• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fascinating Interview with Meopta Product Manager (2 Viewers)

I think we are just showing our age my friend...It wouldn't surprise me that the pre-war generation who had used things like Galilean binoculars and Barr & Stroud CF41s also thought that Dialyts and Trinovids were modern and zany when they appeared.

Good point. What I mostly miss is the good old dogma "form follows function". If you look at how functional u-boot-binoculars from WW2 were designed or even the east german army EDF I miss the same form factor quality today. Modern is no problem by itself. There are many well made mobile phones and laptops that are designed pretty straightforward and nice to use.
Cars on the other hand have to show off: Status, prestige, power, higher rank, muscles - all those headlight vodoo faces. I'm more a function guy. Look at those maglite torches. Super straight, robust non slipping easy to hold and use. That's what I like. Make binoculars like them please.

I have the Meostar S2 HD scope with the 30-60 fixed-AFOV eyepiece, a great combination. They have dropped the ball on accessories, however:
  • The DSLR adapter is still made for the S1 and needs the S1 eyepiece adapter to fit it to the S2, a clunky solution at best.
  • It would also be nice if they made an Arca-Swiss rather than Manfrotto quick-release foot available so those of us who use gimbal tripod heads (which mostly have Arca clamps, as is generally the case in the high-end photography space)

I have the Meostar S2 HD scope with the 30-60 fixed-AFOV eyepiece, a great combination. They have dropped the ball on accessories, however:
  • The DSLR adapter is still made for the S1 and needs the S1 eyepiece adapter to fit it to the S2, a clunky solution at best.
  • It would also be nice if they made an Arca-Swiss rather than Manfrotto quick-release foot available so those of us who use gimbal tripod heads (which mostly have Arca clamps, as is generally the case in the high-end photography space)

Bogen Manfrotto tripods are very popular, so you can't please
everyone.

Jerry

Hello

This is unfortunately sad news.

Yesterday night, Paul Rausnitz, the man who has saved the Meopta company from bankruptcy after the velvet revolution, and brought it to what it is today - a prospering company with more than 2300 employees and producing great quality instruments, has died in his sleep at the age of 90.

Without him, the Meopta brand would probably no longer exist, or mean a lot less than it does today.

My condolences to his family and business partners.

Mr. Rausnitz, thank you for everything you've done for Meopta, and may you rest in peace.

Martin

https://www.meopta.com/en/news/paul-rausnitz-passed-away/

Last edited:
Hello

This is unfortunately sad news.

Yesterday night, Paul Rausnitz, the man who has saved the Meopta company from bankruptcy after the velvet revolution, and brought it to what it is today - a prospering company with more than 2300 employees and producing great quality instruments, has died in his sleep at the age of 90.

Without him, the Meopta brand would probably no longer exist, or mean a lot less than it does today.

My condolences to his family and business partners.

Mr. Rausnitz, thank you for everything you've done for Meopta, and may you rest in peace.

Martin

https://www.meopta.com/en/news/paul-rausnitz-passed-away/

Thank you Martin for posting this sad news. Now we must wait to see what the future holds for the Meopta companies and especially Meopta-Optika.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back