• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

RichardB1947 said:
2 ospreys inspecting 2 eggs...

Thats all they have done.

I haven't seen EJ sit on these eggs at all.

Any bird behaviour experts out there, that could come up with explanations considering the events of the last few days.?

kas said:
Thats all they have done.

I haven't seen EJ sit on these eggs at all.

Any bird behaviour experts out there, that could come up with explanations considering the events of the last few days.?
I do not think that what has happened is all that strange. The fact that the resident male i.e Henry has not returned is obviously a big blow. Orange VS does not seem to be a paricularly competant osprey and certain is bit shy when it comes to fighting. The reality is that both male and female ospreys seem to have to fight intruders all the time.

Loch Garten had the legendary Ollie for about ten years until he did not return for the 2002 season. It then took two years of fighting before Henry and EJ established themselves as the resident couple. Even then in 2004 EJ had an early season fling with VS before Henry turned up to see him off.

EJ herself was ousted from a nest in 2003 when she incubating eggs fertilised by VS.

If you want to see ospreys live on the NET the best cam is at the DPOF site.

See:

http://puleston.osprey.bnl.org/OspreyFund/ospreycam.php

The resident pair there did not return and it is a young pair in residence. They certainly fight off intruders quite regularly.

I rember I visited this place when I was in Primary School (long before I was a birdwatcher) increadable place loved watching the live footage from the nest love to visit it again

An Egg on the edge?

Is that an egg at the edge of the nest?? I cannot see any in the nest any longer.

Actually it is amazing that they have lasted so long.

Attachments

• osprey0019.jpg
    osprey0019.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 84
Tiger_mz said:
Is that an egg at the edge of the nest?? I cannot see any in the nest any longer.

Actually it is amazing that they have lasted so long.
its not looking good now. this has happened before when the resident male fails to return and all hell lets loose cos the unattached speyside birds have a go at taking over the nest. might be a year or two before a strong pair can get established and rear young

carol poole said:
its not looking good now. this has happened before when the resident male fails to return and all hell lets loose cos the unattached speyside birds have a go at taking over the nest. might be a year or two before a strong pair can get established and rear young
One can see why Orange VS is not a very successful osprey. He seemed to run at the first sign of trouble. It looks as if both those eggs are gone know. I saw the one at the edge of the nest was clearly broken last night.

Yes 2002 and 2003 were fallow years. Looks like 2005 will be another. It shows how precarious things really are.

carol poole said:
lets just hope a pair can settle and hopefully regular successfull breedind can resume
If you notice it seems as if EJ laid another egg yesterday. So it is turning out to be a bit grim. I have never seen this sort of thing happen before.

The diary appears to have been updated (see date at bottom 22/4/05) but the text is a repeat of the previous entry. Hope RSPB HQ notice soon.

Sandra

Sandra (Taylor) said:
The diary appears to have been updated (see date at bottom 22/4/05) but the text is a repeat of the previous entry. Hope RSPB HQ notice soon.

Sandra
Oh well spotted. It should be one of the most amazing diary entries ever.

Loch Garten diary from 22 April says Orange VS chased off an unringed male and didn't return. EJ has been courted by another male. Looks like Orange VS has disappeared...Odd behaviour as they seemed to be a well established pair. Wonder if the new male (apparently 4 years old) is up to the task!!!!

Sandra (Taylor) said:

Sandra
Diary now updated!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back