• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dispersal of Common Swift - UK (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Over the years, I've noted that in Nottingham, most Common Swifts have gone by the second week in August yet, when I'm in St Petersburg, Russia, they are evident in to late August at least.

St Petersburg is a lot further North than Nottingham so why do birds linger there longer? Is it just that the Nottingham birds move to congregate on the coast before migration which the Russian birds don't need to do?

Over the years, I've noted that in Nottingham, most Common Swifts have gone by the second week in August yet, when I'm in St Petersburg, Russia, they are evident in to late August at least.

St Petersburg is a lot further North than Nottingham so why do birds linger there longer? Is it just that the Nottingham birds move to congregate on the coast before migration which the Russian birds don't need to do?

Might the air temperature be higher Aug.end of in St.Petersburg at that time than in the UK, which may have cooled somewhat by that date. (ie more flying invertebrates) in the higher temps?

Cheers

They clear out as soon as the young fledge. So presumably the breeding season in St P starts and finishes ~2 weeks later - I'd guess the start of spring is equally later in St P.

Might the air temperature be higher Aug.end of in St.Petersburg at that time than in the UK, which may have cooled somewhat by that date. (ie more flying invertebrates) in the higher temps?

Cheers

I doubt it Ken, on the same latitude as Shetland!

I doubt it Ken, on the same latitude as Shetland!

We know that the continental land mass enjoys more extreme temps than “Island’ UK andy, thus it would be interesting to know if Summer by “mean” temperature arrives earlier and or stays later than it does in Blighty.

I have to assume rightly or wrongly, that their is a “mean” arrival/departure difference for Shetland Swifts and say London Swifts, particularly as the London Swifts are concentrated en masse by the various reservoir groups?

Remembering that perhaps three or four days at either end might make a difference, that was my thought...and fwiw I assume other European countries would have a “mean” arrival and departure date for this species, any differences might be of interest regarding their North/South range within?

Cheers

Most birds cleared off this weekend in the Ruhr Area, Germany. Just a few individuals left where there used to be flocks.
The start of the breeding season sounds like a good explanation to me.
For example (also based on trektellen.nl), the peak of migration at Breskens (NL) is the first week of May, whereas in Latvia it appears to be the third/fourth week of May.

Hi,

Most birds cleared off this weekend in the Ruhr Area, Germany. Just a few individuals left where there used to be flocks.

The 4-nest micro-colony in front of my window (near Hamburg) obviously has finished breeding, but maybe 40% of the neighbourhood birds are still around as they are having screaming parties pointing out the nests.

(I always wonder of the young take part in these parties, but from I've recently read, it seems they don't.)

I've tried to make sense of the ornitho.de statistics, but they might be too coarse to show the migration South.

Here's the overview for all of Germany for 2018:

Screenshot_2019-07-31 - www ornitho de.jpg

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

The 4-nest micro-colony in front of my window (near Hamburg) obviously has finished breeding, but maybe 40% of the neighbourhood birds are still around as they are having screaming parties pointing out the nests.

I've tried to make sense of the ornitho.de statistics, but they might be too coarse to show the migration South.
If the other contributors are anything like me, they are much more likely to report a Swift in August than in June/July.

Hamburg/Ruhr Area is not Nottingham/St Peterburg, but it fits to the pattern!

Hi,

If the other contributors are anything like me, they are much more likely to report a Swift in August than in June/July.

You're right, and I think I'm not all that different :)

The overview graph I posted is based on the maximum group size of swifts per square of the "TK25" topographical map, per 10 day period.

That should be pretty resilient against irregular reporting, except perhaps in very sparsely populated parts of the country.

Regards,

Henning

The start of the breeding season sounds like a good explanation to me.
For example (also based on trektellen.nl), the peak of migration at Breskens (NL) is the first week of May, whereas in Latvia it appears to be the third/fourth week of May.

Does that mean that the further East that one travels at this time, the “mean” temps are lower, hence the earlier arrival times to the West?

Cheers

Does that mean that the further East that one travels at this time, the “mean” temps are lower, hence the earlier arrival times to the West?

Cheers

Well I can tell you that generally, St Petersburg's spring is almost a month behind Nottingham's.

I guess they breed later due to food availability so leave later?

Thirty-one thousand three hundred and fifty Swifts passed south Gibraltar Point, Lincs yesterday:eek!:

Probably goes some way explaining just the two seen today over the house.

......and now c15. :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back