• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly ID please (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
Could anyone help with the ID of the attached dragonflies. These were taken yesterday at Dammam, eastern Saudi Arabia.

Thanks

Attachments

• AJD_3115_800w.jpg
    AJD_3115_800w.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 95
  • AJD_3117_800w.jpg
    AJD_3117_800w.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 92
  • AJD_3122_800w.jpg
    AJD_3122_800w.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 96
Very nice pics - although sometimes it's better to get a bit further away and (try to!) get pics from above and the side.

I have no knowledge of Arabian dragonflies so these are guesses from looking in my (limited) books (English names from Dijkstra)

1 & 2 ? Trithemis annulata (Violet Dropwing) female

3 Diplacodes lefebvrii (Black Percher)

On your web page the one with green eyes is Orthetrum sabina (Slender Skimmer), the one being eaten looks like Crocothemis erythraea (Scarlet Darter) and the one with yellow wings could be Trithemis kirbyi (Orange-winged Dropwing)

HTH

Very nice pics - although sometimes it's better to get a bit further away and (try to!) get pics from above and the side.

I have no knowledge of Arabian dragonflies so these are guesses from looking in my (limited) books (English names from Dijkstra)

1 & 2 ? Trithemis annulata (Violet Dropwing) female

3 Diplacodes lefebvrii (Black Percher)

On your web page the one with green eyes is Orthetrum sabina (Slender Skimmer), the one being eaten looks like Crocothemis erythraea (Scarlet Darter) and the one with yellow wings could be Trithemis kirbyi (Orange-winged Dropwing)

HTH

Wow, thanks for all your time and effort Paul and thanks for the tip on photographing dragonflies. I only started when there were no birds around and the bug bit. (pardon the pun) :-O

Wow, thanks for all your time and effort Paul and thanks for the tip on photographing dragonflies. I only started when there were no birds around and the bug bit. (pardon the pun) :-O

I should have added "for identification purposes" when I mentioned the angles for photographing - I'm pretty sure there are some suggestions in the sticky at the top of the forum.

With the light you have in Saudi you will get excellent shots of the wing venation - here we are struggling to get enough light to take a picture :).

What camera set up do you use?

I should have added "for identification purposes" when I mentioned the angles for photographing - I'm pretty sure there are some suggestions in the sticky at the top of the forum.

With the light you have in Saudi you will get excellent shots of the wing venation - here we are struggling to get enough light to take a picture :).

What camera set up do you use?

Sorry for the delayed reply but I'm two hours ahead and had gone to bed. For the pictures I used a Nikon D200 with a Nikon 105 micro VR lens. On some of the pictures I also used the built-in flash which would help in bringing out the veins of the wings. I think my next purchase will be the R1C1 close-up speed light. I saw one demonstrated at last years Bird Fair was was very impressed. A friend has one and gets very good results with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back