• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new tripod (1 Viewer)

Hi All.
I'm looking to buy a new tripod in the £150-£200 ish mark.
advice please as to what to look at.
I'll be using my Kowa TSN 821

regards Baz

Last edited:
Just my 2p, but I would wait (save) and get something better than your current budget allows. I use your scope's predecessor - namely a TSN4.

I occasionally use it on a Gitzo GT2531 (not really up to the job but light) or a Gitzo GT4542LS - much better but could be better still.

I find scopes to be far more demanding on tripods than even the largest lenses that Canon make (yes I have their longest EF lens) which is why I advocate the best tripods. A tripod upgrade is much cheaper than a scope upgrade and gives more improvement IMO.

Just my thoughts.

Hi,

I agree with John that at the given budget a good tripod will be hard to find new.

On the other hand these used legs on UK ebay look very much like my old Velbon legs and might work as well for you as mine do for me (with a Kowa TSN-3, which is 200g lighter than your scope but that should be no issue).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velbon-C...749383?hash=item1a77f5d587:g:hhsAAOSw6PtchkQo

Be prepared to get rid of the head on that and replace with sth reasonable - I like the 500AH.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrott...982695&hash=item3b394b1b71:g:KewAAOSwGUhdg4fE

And maybe a mulepack... I like mine a lot.

Joachim

As Jring says it is hard to find a good tripod new at sensible money - I have but I am a spawney get! I have also had one or two, ridiculously good purchases second hand. I use Gitzo tripods because I have found them to be the best (in Europe) and they are cheaper than the Chinese copies.

Be patient, hunt around, the bargains are out there...............

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back