• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (1 Viewer)

40 moths of 11 species in the trap this morning (and 6 May Bugs). Peak numbers Heart and Dart again (they are soooo boring!) with 21; Shuttle-shaped Darts (not much less boring) second with 8.

Otherwise, Common Rustic (is that another agg thing?) NFY, another Lime Hawk-moth - I checked the markings against the previous one and they are definitely different moths - and a Willow Beauty best of the rest.

John

In the past, I've experimented with a few of the common Hawkmoths, by putting a tiny dab of liquid paper on the abdomen and I've never had a recatch.

Really enjoying the moth-ing at the moment as there is little pressure to get out early for birding. And every morning seems to bring something new.

Today produced my first Buff-tip of the year, always a highlight. Also NFY were Mottled Pug, Tawny-marbled Minor (I am a bit cavalier with marbled minors) and 'Small Magpie'. Two micros turned out to be lifers - Spuleria flavicaput (weird etymology) and Notocelia trimaculana: I may have overlooked the latter in the past.

Steve

20/05. 55 moths of 27 species, plus 2 Marbled Minor agg and a Cockchafer.
5 Pale Tussock, 4 Small Elephant, 8 LBAM, 6 Common Wainscot, 4 Rustic Shoulder-knot the bigger numbers.
Light Emerald, Elaschista argentella, Campion, Set Heb Character, Mompha substrigella and Teleiodes vulgella new for garden (and the latter a lifer).
Hoping my ID skills speed up as the numbers increase or I'll be in trouble. Also, really enjoying the mothing too.

85 moths of (I think) 24 species last night. 37 Heart and Dart top of the bill (bottom of the aesthetics) with second place in both categories to 14 Shuttle-shaped Darts. One each of Lime and Poplar Hawk-moths, very nice but couldn't I have a different Hawk please?

NFY: Bright-line Brown-eye, Silver Y, Cypress Carpet.

Two awaiting the ID sub-forum's judgement, I think they are the same species (Edit: Yes, Sycamore NFY).

Only 6 May Bugs last night.

John

Last edited:
Thought I'd join in on this especially as F'boro John is the other end of Farnborough to me (Hi John!). I don't get the trap out every night so forgive random updates. Much lower numbers than others, maybe as I don't have a professional set up but 20th May had 3 x Treblie Lines, 2 x Heart and Dart and my first Eyed Hawkmoth. Will try and upload a picture later.

Attachments

• Eyed Hawkmoth 20 May.jpg
    Eyed Hawkmoth 20 May.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
NFY this morning in my Lufbra garden trap were Poplar Hawk-moth, Willow Beauty, Small Dusty Wave, Broken-barred Carpet and White-pinion Spotted (a lifer).

Only 34 moths in total, commonest Common Marbled Carpet at 9.

Steve

Thought I'd join in on this especially as F'boro John is the other end of Farnborough to me (Hi John!). I don't get the trap out every night so forgive random updates. Much lower numbers than others, maybe as I don't have a professional set up but 20th May had 3 x Treblie Lines, 2 x Heart and Dart and my first Eyed Hawkmoth. Will try and upload a picture later.

Only ever had one of those Allen (EHM)...an absolute stunner!...aren’t they all? :t:

Only ever had one of those Allen (EHM)...an absolute stunner!...aren’t they all? :t:

I had my first in 16 years last year, it took me ten years to get Lime but now they're annual, still waiting for Small Elephant to complete the native set.

Attachments

• rsz_20190608_142728.jpg
    rsz_20190608_142728.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just put trap out and you are right, it is windy and much cooler. Perhaps a shorter session and early night.
Last night's, 21/05, produced 97 moths of 36 species. It got to the point where I ran out of tubes, with so many coming in just after midnight, and I had to put 2 or 3 to a tube from the house wall. As a result I stopped earlier than usual. Several new for both me and the garden but mostly micros. Nice to get 2 Elephants and only 1 Small Heffalump. My first garden Powdered Quaker, Small Magpie and Small Square-spot. Common Wainscot and H&D in double figures. Plus a Shore Sexton Beetle which I could smell from 6 feet away: I love them but they do niff bad. Serious tube washing ahead.

Just put trap out and you are right, it is windy and much cooler. Perhaps a shorter session and early night.
Last night's, 21/05, produced 97 moths of 36 species. It got to the point where I ran out of tubes, with so many coming in just after midnight, and I had to put 2 or 3 to a tube from the house wall. As a result I stopped earlier than usual. Several new for both me and the garden but mostly micros. Nice to get 2 Elephants and only 1 Small Heffalump. My first garden Powdered Quaker, Small Magpie and Small Square-spot. Common Wainscot and H&D in double figures. Plus a Shore Sexton Beetle which I could smell from 6 feet away: I love them but they do niff bad. Serious tube washing ahead.

We used to get Burying Beetles Nicrophorus vespillo to the light in Russia, what a horrendous stink they leave on anything they touch.

Last edited:
A lot less came in last night - I trapped despite the wind because the Northerly aspect of my back garden meant it was sheltered, but it obviously made a substantial difference to the catch.

Even the Heart and Dart plague was down to 21 individuals, by far the biggest proportion of a total catch of 26 moths of 5 species. On the bright side Scorched Wing was a tick!

So no complaints and definitely worth the effort. Effort.... ha! I piled some eggboxes, inserted an electric plug in a socket and slept like a log. I love my moth trap.

John

A lot less came in last night - I trapped despite the wind because the Northerly aspect of my back garden meant it was sheltered, but it obviously made a substantial difference to the catch.

Even the Heart and Dart plague was down to 21 individuals, by far the biggest proportion of a total catch of 26 moths of 5 species. On the bright side Scorched Wing was a tick!

So no complaints and definitely worth the effort. Effort.... ha! I piled some eggboxes, inserted an electric plug in a socket and slept like a log. I love my moth trap.

John

I'm on a high, exposed corner which really gets blasted, no point trapping in anything other than a light breeze.

Smallest catch of the week but two NFY - Turnip Moth and Setaceous Hebrew Character.

I've been catching the latter for years and never thought about what setaceous means. Just looked it up to enlighten myself - not a meaning I had expected.

Steve

Just found a Campion on the wall near my light,
it must have sat there since I last trapped two nights ago, not wanting to fly in the wind.

Smallest catch of the week but two NFY - Turnip Moth and Setaceous Hebrew Character.

I've been catching the latter for years and never thought about what setaceous means. Just looked it up to enlighten myself - not a meaning I had expected.

Steve

Now you've made me look as well. :-O

I always assumed it referred to the "Hebrew Character" itself - I'm well and truly disabused of that!

John

Steve

I've looked before, but had to look again just now to refresh my memory. Now to go unshaven for a week and casually slip it into conversation with some unsuspecting listener. :king:

22/05 Gave me 46 moths of 22 species. New for garden - Blood-vein and Agapeta hamana.
9 Heart & Dart, 5 Nutmeg, 4 Common Wainscot the big hitters. A change of Sextons with Black Sexton instead, sadly using the same aftershave as his cousin!
I collected a generator today for away days, once home games get too repetitive.
I checked out Setaceous three days ago, I realised I should have known once I saw the meaning as the term Setae occurs in worm, beetle and moss keys. Just shows something out of context doesn't always click in the mind.
Here in Herts its blowing a gale and feels very cold so no trap tonight.

With the wind still in the Southern quarter I again decided the house would shelter the back garden and put the trap out. My reward was the usual avalanche of Heart and Dart (18 last night) and just three other moths, but one was NFY Setaceous Hebrew Character, so it was all worthwhile!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back