• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (3 Viewers)

If you are in Dublin tomorrow it might be worth going out to Howth on the Dart (rail). From the harbour, boat trips (1hr round trip) go out round Ireland's Eye island where you might see puffins. The seabird colony is a great sight. Follow the road out past the pier and it takes you up to a cliff walk with good views of kittiwakes and guillomots.
Paul

Today I had a great trip to the Cliffs. Nice views and weather. So far 43 species. Best for me were 2 choughs, peregrine, gannets, great northern divers, shags, fulmars, kittiwakes. And Guinness beer ;)

Good to see you had a good day and saw the Choughs, a Guiness always rounds off a nice day!B :)

Thanks guys! Today I went to Connemara. Amazing place an weather again. i saw some basic stuff kestrel, chiffchaff etc. that raised my Irish list to 54 :D. Also had a look at the Nimmo's. I did see some sub adult gulls but I think I need your help. I saw three canus type gulls but since I don't have experience of juvenile ringies. Can you help me out which one these are (sorry about bad picture quality)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Another pic here. All other gulls I spotted at Nimmo's pier were black-headed,herring gulls and one lbbg. Also about 10 turnstones and a cormorant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks Dermot! You are probably right on this one. I started a thread also on the bird id forum here about the gulls. I'llpost the rest of the gull photos there tomorrow when I can check them from my pc with better quality. Anyways I had a great trip to Ireland and if you guys are coming to Finland let me know and I'll try to help you out if needed.

Cheers!

-Finbirder

70 Mute Swans at Rahasane was the only thing of note today. 2 Wheatears at Belclare and 2 at Rostaff with a Kestrel nr Cloonboo. I think couples are using the hide at Belclare for something other than watching birds-draw your own conclusions! i wont be back for a while

Last edited:
At Tawin today, 4 Brent Geese, about 30 Whimbrel, 7 RB Merganser, at Kilcaimin there were 15 Shelduck and 4 RB Merganser and 4 Whimbrel, nothing of note at Rahasane

Nothing to do with Galway birding but felt I just had to tell somebody about my great good birding luck on my Wainwright Coast to Coast walk over past two weeks. I saw eight Ring Ouzels in one day (yes eight, 5 male and 3 female) on the high level route from Keld to Reeth on top of Swaledale.

Six days earlier I met a Coast to Coaster in Ennerdale Bridge B&B (he was doing the route from East to West). He was chuffed that he had seen two Ring Ouzels on top of Swaledale, even got a passable photo of one. He told me where to look. The following day I saw my first ever Ring Ouzel, a solitary male near top of Haystacks on high level route through Ennerdale valley. I also saw Goosanders on Ennerdale lake. Two firsts in the one day - not bad - and I wasn't even birding.

I set out from Keld 5 Days later and climbed up on to the high ridge. I met two birders coming down. I asked about Ring Ouzels. They had seen four. This looked promising as it was not long after 9.00 am. They told me exactly where to look. I saw three at their location and five more further on. It must be a real Ring Ouzel hotspot.

All in all a wonderful trip but I was often conflicted between bird watching and the need to finish very long days walking at a reasonable hour - usually by 7.00 pm.

Firsts seen:
Goosanders 5 or 6 mostly Ennerdale Water
Ring Ouzels 9 1 in Lakeland Fells, 8 on top of Swaledale
Black Grouse 2 on top of Pennines near Nine Standards Rigg

Birds heard: Woodpeckers and Cuckoos. Heard many woodpeckers but couldn't hang about long enough to see one.

Other birds: Buzzards (loads), common sandpipers, Canada geese, Greylags, lapwings (loads doing tumbling displays), Kestrels, Wheatears (loads), Red Grouse (hundreds if not over a thousand).

Couldn't believe the numbers of Red Grouse I saw on Westmoreland heaths, Pennines, Yorkshire Dales, Cleveland Hills and North York Moors. Cocks squaring up to each other and fights going on on a regular basis. There were signs along these routes warning walkers to keep dogs on leads and not to walk off track in the heather for fear of disturbing birds during the months of April, May, June and July. I noted the irony that the month of August wasn't mentioned. When the annual slaughter fest begins on the 12th August, this year's fledglings will be slaughtered indiscriminately along with the adults.

