• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of UAE query (1 Viewer)

htcdude

Hi guys,

I've got a family holiday booked to Dubai in October and was after a\some field guides. Looking at the Helm's Birds of the UAE this was published in 2011, so was just wondering if the data is still pretty accurate?

Are there any others I should be looking at? I currently have the Princeton Birds of the Middle East but it's limited in its distribution maps. As I'm a complete novice in the area something that covers a lot of species in detail would be nice!

So field guide and site guides (if they exist) is what I'd like.

Have been looking at the UAE Birding site which is useful, but something I can have in hand would be kool.

Many thanks in advance.

Nige

Birds of the UAE is now out of print, I'm afraid. See if you can get a second-hand copy! (Birds of the Middle East would be my other recommendation).

Jim

…………... Looking at the Helm's Birds of the UAE this was published in 2011, so was just wondering if the data is still pretty accurate?

Are there any others I should be looking at? I currently have the Princeton Birds of the Middle East but it's limited in its distribution maps. …………...
Nige

Not sure whether you can do better than with the second edition of Birds of the Middle East? What do you not like about those distribution maps? Just make sure you have the second edition, though. Should be pretty close to the UAE book, at least. Not sure whether there would be specific site information, however.

Last edited:
Not sure whether you can do better than with the second edition of Birds of the Middle East? What do you not like about those distribution maps? Just make sure you have the second edition, though. Should be pretty close to the UAE book, at least. Not sure whether there would be specific site information, however.

Thanks Swissboy.

The first edition just doens't seem to have as many maps as I'd like I guess, but maybe I'm asking too much!

I haven't seen inside the second edition yet, to see if it's much different. Will keep an eye out though.

Thanks,

Nige

Many thanks, already looks better than the first edition! I'll get a copy ordered

Nige

I think you will not regret getting this book. This weekend, I had a chance to compare it with a copy of the UAE book, and mostly the distribution maps are pretty close or identical in what info they contain.

I think you will not regret getting this book. This weekend, I had a chance to compare it with a copy of the UAE book, and mostly the distribution maps are pretty close or identical in what info they contain.

Brilliant that's good to know thanks :)

Nige

Hey Swissboy, second edition arrived in the post this morning :)

Definitely an improvement on the first edition! Thanks again for the advice :)

Nige

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back