermann

Hermann

My current 10x40 GA is easier in the focus than the leather 8x30! They will vary slightly. I have worked my 8x30 focuser back and forth a lot and it has definitely loosened a little. A few hours of this and it'd be just about sorted. My 20-50 yr old Habichts are all incredibly easy in the focus (like a hot knife through butter) so it is definitely a time and use issue.

Last edited:
My current 10x40 GA is easier in the focus than the leather 8x30! They will vary slightly. I have worked my 8x30 focuser back and forth a lot and it has definitely loosened a little. A few hours of this and it'd be just about sorted. My 20-50 yr old Habichts are all incredibly easy in the focus (like a hot knife through butter) so it is definitely a time and use issue.

Well, there's a difference between the old and the new Habichts because the newer ones are waterproof. The stiff focusing is due to the seals between the eyepieces and the body.

Hermann

Well, there's a difference between the old and the new Habichts because the newer ones are waterproof. The stiff focusing is due to the seals between the eyepieces and the body.

Hermann

The old ones were sealed too. Of course, they won't be so tight as they used to be, but compare them to a binuxit or zeiss oberkochen of similar vintage and it's plain to see which binos still have great optics because they were sealed, and therefore usually free from fungus and debris.

Last edited:
Right, I've (finally) made up my mind. I'll get a 10x40 once I'm back from my holidays. Die only question I'm not yet sure on is whether it's going to be the traditional version or the rubber-armoured version. There have been some very convincing arguments in favour of getting the GA, but what I still don't know is how big the weight difference between the two versions really is.

Is there someone here who's got a recent Habicht 10x40 GA and can put it on some decent kitchen scales? Ideally without the strap and eyepiece covers ... :) The weights Swarovski quote on their website are out-of-date, so they don't really help much.

Proud Papa perhaps??

Hermann

Hello Hermann,

I have had briefly both, a Habicht 10x40 traditional and the GA version. The weight difference is negligible and, being very light weight for a 10x40 from the start, those few grams more in the GA are a plus in a 10x instrument. And the protection of the military grade rubber coat is fantastic!
I strongly suggest the GA!!!

Good luck !

PHA

Hermann ,

I just bought the habicht last weekend and very satisfied with it!!
I just like the view and sharpness and 3 D effect!No regrets whatsoever
I choose the leatherette form , because it appeared to me more stylish and match the old style of bins
I appears to be more slender looking too.And more elegant
Just a personal thought however.
I will buy the 8 x30 habicht in the near futur as well for sure , as a more compact all round bin

Sorry Hermann, no green armor ones in stock right now. On my postal scale, a naked (no strap or rain guard) black one weighs in at 660g. The catalog weight says 690g.

Right, I've (finally) made up my mind. I'll get a 10x40 once I'm back from my holidays. Die only question I'm not yet sure on is whether it's going to be the traditional version or the rubber-armoured version. There have been some very convincing arguments in favour of getting the GA, but what I still don't know is how big the weight difference between the two versions really is.

Is there someone here who's got a recent Habicht 10x40 GA and can put it on some decent kitchen scales? Ideally without the strap and eyepiece covers ... :) The weights Swarovski quote on their website are out-of-date, so they don't really help much.

Proud Papa perhaps??

Hermann

You'll have to wait untill wednesday, than I'm back in the shop.

Jan

According to Allbinos, the GA version weights 790 grams = 27.8 oz. So that's a 100 gram difference all decked out. The leatherette version is 24.3 oz. While the "Ls" weight is certainly more to my liking, I'd rather have the GA's more comfortable eyecups. Still waiting to find out if the GA's eyecups would fit on the rubber eyecup version's EP housing? If so, a hybrid would be the best of both worlds.

Maybe Jan could tell us.

Brock

Proud Papa perhaps??

Hermann

I have a the leather style 10x40 and a GA 10x40. My best answer to your question is that I have never consciously thought once about any weight difference in use...until your post here. They won't be identical weight, but I would suggest that excess sensitivity to a weight difference in these binocs to be more of a psychological issue (which is still an issue if it's real to you!).
What I do think about is how much I prefer the grip and utility of the armour....and it's bigger and better eye cups. The Habicht GA would easily be the toughest civilian bino I have ever encountered. How it also somehow manages to punch out big (even brighter) fujinon level Porro optics or better, in such a compact and less than half weight package, remains a pleasant mystery to me.

