• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skiathos/Scopolos Birding? (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hello, anybody got any experiences of birding on either of these two islands? I have tried on the Greece thread but with limited success.
Any information greatfully recieved!

Hello, anybody got any experiences of birding on either of these two islands? I have tried on the Greece thread but with limited success.
Any information greatfully recieved!

No experience on the second island, Daniel but some years ago we went to Skiathos. We had the smallest bird count we've ever had on a European holiday - about 15!! Does that answer your question?

Maybe it was the time of year we went - but I can't remember.

Sandra

Thanks for the reply Sandra, I had a feeling that may be the reason why there is little in the way of ornithological literature regarding this area! I'm visiting in late May so there is the possibility of a few late migrants/breeding species, if not I shall enjoy the culture and butterflies!
I know that Elenoras falcon, Yelkonan Shearwater and Audiouns gull all breed, and that Ballions Crake has been recorded on passage. Other than that...
I cant say I'm hoping to see any new birds!

Thanks for the reply Sandra, I had a feeling that may be the reason why there is little in the way of ornithological literature regarding this area! I'm visiting in late May so there is the possibility of a few late migrants/breeding species, if not I shall enjoy the culture and butterflies!
I know that Elenoras falcon, Yelkonan Shearwater and Audiouns gull all breed, and that Ballions Crake has been recorded on passage. Other than that...
I cant say I'm hoping to see any new birds!

Maybe we went in mid-summer. I can't remember - just know that it wouldn't have been May or Autumn.

If we did go again we wouldn't hire a car as there is a good bus service that travels all the way back and forth on the main road. You get off at numbered stops to join the smaller roads & tracks. Once off this main road some of the tracks were really rough and rocky and we had to reverse many times.

Sandra

I visited Skiathos in June 2000 and saw 30 species only! Eleonora's Falcons came in over the town hunting in the evenings; saw a Little Bittern a few times in a marshy area behind Koukounaries beach; watched Cory's and Yelkouan Shearwaters from the NW corner of the island. I expect you could get up to 50 species with a bit of effort but it was pretty hot and I just used the public transport.

I also visited Skopelos one June (1992) but it got ridiculously hot (40C) and saw even fewer birds than on Skiathos. Did see a few Bonelli's Eagles though and went on a boat trip round Alonissos and a few uninhabitated islands and saw more Shearwaters, Eleanora's and Bonelli's Eagles.

HTH, Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul, I will certainly check out the Koukounaries area, as I was told that eastern Olly warbler breeds in this area, and I think that is the only possible new species I would see. We probably will hire a car, simply because we want to explore Skopelos, and check out a few beaches! Thanks for your replies, if anybody has any experience at all I'd gladly hear it, hopefully I'll see something!

I stayed on Skopelos in May 2002 and it wasn't bad at all. Also made an overnight trip to Alonnisos.

There's a small creek on Skopelos town beach worth visiting , i went daily and saw Broad billed,Marsh and Curlew sandpiper, Little stint . Walking around the villages brought Black headed bunting, RF Falcon, Lesser Kestrel, Bonellis & Golden Eagle. Also Eleonoras Falcon, a couple of Audouins gulls, Yelkouan Shearwaters, Orphean, Bonellis, Subalpine, Sardinian warbler, and a fair few others.

Ah, good holiday that, the local ouzo was good stuff, music (Rembetika) and the walking and swimming were superb. Not sure how Mamma Mia may have affected things but the locals reckoned April/ May were the best time to go before the summer influx from Italy and Athens.

Thanks for that Paul, really useful information. We'll probably only be visiting Skopelos for the day, but Ill be sure to check the river area! It'd be great to see Orphean warbler and Lesser kestrel as both would be new birds for me. Im looking forward to it!

Hello Chrissy,

Thanks for the link, really nicely written and some fantastic photos on there. I must admit I think the Butterflies will be a highlight for me as Im not expecting (m)any new birds on the trip. The island looks beautiful. Ill be sure to write up a journal of my visit along with any photos I manage.

Daniel,
The butterflies in late May early June are abundant ~ I am up to about 40-50 species now. Always lovely to see :)
Although birding seems to be a bit hit and miss, I know that Golden Orioles have been seen at Kolios and also Hoopoes at Troulos.
Not new for you I suspect but, there are some places that really do warrant a closer look...
I look forward to your journal...meanwhile I need to add to mine but I shall wait until after my next visit. Once again I spotted more in September but, I am beginning to suspect that this is because I am finding more habitats!
Regards
Chrissy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back