• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To Jump Or Not? (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi all, I have been seriously considering jumping ship with all my canon gear and have tried Em1 in store with the 14-40 2.8 and was pleasantly surprised with the EM1. I currently use the 7D with a sigma 500 4.5 prime for birds in BIF. I have read all the comments in this EM1 thread, and the frustrations of BIF. So my question is would It be worth my while to change? my shooting subjects are mainly, birds dragonflies butterflies and fungi. All with the canon as above but also with 650D a 300L is + 100L is + 24-105L And numerous flashes. my main problem is WEIGHT not mine but the gear I have now realised at 67 years young I am beginning to struggle so this is my main problem. also with the arrival of the new Olympus 150 2.8 and hopefully the 300F4 thing can only get better for Olympus users. What advice could olympus user offer me? Would you swap completely or keep a foot in both camps????
Kind regards mike
Ps also in EM1
Thread

I think for the macro part of your photography there is no problem in switching -- but two disclaimers: I actually shoot a pana GH2, and I base this more on reading other peoples input than on my own.

For birds in flight, you might want to keep your canon equipment initially.

Bringing the oly camera and macro lens with you probably will weight you down less than the canon macro lens alone. Therefore, a gradual switch would make sense to me.

Niels

I think for the macro part of your photography there is no problem in switching -- but two disclaimers: I actually shoot a pana GH2, and I base this more on reading other peoples input than on my own.

For birds in flight, you might want to keep your canon equipment initially.

Bringing the oly camera and macro lens with you probably will weight you down less than the canon macro lens alone. Therefore, a gradual switch would make sense to me.

Niels

thanks for the reply, at the moment I am using the 650d and 100mm L lens and 7D with the 300l both with grips, also using the cotton carrier for travelling around? This is a good system + I have a water bottle and a spare battery for each camera? But after 3-4 hrs it is wearing. so my thoughts are for maybe the Em5 and the 60mm macro with the new 300f4 and em1 when the lens arrives. Any guidance advice eagerly accepted IE is the Olympus 60mm F2.8 good??
Kind regards. Mike

I have switched from Canon 7D to EM-1 and have absolutely no regrets, but one big disclaimer:
I'm not bothered about BIF so much and the EM1 is certainly worse off for this.
If you can live without BIF then swap, in my opinion the EM1 is better for every other type of photography I want to do.

I have switched from Canon 7D to EM-1 and have absolutely no regrets, but one big disclaimer:
I'm not bothered about BIF so much and the EM1 is certainly worse off for this.
If you can live without BIF then swap, in my opinion the EM1 is better for every other type of photography I want to do.

Thanks Graeme! this would seem to be the way forward! I think a slow transformation would be diligent.
Kind regards mike

Hi Mike. Like you I found that I was struggling to carry heavy gear but moving to m4/3 has really alleviated the problem. For most of the time I use my E-M1 with the Olympus 75-300 II lens attached. The combination covers most of my requirements, except for landscapes, and is extremely light to carry.

As has been said, Canon definitely has the upper hand when it comes to BIF shooting but aside from that I think the E-M1 can equal just about anything which a Canon can offer. The difference in weight, though, can make the difference between carrying a camera or not.

I attach four recent images. The Wheatear and Red-back Shrike were both taken with the 75-300, admittedly in good light (the small maximum aperture is the lens's only real weakness in my opinion.) The Painted Lady butterfly was also taken with the 75-300 and I find the lens very useful for butterflies as they can be photographed from a sensible distance. The Peacock was taken with the 60mm f/2.8 macro. That lens is excellent but the shorter working distance can be a problem with some subjects.

In answer to your question, if you can afford it, I would keep some of your Canon gear if BIF shots are important to you but for just about everything else I don't think you will feel short-changed with the E-M1.

Ron

Attachments

• Wheatear-in-sun-2-small.jpg
    Wheatear-in-sun-2-small.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 100
  • RB-Shrike-9-small.jpg
    RB-Shrike-9-small.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Painted-Lady-small.jpg
    Painted-Lady-small.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 81
  • Plumbago-and-peacock-small.jpg
    Plumbago-and-peacock-small.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Yes, agree, keep the Canon gear.

I recently bought the Fuji TX-1, and it was a toss-up between the Oly and Fuji, I chose the Fuji because it suited me more than the Oly.

I wanted to carry a lighter camera that had a decent sensor without the bulk of the Nikon gear. The results from this camera are fantastic and I’m using it more and more. As yet there is no large telephoto, the 400mm (600mm) is due out next year, judging by the results from the tele I own the new lens is going to give me another option for bird photography. I think it will require support, but I can then switch with the scope’s mount.

If you can stretch financially to the Oly system then I think it would be a route to explore, you’ll have a wider choice of prime lens available than Fuji. It will be then a choice or whether to then sell the Canon gear or not.

EVF is not the easiest on moving subjects, but not impossible.

As a pana shooter, I would say that if you do move to m4/3, you should consider the pana options in camera as well. After all, the lenses do fit both cameras, even if not everything is quite as seamless as it ought to be.

