• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

Further species recorded this weekend:

2 Yellowhammers in game crop strip near Woodbury Cottage yesterday.
Tawny Owls very vocal in Droitwich Woods at around 3 am this morning.
Tufted Duck drake on small pool between Chatley and Hawford this morning.
2 Peregrines perched on pylon near Middleton Grange again this morning.
Female Blackcap near Hawford farm this morning.
Kingfisher at Coney Meadow this evening.
Nuthatches, Grey Wagtails, Ravens, Goldcrests, Bullfinches, Mistle Thrushes, winter Thrushes, a couple of Meadow Pipits, Cormorants, Reed Buntings, Jays, Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Grey Herons, Water Rails, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, etc.

A pair of Goosanders just flew down river at Hawford.
A Greylag with Canadas here on Friday
2 Yellowhammers over Hawford earlier, one at Chatley and another near Harford Hill yesterday.

Further species seen today included:

Peregrine near Daniel's Farm flew west
More Yellowhammers and other seed eaters in nearby game crop.
A Skylark over and c20 Linnets near Jacob's Ladder - both new for the year.
Raven displaying near Mildenham.
A few Meadow Pipits today and yesterday.
4+ Siskins in alders near Salwarpe court on Friday and one near Hawford Lock.
1000+ Starlings roosted at Coney this evening. A Sparrowhawk tried to catch one.

Update 16 Jan

2 pairs of Goosander by the weir at Bevere Island this morning and a 2 pairs of Canada Geese flew over Linacres Farm. Dave

Male and female Goosander on river at Hawford plus 3 Little Grebes.
Two Greylags flying around in the area.
Two Coots on Tapenhall pool (one there on Friday) - new for the year.
Ravens and Cormorants.

Pleasant walk down the canal today. Went to Mildenham Bridge and back (Salwarpe). Had
Goldfinch/Chaffinch
Lesser Redpoll
Dunnock
Robin
Wren
Song/Mistle Thrush
Grey Heron
Blackcap
Magpie/Jay
Reed Bunting
Fieldfare
Nuthatch
Redwing
Blue/Great/Coal/LT Tit
Mallard/Moorhen/Goosander
Pheasant/Red-legged Partridge

Pleasant walk down the canal today. Went to Mildenham Bridge and back (Salwarpe). Had
Goldfinch/Chaffinch
Lesser Redpoll
Dunnock
Robin
Wren
Song/Mistle Thrush
Grey Heron
Blackcap
Magpie/Jay
Reed Bunting
Fieldfare
Nuthatch
Redwing
Blue/Great/Coal/LT Tit
Mallard/Moorhen/Goosander
Pheasant/Red-legged Partridge

Hi Rob,

Where did you have your Goosander?

I've only seen this species around the confluence at Hawford so far this year but they do wander up the valley from time to time - seen twice around Salwarpe last year, for example. still a good bird on the patch. :t:

3 Wigeon at the confluence at Hawford - feeding on the banks of the river - 2 males and a female.

Male Gadwall at Tapenhall earlier.

Correction - 3 female Wigeon so 5 in total.

Last edited:
Other birds this morning included a Peregrine on a pylon near Tapenhall, a male Blackcap near Linacre bridge, a Greylag over Hawford and 5+ Siskins in alders at Salwarpe court.

A few other species noted over the weekend included 2 Coots on Tapenhall pool on Friday and Saturday. Yellowhammer over Egg Lane on Friday and one near Woodbury Cottage yesterday. Fieldfares and Redwings in a few places, Sparrowhawk and Buzzards plus male and female Kestrels, Mistle Thrushes, both of the common Woodpeckers, Nuthatch, Coal tits, Goldcrests, etc.

The year list stands at 71 species (this compares to 68 at this point last year).

Hi Rob,

Where did you have your Goosander?

I've only seen this species around the confluence at Hawford so far this year but they do wander up the valley from time to time - seen twice around Salwarpe last year, for example. still a good bird on the patch. :t:

Flew up the canal from bridge no. 4! (Sorry, can't remember its name).

Walked the length of the canal down to the Severn and back today. I'd like to say it was a pleasant walk and on the whole I did enjoy it although on the way back I found myself in the middle of a shooting party. On the way down I'd heard about 3 shoots off to the left of the canal, but as I returned one was taking place in a field immediately to the right of the canal.

A lady with two dogs reassured me that they were shooting uphill, ie away from the canal. Yeah, as if. Whenever a flight of birds got past the line they'd turn round and shoot towards the canal. I heard many lead shot coming down into the vegetation. Luckily they weren't good shots and most birds escaped but I saw 5 pheasant and 1 partridge taken down.

A female Mandarin on the river at Hawford lock this morning. A male Blackcap and a female Tufted Duck nearby. 5 Greylags at Hawford Mill. Yellowhammer near Daniel's Farm plus a few Linnets (a flock of c40 Linnets yesterday feeding around Tapenhall farm yesterday). Skylark near Egg Lane yesterday plus Male Kestrel yesterday, and few Buzzards around. Winter Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Cormorants, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers etc.

At the confluence this morning 1 Coot, 3 Gadwall (2 drakes), 8 Wigeon (4 drakes) and 1 Little Grebe. 5+ Greylags around Hawford.

2 Peregrines on pylon near Middleton Grange this morning also. Further birds seen included Grey Wagtail, Treecreeper, Grey Herons, Bullfinches and a female Blackcap near Mildenham Mill. Large numbers of Cormorants around - with 16 perched just in one tree.

Walked the length of the canal down to the Severn and back today. I'd like to say it was a pleasant walk and on the whole I did enjoy it although on the way back I found myself in the middle of a shooting party. On the way down I'd heard about 3 shoots off to the left of the canal, but as I returned one was taking place in a field immediately to the right of the canal.

A lady with two dogs reassured me that they were shooting uphill, ie away from the canal. Yeah, as if. Whenever a flight of birds got past the line they'd turn round and shoot towards the canal. I heard many lead shot coming down into the vegetation. Luckily they weren't good shots and most birds escaped but I saw 5 pheasant and 1 partridge taken down.

It was probably the last shoot of the season ,so they were getting desperate. Its a cease fire now until October.

A Little Egret flew over Coney Meadow at around 5pm this evening heading towards Westwood . 2500+ Starlings roosted, a Water Rail called, a Sparrowhawk successfully caught something and a Tawny Owl called from Salwarpe churchyard.

A single Snipe flew over Coney at around midday and 3 Siskins were in alders at Salwarpe court.

my first walk down the canal this year only to Potters Mill this afternoon, only 36 birds in total, Grey wagtail and Cormorant highlights looks like corveds building in numbers ready for pairing up.Lots of people around today enjoying the day in many different ways.

Attachments

• IMG_7712.JPG
    IMG_7712.JPG
    532.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7714.JPG
    IMG_7714.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7717.JPG
    IMG_7717.JPG
    799 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7719.JPG
    IMG_7719.JPG