Rathaus

According to Allbinos, the GA version weights 790 grams = 27.8 oz. So that's a 100 gram difference all decked out. The leatherette version is 24.3 oz. While the "Ls" weight is certainly more to my liking, I'd rather have the GA's more comfortable eyecups. Still waiting to find out if the GA's eyecups would fit on the rubber eyecup version's EP housing? If so, a hybrid would be the best of both worlds.

Maybe Jan could tell us.

Brock
Brock - get out your wallet...
Yes they fit and interchange perfectly...on current models. At first it appears they won't fit, but the rubber cup has to snugly slide down a bit before it screws into place.

Rathaus

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Yes they fit and interchange perfectly...on current models. At first it appears they won't fit, but the rubber cup has to snugly slide down a bit before it screws into place.
Rathaus

Even the new eyecups ( 2015) of the 7x42 screws onto a old version ( 1965) 10x40; and vice versa. Only difference that I have found is the older version uses aluminum threads that the rubber is attached to ( for eyecups) vs what appears to be a plastic composite for the threads on the newer versions. And I also know that the older 10x40 eyecups screw onto the 8x30 Habicht's

Even the new eyecups ( 2015) of the 7x42 screws onto a old version ( 1965) 10x40; and vice versa. Only difference that I have found is the older version uses aluminum threads that the rubber is attached to ( for eyecups) vs what appears to be a plastic composite for the threads on the newer versions. And I also know that the older 10x40 eyecups screw onto the 8x30 Habicht's

I have older habichts which will not accept the newer eyecups

Brock - get out your wallet...

Rathaus

Yahoo! Thank you, that's good news for the deep-orbit challenged.

I lost my wallet last year, but when I find it, I will have to check these out.

Of course, with a 10x, I'd rather have the extra weight of the GA, but what I was originally thinking is if Swaro would sell the GA's eyecups separately, one could put them on the 8x30 Habicht since there is only 1 mm difference in ER between the 8x30 and the 10x40.

I haven't tried the Habichts, but according to some who have, you need to dig your eyes into the hard eyecups to see the entire FOV, which could leave you looking like PETEY.

Brock

I have older habichts which will not accept the newer eyecups

Interesting. On mine they fit perfectly. I can take a pic showing them interchanged. Wonder why some fit and others do not; because on mine, other than the material the threads are made of, they are the same. They go on smoothly.

Interesting. On mine they fit perfectly. I can take a pic showing them interchanged. Wonder why some fit and others do not; because on mine, other than the material the threads are made of, they are the same. They go on smoothly.

Without checking right now, I think it's my old 7x42s which aren't compatible. I'll check on that. It's not just the thread, it's a Totally different ring size...smaller on the oldies I think. Remember when the much older 7x42 had the small little ocular lenses? I think it's them.

Having read your post...I'll try switching on my 90s 10x40. They may well fit, though I've got used to the weedy eye cups.

So, do you generally use your non armoured habichts with the GA eye cups?

Cheers, Rathaus

Last edited:
Without checking right now, I think it's my old 7x42s which aren't compatible. I'll check on that. It's not just the thread, it's a Totally different ring size...smaller on the oldies I think. Remember when the much older 7x42 had the small little ocular lenses? I think it's them.

Having read your post...I'll try switching on my 90s 10x40. They may well fit, though I've got used to the weedy eye cups.

So, do you generally use your non armoured habichts with the GA eye cups?

Cheers, Rathaus

I personally have never had a GA model. I was only making the switch of eye cups between traditional leatherette models. And even then it was only between the one older Habicht that I have ( a 1965 10x40), and current Habichts - the 8x30 and a 7x42. Based on that ( and how easily they switched out) I made the assumption that Swarovski has stayed with the same threading and ring size and that all of them were interchangeable as far as being able to be screwed on the threads. I now realize that that assumption may have been erroneous. I knew the ER was probably different, but it did make sense to me that Swarovski would make this simple and easy for manufacturing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back