• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Digiscoping with a Panasonic G1 and Pentax spotting scopes

I have in the past been frustrated in finding a digiscope setup for my otherwise superb Pentax scopes. The problem has been in part the lack of a solid adapter like those for Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, etc. The Panasonic G1 seems to be a large part of the solution for me.

My experiments involved Pentax PF -80ED-A and PF-65ED-A scopes with both the 20-60mm Pentax SMC eyepiece (8-24mm) and the Pentax SMC XW14 wide-angle eyepiece.

1) The G1 using the 14-45 kit lens works well with the SMC XW14 eyepiece. From the 18-50mm range, there is no vignetting. Zoom more than that, and vignetting becomes a problem. You need to remove any filters you may have on the G1. When I first tried it, I had a UV filter on the G1. This caused the camera to be too far from the eyepiece and caused major vignetting problems. When I removed the filter, the G1 lens can rest right up against the rubber guard on the eyepiece, and vignetting problems are eliminated for about 1/2 the zoom range.

2) The G1 does NOT work well with 20-60X eyepiece. The vignetting is terrible at all focal lengths.

3) The G1 works with the SMC XW14 eyepiece because the latter has a huge diameter, approximately the same size as the G1 lens. The G1 would probably NOT work on scopes with much smaller diameter eyepieces, e.g. Nikon Fieldscopes.

4) The choice between the two models of Pentax scopes is a matter of personal preference. The 80ED lets in more light, but also significantly increases the magnification making "camera shake" much more of a problem to deal with. The 65ED lets in slightly less light, but has so much to commend it in lower price, much smaller size, and less motion to stabilize. NOTE that the 65ED comes standard with smaller diameter and lower quality XF eyepieces, which I am confident will NOT work with the G1. The XW series of eyepieces are options and are the ones you want.

5) Attaching the G1 to the telescope. The quality of any digiscoped photos is a direct function of (a) how closely aligned and square you can get the camera to the scope eyepiece, and (b) how well you are able to eliminate camera movement. Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica have great adaptors to quickly mount and unmount a digiscoping camera to the scope. Pentax only recently released a swing-arm adapter that seems too flimsy for a camera as heavy as the G1. For testing, I simply hand-held the camera to the eyepiece. This worked far better than expected, because the rubber eyepiece rim fits nicely up against the black border around the G1 lens. A fear I usually have that the eyepiece will scratch the camera lens is dealt with beautifully -- it is nearly impossible if you are careful. I even left the lens hood on. Because I was pressing the lens up against the eyepiece rubber guard, it was easy to establish the correct distance from the scope and square the camera to the scope.

MOTION - hand-holding the camera against the eyepiece imposes undesirable motion on the whole setup, and remember in digiscoping all motion is vastly magnified compared to what the camera's IS can deal with. In an ideal world, the camera would be held there by a hands-free adapter and the shutter triggered by a remote release to minimize motion, but my world is less than ideal. (Note: in answer to a previous comment, the G1 does have a remote shutter release jack and the wired release is about $25.) My "solution" was to set the shutter on rapid fire and shoot off a burst of photos. Any motion caused by my pressing the shutter would have ended before the 2d or 3rd shot. You shoot a LOT of shots, but I find one has to do that always in digiscoping since the keeper percentage is always going to be low.

I left the camera on autofocus. I would focus on the subject in the scope with the scope focusing, then hold the G1 up to the lens and let AF work. I found it nearly impossible to use manual focus in this setup.

Here are a few samples.

a cormorant at 250+ yards (near the far shore in the center on the rock-like object): at 28mm and
digiscoped with Pentax PF-80ED-A scope :

Some Willets at 28mm and
one of those Willets digiscoped with the Pentax PF-65-A scope:

Finally, a Spotted Sandpiper that seemed to want its picture taken:

The digiscoped photos were taken in RAW at full 12MP resolution. I then cropped them down so I was only using 40-50% of the photo (the willet as cropped was 2514x1885, the sandpiper 2167x1525). Remember that you are not going to get the same resolution from this setup as your normal shot, so you want to minimize cropping and try to fill the frame as much as possible at the time you take the shot.

The digiscoped shots needed a lot of post-processing. Out of the camera, they seemed low contrast and somewhat soft. The Pentax scopes are very sharp and high contrast; it may just be that the light is passing through a lot of layers of glass by the time it reaches the sensor.

I did my PP in Lightroom 2.3. I adjusted the black point, increased the "clarity" substantially, and cranked the sharpening up as much as it would go. The results were very encouraging IMO -- much better contrast and minimal artifacts. I then downsized the photos to 800x600 pixels for posting to the web.

I look forward to any suggestions and experiences others have.

Jim,
I can't open the links either. Can you attach the photos rather than the links.
The Pentax eyepieces have a screw thread. Why not screw the lens with step up adapter onto it? Neil.

Very nice pictures; but for the price the G1 would be the digiscoping camera of choice now I think. With new inproved versions on the horizon perhaps there will be some price drops.

The beauty of the Pentax scope is you have an endless supply of eyepieces to choose from. I got hold of a friends Pentax PF80EDa for a day last summer to experiment with and found that for digiscoping my Baader Hyperion eyepiece produced better results than the Pentax XW eyepiece. Your shots show similar issues with the XW that we had. I'd do like Neil said and screw the G1 lens directly onto the thread of the XW eyepiece. The Baader Hyperion's are threaded also.

Paul.

