• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with multi-lens phone (1 Viewer)

My setup is a Swarovski VPA with a Huawei P30. The latter has separate lenses for 1x and 3x zoom. Using the VPA, the 3x would give me an excellent view of field, but I'm struggling with the way the phone decides which lens to use:

The 3x optical lens will only be used if there is enough light. Otherwise, the 3x setting will result in a digital zoom from the standard 1x lens. If I adjust the VPA for the 3x lens, it seems parts of the VPA are covering the light sensors, thus the camera decides there's not enough light for 3x, switches to the 1x lens, and I get a black screen (as the VPA is covering the 1x lens).

I've attached "huawei-p30-lenses.jpg" to illustrate. The top most lens is the 3x, the very bottom one the 1x lens.

Does anyone have experience digiscoping with multi-lens cameras?

Attachments

• huawei-p30-lenses.jpg
    huawei-p30-lenses.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 60
I have the p10, which has two lens, it works fine for me, but I think that's due to me not zooming, or maybe the design is different. I get an error message about covering up the 2nd lens at some point in the photo taking process, but can ignore that.

I've found that by zooming in to the max. of what digital zoom allows, the Huawei P30 will switch over to the 3x optical zoom lens. So going to max-zoom, then reverting back to 3x gives me exactly what I was looking for, my phone using the "correct" lens.

I am in a similar dilemma now. Planning on upgrading from iPhone 7 to an iPhone 11 pro that has 3 lenses, and am wondering what i need to do for adapters for my Kowa TSN 82sv

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back