• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The one that got away....... (2 Viewers)

At least binocular designs are still basically sticking to relevant essentials, and a simple pleasure to use -- a stark contrast to camera design today, not to mention (as Kevin has) cars. If such electronic complexity ever comes to binos, watch the values of classic alphas soar.

Back to what got away (can't edit yesterday's post):

I suppose the other early '90s bino I missed and would have enjoyed, if I'd been paying attention at the time, was the (Dekarem-based) Docter Classic 10x50 that preceded the ugly Nobilem series. But the more I think about that, the more clearly I see the line between using binoculars and collecting them, which I don't really want to be doing. That was a rather bulky heavy glass, and I can't imagine it would have seen much real use. This thread has actually led me to realize that there isn't much else I wish I had, which is a very nice state to have arrived at.

The ones that got away from me (waited to long to buy new, then didn't see available used, now not sure how much I care anymore :) are as follows:

Bausch & Lomb 7x36 Elite (roof)
Swift 8.5x44 Audubon 804 ED (porro)
Miyauchi 5x32 Binon (porro)

Another that _almost_ got away was the B&L 7x26 Custom (porro) of the version that immediately preceded the switch to the bulked-up plastic-shelled design.

Two that I _wish_ had gotten away are the Leica 10x25 Trinovid (roof) and the Nikon 10x42 Venturer LX/HG (roof). Both were soon surpassed, and I never use 10x anyway.

My candidate for the next one to likely get away from me is the Canon 10x42 L IS WP (porro).

--AP

Last edited:
Alexis, the LX 10X42 still a good glass with good light, and for astro. The armor is so much better than the LX L version and some glass offered on todays glass.

Andy W.

One that almost got away is the Swarovski 8X42 SLC HD WB (one version back from the current model with the close focus). There were less in the channel than I thought when the closeout took place and they were gone in a hurry. Those that were left were at high retail. Ultimately, about two years later, a like new with box, papers and accessories showed up on the Bay at a great price and I got it.

Two that are or will be going away that have my interest are the Zeiss HT and the Zeiss 8X32 FL. I am undecided between an 8X and a 10X in the HT but leaning toward the 10X and a low light game spotter.

I suppose the other early '90s bino I missed and would have enjoyed, if I'd been paying attention at the time, was the (Dekarem-based) Docter Classic 10x50 that preceded the ugly Nobilem series. But the more I think about that, the more clearly I see the line between using binoculars and collecting them, which I don't really want to be doing.

I too would really have liked to have looked through the very last models of the Docter Classics! I used the East German made 8x30 Jenoptem a fair bit and it was a good performer for the price. The Docter versions with improved multi-coatings (Zeiss Jena's T3M was adequate but not the equal of Zeiss West's T*) and probably better build quality would have been the ultimate versions of the classic old 8x30 and 10x50 designs. Incidentally, I agree the later Nobilems look - and doubtless are - large and clunky, but I do admire the looks of the early versions that resembled the Oberkochen porros. I wish Docter had produced say the 12x50B spezial with updated coatings...

At least binocular designs are still basically sticking to relevant essentials, and a simple pleasure to use -- a stark contrast to camera design today, not to mention (as Kevin has) cars. If such electronic complexity ever comes to binos, watch the values of classic alphas soar.

I'm not so sure I agree on that one - if one looks at camera lenses I don't really see huge demand/soaring values for manual focus lenses (apart from Leica, I guess, many of which are probably purchased by collectors rather than users), although of course prices have risen from what they used to be now that adapters are widely available. If technology and electronics can offer a better, possibly stabillized, image than current alphas in an ergonomic and weather resistant package, bring it on. One of the other threads mentioned watches - if electronics can offer the same improvement image-wise as quartz or digital watches did in terms of timekeeping, for the same relative price, well...bring it on.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure I agree on that one - if one looks at camera lenses I don't really see huge demand/soaring values for manual focus lenses (apart from Leica, I guess, many of which are probably purchased by collectors rather than users), although of course prices have risen from what they used to be now that adapters are widely available. If technology and electronics can offer a better, possibly stabillized, image than current alphas in an ergonomic and weather resistant package, bring it on.
That's absolutely a valid point, although for me optics aren't just a means to an end but tools I appreciate in their own right, and expect to last. I'm being a stick in the mud, starting to sound like the old(ish) fogey I never imagined I'd be. Don't even get me started on cars. The pace of technological change has become too fast for me in our society in all kinds of ways, and people even seem convinced that innovation is a good in itself that will magically solve all the problems we're ignoring while we try to keep up with it. (/rant)

That's absolutely a valid point, although for me optics aren't just a means to an end but tools I appreciate in their own right, and expect to last. I'm being a stick in the mud, starting to sound like the old(ish) fogey I never imagined I'd be. Don't even get me started on cars. The pace of technological change has become too fast for me in our society in all kinds of ways, and people even seem convinced that innovation is a good in itself that will magically solve all the problems we're ignoring while we try to keep up with it. (/rant)

Tenex I was an old fogey before I heard of the term.

