• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird info (1 Viewer)

dbrin73

Hello my name is Don and I'm completely new to the site. This actually the very first forum I have ever even been on. I have a few questions and please excuse my ignorance, I absolutely know nothing about birds or have any knowledge on their behaviors. I will upload some pics i have and these are pics that were taken from a security camera on my building that is approx 25 ft off the ground. So this happened last year and to myself and employee it was a very strange thing and it happened on 3 different occasions. So lomg story short, there was 3 separate birds that came out of nowhere one day and they flew in so fast it was like a blur. All 3 in a single file following one another. After doing a few loop arounds these things flew up to my camera and actually moreless hovered in mid air just like a hummingbird does. Now these birds were huge compared to a humming bird. The way they stared and seem to show intense aggression just but the look from it. I have no knowledge of birds but I am 44 years old have NEVER seen an event like this. Honestly it seemed like they could have even been more of like a drone than a real bird. They hovered in place maybe at min. 20-40 seconds each time. Anyone have any info??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180508-213042.jpg
    Screenshot_20180508-213042.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 40
Hi Don and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

That looks to me to be a Common Starling, but I can't explain the behaviour you observed.

I've therefore moved your post to the Bird Behaviour forum, and feel sure someone will be along soon to help you out.

I also subscribed you to this thread so that you can find it easily, as you'll get an email with my reply.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Yep, that's a Common Starling, a.k.a European Starling or Eurasian starling.

They like to nest in tight spaces, like inside streetlamps or inside the piping that is often used to bring overhead electric wires inside a house. Your camera may have looked like a potential nesting site; that would explain the close, hovering inspection.

Not sure about the three-in-a-line behavior, may have been a nesting pair and an annoying third wheel.

yup the security cam photo look really like a European Starling they can grow 19–23 cm (7.5–9.1 in) long, with a wingspan of 31–44 cm (12–17 in) and a weight of 58–101 g (2.0–3.6 oz)

The birds we saw were much much bigger than that also different beaks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back