• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why should I want to know your life/UK/patch list? (1 Viewer)

I completely disagree with John. I think it should be compulsory to post at least national and self-found lists under posts, including latest additions. In that way, at least I know what kind of birder I'm dealing with ...

A compulsive lister, with or without great birding skills, is all you'd be able to determine. Doesn't bother me either way. It's what they have to say that determines the relevance of the "birder you're dealing with".

Damn. Is it really necessary to expend mental energy dishing up a "wake up call to the list obsessed"? I do wonder how people can become so wound up by some other people they dont know doing something different from them. Its really rather frightening to realise threads like these are not just "trolling" but actually based on something a bit more real.

Great reply Xenospiza, with you all the way ;-)

My 'signature' has always been the same on Birdforum as a wake-up call to the list-obsessed, but they keep oversleeping and missing it. I think I would miss the little darlings if they went missing from my world though, I'd have to find another signature group to allow under my skin (cringeworthy birthday card style self penned attempts at poetry come to mind..)

But who cares what you think? Why do you think your so called wake up call means anything to anyone? I'd never noticed it before. It's as irrelavent (and by the way, even more childish) than my lists. Let's get on with life.....

To be more precise, it’s not that folks post such details that bugs me, rather that I can’t see why they should want to do so. Nobody’s actually said why they do it either (at least not when I last looked). And neither, apart from a means by which to draw possibly dubious conclusions, has anyone said they found it of riveting interest. More seem interested in telling me that I’m dreadfully ‘mean spirited’ (which might be true!) or that it doesn’t worry them. As I tried to indicate, it seems to me that many, perhaps most, others will only tend to draw a negative conclusion.

I’m certainly not saying people shouldn’t keep lists or publish them somewhere if they like. I just can’t see why it needs to be endlessly repeated. It’s simply not that interesting to anyone else but you and whomsoever you feel you’re in competition with. I find the claim that it’s somehow ‘hypercritical’ to know which birds you’ve seen, but not the actual number bizarre. I don’t have a ‘cash register’ mind, it doesn’t automatically tally up what I’ve seen and if I haven’t bothered to count them then I don’t see why that’s hypocritical.

I’m not going to get distressed if people continue to post these details. It really doesn’t worry me that much. I’m more curious, than peeved,

Yours misanthropically,
John

Last edited:
I completely disagree with John. I think it should be compulsory to post at least national and self-found lists under posts, including latest additions. In that way, at least I know what kind of birder I'm dealing with:
- Dunnock or Meadow Pipit: I'm not talking to you!
- White-tailed Plover: Ah, twitching scum...
- Sykes's Warbler: my god, couldn't you ID that one in the field – and you call yourself a birder?
If you wish to add world totals, add the number of countries visited.
There are people who claim not to have lists, but still know what they have or haven't seen, so they are obviously hypocrites.

Lifelist: 1350 (26 countries); latest addition: Moustached Warbler. Dutch list: 410; latest addition: Red-flanked Bluetail. UK: 153; latest addition: Cetti's Warbler (heard). Patch: not counted; latest addition: Pallid Harrier. Heard-only counted, Category C not counted.

*** Contents of post are meant to be humorous, even if not conceived as such ***

Damn funny, Mr X. Thank you.

As stated in my previous post. I think people are rightly proud of their life lists as it takes a lot of commitment and stamina if not necessarily skill to achieve such totals! and as such they like to compare their lists against other like minded individuals. A kind of benchmark.

If thats what floats your boat eh!

To be more precise, it’s not that folks post such details that bugs me, rather that I can’t see why they should want to do so.....

Why not? Actually I do have a 'cash register' mind. I enjoy data analysis more than birding. You might find that sad, but I find it enjoyable. I am in competition, but certainly not with others. I'm in competition with myself. Does that help explain it? You may need to have my kind of analytical mind to understand fully, but if you still can't understand just accept it. We're all different.

My lists don't prove anything, they're just a bit of fun. They may bug you, but are they any worse than yet another thread asking what everybodys favourite bird is? Are they any worse than somebody posting a poor record shot on Surfbirds of a bird that been photographed to death by others? Why do they do that? Finally, I see that you don't have an avatar, yet most others do. Why? Why do we have to see daft pictures alongside everybody's posting? A lot of those seem to be trying to make a point, but why?

Like I said, if you analyse any part of life it looks daft. Just accept that others are different, and let's get on with life.

Last edited:
I like them (as long as they are updated). I don't twitch but I feel a little bit of happiness for someone when I see a new name on the end of their signature (like today's little bittern viewers).