About half way down Swaledale I came to Ravenseat Farm, one of the highest working farms in Yorkshire and a place that crops up now and again on BBC outdoors programmes such as Countryside and Spring /Autumn watch. It was full of breeding waders. I could have spent hours there had I not the best part of 10 miles to walk. I saw many tiny waders not much bigger than a robin that looked like miniature Common Sandpipers (white mark around elbow of wing). The nearest match in my pocket bird guide was Temmincks Stint but looking up better books when I got home, I doubt if they were. Any suggestions?

I reported my Ring Ouzel sightings to the Ring Ouzel Study Group. I got a reply from Chris Rollie, Area Manager, RSPB. This is his reply:

Brendan,

Many thanks for your report – although ring ouzels breed in that area, I believe, there is a good chance that so many together at this date are Fennoscandian migrants blown over on the strong easterlies of late. Our UK breeders will all have eggs or even young by now and, though they do feed communally at times, your group sounds like migrants. All best wishes and thanks again for the report, which I’ll pass on to enthusiasts there. Cheers,

Chris

Chris Rollie
Area Manager

Nothing to do with Galway birding but felt I just had to tell somebody about my great good birding luck on my Wainwright Coast to Coast walk over past two weeks. I saw eight Ring Ouzels in one day (yes eight, 5 male and 3 female) on the high level route from Keld to Reeth on top of Swaledale.

Six days earlier I met a Coast to Coaster in Ennerdale Bridge B&B (he was doing the route from East to West). He was chuffed that he had seen two Ring Ouzels on top of Swaledale, even got a passable photo of one. He told me where to look. The following day I saw my first ever Ring Ouzel, a solitary male near top of Haystacks on high level route through Ennerdale valley. I also saw Goosanders on Ennerdale lake. Two firsts in the one day - not bad - and I wasn't even birding.

I set out from Keld 5 Days later and climbed up on to the high ridge. I met two birders coming down. I asked about Ring Ouzels. They had seen four. This looked promising as it was not long after 9.00 am. They told me exactly where to look. I saw three at their location and five more further on. It must be a real Ring Ouzel hotspot.

All in all a wonderful trip but I was often conflicted between bird watching and the need to finish very long days walking at a reasonable hour - usually by 7.00 pm.

Firsts seen:
Goosanders 5 or 6 mostly Ennerdale Water
Ring Ouzels 9 1 in Lakeland Fells, 8 on top of Swaledale
Black Grouse 2 on top of Pennines near Nine Standards Rigg

Birds heard: Woodpeckers and Cuckoos. Heard many woodpeckers but couldn't hang about long enough to see one.

Other birds: Buzzards (loads), common sandpipers, Canada geese, Greylags, lapwings (loads doing tumbling displays), Kestrels, Wheatears (loads), Red Grouse (hundreds if not over a thousand).

Couldn't believe the numbers of Red Grouse I saw on Westmoreland heaths, Pennines, Yorkshire Dales, Cleveland Hills and North York Moors. Cocks squaring up to each other and fights going on on a regular basis. There were signs along these routes warning walkers to keep dogs on leads and not to walk off track in the heather for fear of disturbing birds during the months of April, May, June and July. I noted the irony that the month of August wasn't mentioned. When the annual slaughter fest begins on the 12th August, this year's fledglings will be slaughtered indiscriminately along with the adults.

About half way down Swaledale I came to Ravenseat Farm, one of the highest working farms in Yorkshire and a place that crops up now and again on BBC outdoors programmes such as Countryside and Spring /Autumn watch. It was full of breeding waders. I could have spent hours there had I not the best part of 10 miles to walk. I saw many tiny waders not much bigger than a robin that looked like miniature Common Sandpipers (white mark around elbow of wing). The nearest match in my pocket bird guide was Temmincks Stint but looking up better books when I got home, I doubt if they were. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a good trip, no idea what the waders could have been

Dont know whats going on at Cloosh....place looks like a building site! was hoping to see a crossbill and this used to be a good spot, will try to find out more

Attachments

• cloosh.jpg
    cloosh.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back