Thanks for the tip on the Baader Hyperion eyepiece. As for attaching the camera by screwing it to the eyepiece using a step-up adapter, no doubt this would give a much better attachment. The trade-off is that this approach (1) makes switching from normal scoping to digiscoping much slower, (2) increases wear and tear on the eyepiece screw threads, and (3) would seem to increase the risk of scratching either the eyepiece or the camera lens, though this increased risk may be small. To date, my priority has been on speed of switching and minimal risk of scratching anything.

As for price, I got my G1 w/ 14-45mm lens from a reputable camera dealer Canada (on eBay) for $550. The official price for new version with video, the GH1, hasn't been set yet, but word on the street is that it probably will be significantly higher. That is one drawback of the G1 compared to other digiscoping cameras - the lack of video capability.

Jim, guess if the video portion is important then it is a need,, have owned many P&S cameras that had the video option on board and interestingly have never used it or even attempted to,, certainly never been a buy or no buy maker for me,,

going to revisit that option and see if any interest are generated and what the quality of the video really is,, I shoot a lot of grandkids sport events with my main camera and a touch of video could be a worthy item for some of the families to have of their kids,,

thanks

Derry

Kowa 883+ x20-60 zoom + G1

I was able to try the G1 up against my 883 and zoom today. The vignetting was so bad I have decided against buying one.

Dave

A cloudy day and strong winds required me to use iso 800 for these images. All run through Noiseware. Neil.

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Kowa 25x LER eyepiece

Hong Kong,
China
March 2009

Attachments

• red-billed starling flower iso800 G1nware_1210018.jpg
    red-billed starling flower iso800 G1nware_1210018.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 697
  • japanese white-eye flower iso800 G1 nware_1210031.jpg
    japanese white-eye flower iso800 G1 nware_1210031.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 664
  • crested myna flower iso800 G1nware P1210195.jpg
    crested myna flower iso800 G1nware P1210195.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 597
Nice soft, late afternoon light back at the flowering trees yesterday enabled the use of iso 200 and 400 . More detail obvious without the wind. Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
March 2009

Attachments

• chinese bulbul flowers G1_1220002.jpg
    chinese bulbul flowers G1_1220002.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 387
  • rwbulbul flowers G1_1220042.jpg
    rwbulbul flowers G1_1220042.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 754
  • crested myna flowers G1_1220031.jpg
    crested myna flowers G1_1220031.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 445
The middle pic would make for a very nice print to frame. Excellent composition and color. Nice work!

cheers,
Rick

Excellent pics as usual Neil, this camera certainly looks the real deal for digiscoping & well worth the outlay as there seems to be an appreciable step up in quality here rather than the usual incrementle (?) improvement. Keep up the good work

Excellent pics as usual Neil, this camera certainly looks the real deal for digiscoping & well worth the outlay as there seems to be an appreciable step up in quality here rather than the usual incrementle (?) improvement. Keep up the good work

Rob,
For most people it still might be too early to buy into the Micro Four Thirds technology because the kit lens only works well (unvignetted) with fixed eyepieces with good eye relief ( 20 mm or more and wide FOV ). For zoom eyepieces it would perform better with a fixed lens, like the 25/2.8 Pancake. The problem with this lens is that it is not internally focusing which means you have to find another way of setting it up on the scope to get Auto Focus. I have a balance bar to do this but using the Swarovski DCA approach is so easy.
Once Olympus and Panasonic come out with my lens choices then this camera should really takeoff.
I should also mention it's a very good walking around camera in it's own right with good macro.
Neil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157613397600969/

Rob,
For most people it still might be too early to buy into the Micro Four Thirds technology because the kit lens only works well (unvignetted) with fixed eyepieces with good eye relief ( 20 mm or more and wide FOV ).

Neil,

Indeed, the middle photo is unusually fine even by your high standards. I don't have an Asian bird guide, so must ask: what bird is this?

I'm tempted to wait for the HG1, if only because I so like its multi-aspect-ratio feature which was pioneered on the LX3. But for digiscoping the G1 might be the best overall value even after that new model gets in the stores.

p.s. Can you recommend the best Asian bird guide?

Neil,

Indeed, the middle photo is unusually fine even by your high standards. I don't have an Asian bird guide, so must ask: what bird is this?

I'm tempted to wait for the HG1, if only because I so like its multi-aspect-ratio feature which was pioneered on the LX3. But for digiscoping the G1 might be the best overall value even after that new model gets in the stores.

p.s. Can you recommend the best Asian bird guide?

My last three photos were Chinese Bulbul, Red-whiskered Bulbul and Crested Myna.
My main guide is THE BIRDS OF HONG KONG AND SOUTH CHINA - Viney,Phillipps,Lam for Hong Kong but for SE Asia
A PHOTOGRAPHIC GUIDE TO THE BIRDS OF SOUTHEAST ASIA, including the Philippines and Borneo by Morten Strange.
The lens that comes standard with the GH1 wont be suitable for digiscoping so you would have to get the 14 - 45 zoom for the G1 or a prime when they are available.
Neil

Birds of East Asia: China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and Russia by Mark Brazil was just released too.

cheers,
Rick

Another interesting mirrorless/interchangeable lens camera coming out this year will be the Samsung NX which is similar to the G1 but with a bigger APS-C sensor. Looks like it will have a movie mode also. Samsung say they want to be the market leader in these new hybrid type cameras. The next few years should be interesting for the digiscoper.

Paul.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back