• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kauai endemics (1 Viewer)

guy_incognito

Just want to make sure I got these right. Some of the most uncooperative birds I've ever experienced!

1. Anianiau
2. Kauai Amakihi
3. Kauai Elepaio

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6411.JPG
    IMG_6411.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6452.JPG
    IMG_6452.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 87
1 and 3 look pretty good. I'm not positive on 2, that could be another Anianiau, the Amakihi should have a bit longer bill, and dark lores.

1 and 3 look pretty good. I'm not positive on 2, that could be another Anianiau, the Amakihi should have a bit longer bill, and dark lores.

I agree on all counts including not being quite sure about #2.

Hawaii forest birding is indeed tricky, since the birds tend to be high up. It also takes time to learn all the 'apapane's calls so you can ignore them! ;) This is, of course, a good problem to have.

Thanks all for the input. I thought the lores on #2 were darkish; more than I thought for Anianiau, but not sure about Amakihi.

Would views of the vent and undertail coverts help, because that is all I got of the bird in other pics.

I'd expect 2 is 'anianiau. On my island at least, a bright yellow male 'amakihi should also have dark black lores and a dark bill that really offset the bright yellow breeding plumage. I have no experience with 'anianiau, but that bird pretty much matches the offerings on google images.

Last edited:
I'm willing to accept #2 as an Anianiau.

Went back today and got pics of a definite Kauai Amakihi, more Anianiau, and best of all, an Iiwi!

Yeah, it was by far the highlight of the day. It was probably about 25-30 yards away and I managed about 3 marginal pictures rapid fire before it flew after sitting for only about 3 seconds. Pure luck, but I'll take it.

Attachments

• IMG_7036.JPG
    IMG_7036.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back