• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfare v Mistle Thrush (1 Viewer)

stevieb

Attempting to put Melksham on the map
Mentioned this on 'food & feeders' forum'. After putting out apples I have had a Fieldfare down all day.
It's interesting that the dynamics of the pecking order has now changed.
For weeks our resident male Blackbird has been top dog of the garden, chasing away a couple of Song Thrushes every time they attempted to feed from the ground feeder. Now the tables have turned and the Fieldfare has been keeping him away all afternoon since it came down for the apples.

It would be interesting to see who would be 'top dog' between Fieldfare and Mistle Thrush? As Harry Hill would say "there's only one way to find out. FIIIIGHT!!! "

Anyone like to have a guess?

Mistle thrushes dominate every thrush - often keeping others off food sources - especially berry trees.
One in my garden now pops in and puts the Blackbirds in their place.

Fieldfare in my garden keep most things away from the apples lol
Including Blackbirds, Starlings, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush and other Fieldfare he will tolerate smaller birds though such hap chappy inside i bet lol

karpman

Hey found this photo of him in action!
He had just belly bashed me reed bunting and was heading for the starling!:-O

happy days

Attachments

• Actionfare.jpg
    Actionfare.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 132
Had a mistle thrush (a first) land in a tree in the garden yesterday in which a fieldfare was busy eating an apple. The fieldfare flew up towards the mistle which just bent down and pecked it on the head- end of contest! Sadly the mistle left without eating anything.

Ive had the 5 'British' thrush's in the garden in the last week. the Fieldfare was originally 'The Don' but a huge Mistle Thrush has been sitting around in the garden not feeding, just sitting there and chasing off any bird that comes within a 30 meter radius of the house! seriously, there was a fieldfare on a house roof, 5 houses away and the Mistle Thrush went and attacked it!

I'm getting quite bored of the Mistle now and would love to have the Fieldfare back! at least it let other birds in the garden (just not near his apple!)

Zac

Mistle Thrush is definitely top thrush in my garden - a single bird dominates 3 Fieldfares, which in turn boss the Blackbirds (up to 20 at a time), with a solitary Redwing at the bottom of the heap. Two of the Fieldfares have pretty intense battles - they come to blows at times.

Putting out plenty of chopped apple, sultanas, peanuts, sunflower hearts and decent quality mixed seed seems to keep them all fed and happy - but squabbles keep breaking out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back