• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Eagle in Oxfordshire. (1 Viewer)

First White-tailed Eagle I ever saw was in Oxfordshire, was a first-year, wasn't a release and didn't need the guidance of Red Kites (which weren't there then) to find food: pretty rubbish story.

John

Hi wilberfloss

I thought it was an interesting story. The story mentioned that young eagles roamed inland in the past. But I think it will be interesting to see if this one stays where it is or moves back to the coast. I also thought it was interesting that they take so many years to successfully reproduce.

First White-tailed Eagle I ever saw was in Oxfordshire, was a first-year, wasn't a release and didn't need the guidance of Red Kites (which weren't there then) to find food: pretty rubbish story.

John

I recognise this species, Homo arthriticus commonly known as 'Grumpy Old Man' cos I'm one too! ;)

John

The story is that one of the released IoW eagles has left the island and taken up residence in Oxfordshire, a story of interest I would have thought to most if not, apparently, all members of the BF community.

Happy New Year, John.

The story is that one of the released IoW eagles has left the island and taken up residence in Oxfordshire, a story of interest I would have thought to most if not, apparently, all members of the BF community.

Happy New Year, John.

Happy New Year to you as well, my comment on the story is no reflection on you.

As a direct release it's of limited interest, quite apart from the question of whether releasing on the IOW is going to be effective if birds immediately push off a hundred miles.

The other question is about how good the idea of a Southern England White-tailed Eagle project is given (a) the existence of a substantial population in Scotland and (b) conditions in the South.

I have also seen it suggested that a benefit of the releases will be a boost to Isle of Wight tourism. If you've visited the IOW in summer you will realise this is the last thing the place needs, especially if it is to be increasingly relied upon as a refuge for wild creatures. It's already rammed! One might also question the extent (should such a boost actually occur) to which it would detract from tourism funds reaching the Scottish North-west where that source of funding is already a substantial part of the economy and a factor in ensuring local assent to the presence of the eagles.

I would be as happy as anyone to see wild sea eagles over Southern Britain. However, I reserve the right to question whether this is the right time or plan and personally think it isn't.

So far as the story to which you linked goes, the idea that a White-tailed Eagle juvenile needs instruction from Red Kites on how to scavenge is simply nonsense and offends me.

Cheers

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back