Many years ago when I was in my twenties I wrote an article that got published in Motorcycle Sport magazine. It was entitled 'Hope for the Less Ambitious?' and was a protest about the stream of 4 cylinder motorcycles that was flowing out of Japan at the time and the seeming abandoning of twins and singles which I thought still had their place.

I thought it then and think it now: more isn't always better.

Lee

Not to go too off thread, the English had the best handling bikes back then along with BMW, anything from Japan back then, had the worst handling and suspension.

Andy W.

I'm not so sure I agree on that one - if one looks at camera lenses I don't really see huge demand/soaring values for manual focus lenses (apart from Leica, I guess, many of which are probably purchased by collectors rather than users), although of course prices have risen from what they used to be now that adapters are widely available. If technology and electronics can offer a better, possibly stabillized, image than current alphas in an ergonomic and weather resistant package, bring it on. One of the other threads mentioned watches - if electronics can offer the same improvement image-wise as quartz or digital watches did in terms of timekeeping, for the same relative price, well...bring it on.

Zeiss manual lenses sell well. They are modern designs that couple with the electronics of the camera for accurate focusing, and exposure control.
Modern cameras have no facility (split or micro prisms) to focus old lenses and the camera won't stop the lens down at the time of exposure. They are just mostly impractical.

Many years ago when I was in my twenties I wrote an article that got published in Motorcycle Sport magazine. It was entitled 'Hope for the Less Ambitious?' and was a protest about the stream of 4 cylinder motorcycles that was flowing out of Japan at the time and the seeming abandoning of twins and singles which I thought still had their place.

Lee

I've had them all and currently my three bikes are all singles. I like simple as well.

The Japanese were selling singles and twins after the release of the Honda 750 (which started the 4 cylinder invasion). The bigger bikes were 4 cylinders, primarily, but that was a design choice by them to easily gain more power which is what people wanted. The primary difference the Japanese brought to the party was reliability. With both power and reliability they could have been 8 cylinder bikes and the public would have ate them up with a spoon.

Not to go too off thread, the English had the best handling bikes back then along with BMW, anything from Japan back then, had the worst handling and suspension.

Andy W.

It depends on when "back then" was. By 1977 the GS750 showed them all how to do it. I had a BMW R75/5 at the time I first rode the then new Suzuki. Though I was very accustomed to the oddities and quirks of the BMW and had convinced myself of it's good handling, the Suzuki was a revelation. Power, brakes, and handling like I'd never experienced before.

Sorry to everyone else for the continuation of off topic talk but I just had to chime in. Cheers.

Lee

Lee,

Mine is an air cooled twin! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 36
I had a very good friend for many years who rode a big Harley. He would take a little tent and stove and head out from here and just ride down through Eastern Oregon, AZ, NV, New Mexico all by hisself for weeks at a time. He was a huge guy with hair down to the middle of his back and looked exactly like the picture in your mind of a Hells Angel. I gave him those little 7x25 Nikons I traveled with for 20 years that I mentioned a while back. He loved them in the same way I did. He was my best friend here. His son committed suicide and he grew quiet and rode out alone more and more. One day he told me he was leaving. He quit where we were working and now is living as a Buddhist Monk somewhere down in Northern California. I never hear from him. He's gone gone.

I had a very good friend for many years who rode a big Harley. He would take a little tent and stove and head out from here and just ride down through Eastern Oregon, AZ, NV, New Mexico all by hisself for weeks at a time. He was a huge guy with hair down to the middle of his back and looked exactly like the picture in your mind of a Hells Angel. I gave him those little 7x25 Nikons I traveled with for 20 years that I mentioned a while back. He loved them in the same way I did. He was my best friend here. His son committed suicide and he grew quiet and rode out alone more and more. One day he told me he was leaving. He quit where we were working and now is living as a Buddhist Monk somewhere down in Northern California. I never hear from him. He's gone gone.

Let us hope he found the peace most of us never do.

edj

He shaved his head just before he left and man did he look scary. The perfect Monk lol. I should have gotten those binos back from him because he sold his home that he dearly loved and had to give up all his possessions to be accepted in the monastery. I'm pretty sure he'll do well but that's a heck of a transition to make. He was a heavy rock and roller and loved the women.

Lee,

Mine is an air cooled twin! ;)

Best bike I ever had was an air cooled twin as well.

Now to get back to binos: packed away in the panniers were a pair of 1971 Swift Audubons and a pair of 1972 Swift Saratoga 8x40s. We were on our way to the Shetland Islands and the Swifts did not like the rain there....

Lee

Attachments

• BMWedited.jpg
    BMWedited.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 38
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back