Perhaps I should add my bvi list to my signature or would that just be depressing? I defo think HE2 should add hers so everyone can berate the incorrect order of sightings thereon on each and every thread.

I agree with Dougie Preston. If you've put a lot of time and energy into listing then why not be proud of your accomplishments. If writing it down on the net makes you feel good then that's OK. If not, then that's also OK. It's like cars in a carpark....often the most lowly worker has the most flash car, whilst the managers drive something really inconspicuous....it all depends what is important to YOU! For myself, I drive a really cheap car....and am so loaded I can't begin to tell you!(Just as well I'm anonymous!)

OK let me first make it absolutely clear at the outset that, within the bounds of good manners, decency and relevance, folks are, and should be, free to post whatever they please to this forum. However, one thing is really beginning to bug me; why on earth does anyone feel the need to add the current status of their life, British, county or patch list and what it was they last ticked to every darn message?

Why do I need to know whether “Mr Spartypants” has a UK list of 410 or not? Each and everytime he posts. Or that his county list is 239? Each and everytime he posts. Or that his patch list is 112? Each and everytime he posts. It’s not even necessarily a good guide to birding competence. Let’s be honest about it, even more so than before, a massive British list reflects no more than a possession of a degree of mania, a pager, a car, sufficient finance and a compliant (or easily fooled) employer. That doesn’t mean people shouldn’t twitch – it’s their choice & good , very good, luck to them. Neither does it necessarily mean they are particularly skilled or knowledgeable birders (though they might be). I’ll admit though that in certain limited & specific contexts it can be relevant. If the debate is about life lists or county lists then fine! So if it’s relevant and in context fine (though note that context is only widely known for the UK, but not for local sites or by and large, individual counties).

Do people add their lists as a matter of one-upmanship? I don’t know, but if they do it largely backfires as far as I’m concerned. First the really big listers here tend not to post details of their list so if you need to boast about it ….. Second I find that there’s something undeniably vulgar about someone crowing about seeing the latest ‘big rarity’ when you know their last bird was something pretty darn common! I always suspect the competence of such forced flowers. (OK I know I’m being awfully provocative and entirely unreasonable here, but it’s a feeling that surfaces however much I try to repress it). Third as I’ve no idea what constitutes a good list for Borcestshire or Little Snoring gravel pits so why bother? On the flip side there can be something admirable in the person who confidently makes a truly incompetent guess about a bird’s ID, but honestly appends a UK list that most keen birders could muster in a decent spring. I admire their chutzpah.

So please tell me, why do you need to do it?

And for the record -
Life List – never counted.
European List – not counted that one either.
British List – have counted, but can’t remember off hand – it’s all those darn splits!
County List – it’s on the KOS website if you really want to know.
Patch list – I worked it out once & it’s in a notebook somewhere.
However, if suffixing list details to every posting was really that useful then I expect you can guess where I’m at!

John

RAVID!!!

I suspect that you enjoy watching Larry David as I do? :t:

RAVID!!!

I suspect that you enjoy watching Larry David as I do? :t:

There's another thing that bugs me. People who quote the whole article, for no particular reason. I can live with it though. Andrew, what point are you making with that avatar? Is there a message there for us? Please explain why it's more sensible than the lists in my signature.

There are a million assuming ways to answer that response but the most level headed one is that I was simply making a direct answer to John.

No wonder, the last year, I have taken to replying to posters by private message. Such is the decline of BF.

Its obvious to me. Life list in left nostril, year list in the right one

There are a million assuming ways to answer that response but the most level headed one is that I was simply making a direct answer to John.

No wonder, the last year, I have taken to replying to posters by private message. Such is the decline of BF.

Dear oh dear, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my response. I'm simply trying to determine why somethings are ok, but others apparently not. I think you'll find I've replied to everything here in a reasoned and disciplined way, and not taken offence to any of the potentially inflamitory comments of others. Others will make what they will of your latest offerings.

Actually, responding to my reply means you understood it well. So that means you know of Larry David. I presume. Therefore to get Larry David's humour, you need to be of the predispostion to think of listing your totals as a bit you know..........

Shot yourself in the foot possibly.........

Its obvious to me. Life list in left nostril, year list in the right one

Undercurrent British eccentricity inside me (and all of us) leads me to agree and exclaim, "Spot on!". B :)

(A few Summer Lightnings encourages such drivel, I must admit!)

OK I'm obviously a minority of one here. I still can't quite see why anyone else should want to know or why anyone should think they would, but I can live with that. As for Andrew's posting I'll admit I found it rather cryptic as my dictionary doesn't have 'ravid' in it and I've not the faintest idea who Larry David is!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back