• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How would you repair these 8x20 Leica Ultravids? (1 Viewer)

tpcollins

I was looking at my 8x20 Ultravids and noticed the front cover looked warped and was loose at the top. I was able to peel it off real easy (looks like it had been glued on with an elastic rubber type adhesive).

I cleaned it off and used some Fletchtite glue use to attach feathers to arrows. This adhesive stays sort of pliable.

After it dried, I was looking thru them adjusting the focus and afterwards the cover popped out again. I realized the gear inside was pushing against it from the inside. So how it got warped I have no clue as it’s never near a heat source.

I called Leica repair and their sending me a replacement cover and to use superglue to put it on but be very careful not to get anything on the gears - no kidding.

I’m not convinced superglue is the best thing to use, if I did I would think a thick gel type might be better, I’m just not sure. I do have some Goop if it hasn’t dried out.

Just wondering what the consensus would be on the best adhesive to glue it on with. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1813.JPG
    DSCN1813.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN1814.JPG
    DSCN1814.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 233
I was looking at my 8x20 Ultravids and noticed the front cover looked warped and was loose at the top. I was able to peel it off real easy (looks like it had been glued on with an elastic rubber type adhesive).

…………...

Well, the same thing happened to my 10x25 some time ago. It's actually the top cover, the front is where the objective lenses are. Anyway, I was also very much surprised about the actual flimsiness of this cover. I think in my case it must have been under some luggage in the trunk. Ordinary binoculars would certainly not "fall apart" by this. But in these pocket models, the design priority is on saving weight and on compactness. Nevertheless, I think Leica overdid it in this particular case of construction.

I had my binoculars repaired by Leica, at some considerable costs, I believe it was over 100 Swiss Francs ( about US$ 100). If you dare repairing it yourself, I also think some elastic type of glue would be better.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to follow their advice. If superglue doesn't solve the problem, send them in...I believe Leica will give them a full service while they're at it. You probably already thought of this, but in case you didn't, very carefully clean the to-be-glued surfaces with q-tips and solvent such as 91% alcohol beforehand.
Good luck and thanks for posting the interesting photo of the 10x25 insides.
~ Foss

TP:
It looks like the cover has been dented in by the Leica emblem, so it is rubbing inside as you
mentioned. I suppose then you need to try to reform the cover to prevent the rubbing.
I would try some low heat as from a hair blow dryer to soften the plastic a bit.

It seems just trying to glue it back will not work without this. A couple glues I like are E6000 or
gorilla glue. Super glue gel may work, but the parts must fit properly first.

Good luck, you may need a new cover, if it is too distorted.

Jerry

Agreed that the dent needs to be removed first.

I would then use 3M VHB adhesive transfer film at all points of contact around the edge of the cover.

--AP

Leica is sending a replacement cover so that's not an issue. A bit lazy on Leica's part maybe. I'm not sure I'd use superglue though. In this case it would either work too well or not at all.

Any other suggestions??

Mark

Leica is sending a replacement cover so that's not an issue. A bit lazy on Leica's part maybe. I'm not sure I'd use superglue though. In this case it would either work too well or not at all.

Any other suggestions??

Mark

Mark:

Are you doing the repair work or where did JR go ?

Jerry

Mark:

Are you doing the repair work or where did JR go ?

Jerry

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Dallas?? You have to footnote that one.

The OP stated that Leica was sending a replacement cover. Glue was the question. I'm not sure superglue is the way to go. Alexis has an interesting suggestion. I have the little Leica myself so I'm curious about the outcome.

Mark

UPS is suppose to deliver my Leica cover today for the 8x20 Ultravids. The mating surfaces for both will be cleaned with 91% alcohol.

I have both an unopened tube of Goop (with a long tube applicator) and some Gorilla gel superglue.

I used Goop to glue the components together for a recent turkey pot call project and it worked perfectly. Think I’m going to go with the Goop first.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

...I have both an unopened tube of Goop (with a long tube applicator) and some Gorilla gel superglue.

I used Goop to glue the components together for a recent turkey pot call project and it worked perfectly. Think I’m going to go with the Goop first...

Goop is a polyurethane cement that works very well for many projects. It has the virtue of remaining slightly soft, so it can theoretically be cut to reverse/remove, but since isn't easy to dissolve, it is hard to remove fully (and the one good solvent, toluene, is not good for other plastics). Goop has a tendency to harden and become brittle over time when exposed to UV light. Goop sticks to many plastics, but not all. I would test how well it adheres to the plastic and paint of your Ultravid before committing to it.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back