Niels

Just moved from canon 7D and 1Ds mkii to e-m5 no regrets apart from bif but I do lots of macro and the 60mm f2.8 is great. Images as good as anything I got out of the 7D.Also got the 75-300mm mkii getting good images with that too now I'm getting used to the different systems.

Just moved from canon 7D and 1Ds mkii to e-m5 no regrets apart from bif but I do lots of macro and the 60mm f2.8 is great. Images as good as anything I got out of the 7D.Also got the 75-300mm mkii getting good images with that too now I'm getting used to the different systems.

Thanks for your reply, It's like all camera gear I suppose it's making the change and then starting with different equipment.
Thanks again mike

As a pana shooter, I would say that if you do move to m4/3, you should consider the pana options in camera as well. After all, the lenses do fit both cameras, even if not everything is quite as seamless as it ought to be.

Niels

I will check out the new GH series camera.
Thanks Niels

Yes, agree, keep the Canon gear.

I recently bought the Fuji TX-1, and it was a toss-up between the Oly and Fuji, I chose the Fuji because it suited me more than the Oly.

I wanted to carry a lighter camera that had a decent sensor without the bulk of the Nikon gear. The results from this camera are fantastic and I’m using it more and more. As yet there is no large telephoto, the 400mm (600mm) is due out next year, judging by the results from the tele I own the new lens is going to give me another option for bird photography. I think it will require support, but I can then switch with the scope’s mount.

If you can stretch financially to the Oly system then I think it would be a route to explore, you’ll have a wider choice of prime lens available than Fuji. It will be then a choice or whether to then sell the Canon gear or not.

EVF is not the easiest on moving subjects, but not impossible.

Thanks Perigrin, yes will be good if the telephoto is light to carry although I still have no m4\3 gear I am excited
Regards mike

Hi Mike. Like you I found that I was struggling to carry heavy gear but moving to m4/3 has really alleviated the problem. For most of the time I use my E-M1 with the Olympus 75-300 II lens attached. The combination covers most of my requirements, except for landscapes, and is extremely light to carry.

As has been said, Canon definitely has the upper hand when it comes to BIF shooting but aside from that I think the E-M1 can equal just about anything which a Canon can offer. The difference in weight, though, can make the difference between carrying a camera or not.

I attach four recent images. The Wheatear and Red-back Shrike were both taken with the 75-300, admittedly in good light (the small maximum aperture is the lens's only real weakness in my opinion.) The Painted Lady butterfly was also taken with the 75-300 and I find the lens very useful for butterflies as they can be photographed from a sensible distance. The Peacock was taken with the 60mm f/2.8 macro. That lens is excellent but the shorter working distance can be a problem with some subjects.

In answer to your question, if you can afford it, I would keep some of your Canon gear if BIF shots are important to you but for just about everything else I don't think you will feel short-changed with the E-M1.

Ron
hi and thanks for the reply Ron, I find after 3-4 hrs of walking or standing I'm well kn-------d. Probably like a lot of folk I just get carried away and do not realise how long I have been out maybe I will look at the oly5 and 60mm macro Xmas is coming
Regards mike

I'm looking forward to the 300mm, but my current set up of 60mm (brilliant for macro), 20mm (amazing little lens) and 70-300mm (so light and pretty good - note the lowered excitement!) are making photography a lot, lot more fun these days.
I'm even planning to get a second (cheaper - EPL7 maybe) body so that (a) I have a smal lens available when the camera is on a big lens birding and (b) my wife can use it.
That's how things have changed for me, and purely down to the new system - I'm enjoying photography again (instead of it being a bit of a tiring slug and enjoying the results).

ps
I also own the 14-42(?) PRO lens, but don't use it much due to the 20mm being so lovely. I will pair it with the EM1 body though if the conditions are poor, due to the weather sealing on both.

Last edited:
Hello nice thread. i don't have much to add, just a little advise if you are switching to m4/3 get the lumix 100-300mm lens, it is much much sharper than the Olympus 75-300mm, i used the lumix first and when it stopped i got the Olympus but i think i made the wrong choice.

it is not a bad lens (the Olympus) as a matter of fact for video recording it is much better than the Lumix, but the details you get with lumix is much better.

not good in BIF so can't help at all.

hi and thanks for the reply Ron, I find after 3-4 hrs of walking or standing I'm well kn-------d. Probably like a lot of folk I just get carried away and do not realise how long I have been out maybe I will look at the oly5 and 60mm macro Xmas is coming
Regards mike

as everyone else said the 60mm macro lens is just awesome.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/492462/ppuser/71763

but the Zuiko 75-300 is also great for butterflies.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/499068/ppuser/71763

Great replies folks, just what I need to hear, I do use the canon 100L 2.8 quite a bit not just for 1-1 macro but close up as well, along with the MT24 flash. can I get a similar system for the Olympus?

I very rarely use flash, so I don't know too much about it. However, the OM-D comes bundled with a small, basic flash unit which is not brilliant but does the job. It also works as a wireless trigger for some of the other Olympus flash systems available, including ring flash and adapters for macro lenses. More details on the Olympus site here.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back