• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redesign? (1 Viewer)

Also, do most folks utilize a bino harness when using the HD 10x42s?

Hi!
Actually....I practically ALWAYS use a binocular harness REGARDLESS of binocular. If it's a binocular I actually USE....It has a harness or QD harness attachment for a harness.

I'm selling my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42s and I am trying to determine if I'd prefer the Meoptas or save up and purchase the SLCs.

Hmmmm. I don't know about that. I recently purchased a 10x42 Conquest HD for a good price.... Really not sure if either of the two you mentioned would be much of a move "up." The Conquest HD quite honestly is a pretty slick binocular.

Is Meopta going to redesign the Meostars in the near future? This current design seems to be several years old.

I've heard there is a replacement in development, but I understand it's a drawn out process and no one would commit themselves to even which year it might arrive.

The Meostar is only 1.5oz heavier than the new Leica Noctivid, which I personally vote for as top dog at the moment. It's more than twice the price of the Meopta of course. I find 29oz is about my limit for a neck strap, so maybe a harness is the way to go.

I'm not sure we could advise you as to which model would suite you best. The Conquest HD can be bettered, but many here find it delivers all they need in terms of performance. What characteristics are you looking to improve?

The most obvious difference in view characteristics between the Meostar HD and the SLC is the colour balance. Although I see sample variation in both models, I find the Swarovski is often slightly on the blue side of neutral and the Meostar the red side. Both have advantages and disadvantages. In terms of perceived sharpness, I'd say the last Meostar 10x42 HD I tried was a close match for the SLC, but the Meostar 12x50 HD I recently reviewed I thought was better than both IMO. That was from a September production run I understand.

Good luck,

David

I think it's odd that Meopta makes such a wider selection of HD for Cabelas. I had a pair of the 10x42, picked them up new for $900, and for that I think was a best buy. They had very good performance, on par with my SLC Hd. I liked how they felt in my hand. But the overall aesthetics leaves a lot to be desired. My pair handled CA very well, better than most I've tried. Now with retail around $1,200 there's more competition.

I bought the 8x32 Cabelas hd version for my wife and it's a very nice bino too. It's a little small for my hands and they eyecups are small for my face. I picked these up on a Cabelas sale of about 25% of retail. Tough to beat its price and performance point.

I think Meopta is very capable and underrated. I think they could tweak the Meostar and get a bigger following:
1. Magnesium frame to lighten things up, trim the armor too
2. Adjust looks for a less military look
3. Try to improve on the 10x42 FOV to distinguish itself from competition (350+)

Don't lose the good performance and value (CA control, feel, balance, standard threaded tripod adapter) to name a few.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back