• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troubador's Review of Bushnell Legend M 8x42 and Trophy 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Bushnell Legend 8X42

This is my real surprise for a low cost bino, for some it may be a bit on the large and heavy side but the wide view, great contrast and color with good edge sharpness is very impressive, the eye cups have three settings, (inclusive of closed for eyeglasses) the focus wheel is firm with a bit of backlash, but for the price meh, not a problem. The diopter requires some finger strength to pull up but the focus travel is firm not loose, push back down with a solid click and it is set.
These are very bright also and handle glare well, and the sweet spot is large. So much more but just getting the handle on these and really enjoying them.

The eyecups and objective covers could be better, but then for < $160.00 you cannot go wrong.
I want to thank Barry on this one, I am eating some crowe, he recommended these and I was apprehensive, took a chance and now have a nice glass at a great value.

AndyW.

Last edited:
No crow to eat, but glad you like them, Andy. It seemed a no-brainer for me, with recommendations coming from far more knowlegeable and experienced users on the forum who first told us about them. If you add that and the excellent seller on Ebay who is providing the good deal, it didn't seem there was a lot to lose by ordering a pair.

Enjoy!

I bought a pair of Legend M 10x42, arrived yesterday, from an English seller. Paid a lot more than the US discounted prices. But I am stunned by how much the 'mid-range' (i.e. sub 350-euro) binos now perform. Compared them to my beloved Swaro WGA 10x40, and they are a tad darker in evening light, but handle glare better. Comfy in my hands, love the diopter, massive 'sweet spot' and wide FOV for a 10x. Strongly recommended.

I bought a pair of Legend M 10x42, arrived yesterday, from an English seller. Paid a lot more than the US discounted prices. But I am stunned by how much the 'mid-range' (i.e. sub 350-euro) binos now perform. Compared them to my beloved Swaro WGA 10x40, and they are a tad darker in evening light, but handle glare better. Comfy in my hands, love the diopter, massive 'sweet spot' and wide FOV for a 10x. Strongly recommended.

Sancho

You need to stop kissing the Blarney Stone, gushing like this can lead you to down strange paths, like posting on Ruffled Feathers and other impulsive activities :-O

Legend Ms are nice though, I agree.

Lee

:-O D'you know, I have never even seen the Blarney Stone! I'm sure I'll find something I don't like in these Bushnells before long, though...it's an illness!

Last edited:
FWIW
December 2nd:
Rogers is still selling the Legend-M 8x42 for $160. They stated: on November 9th: 83 sold, "Limited quantity available"...today, December 2nd: 157 sold, "Limited quantity available"! OpticsPlanet: risen back to $340 but minus today's coupon code discount $306. At Adorama: $299. At B&H: still out of stock. What is happening!
January 8th:
Rogers
: $160, now 200+ sold, "Limited quantity available"
OpticsPlanet
: $189 ($210 minus coupon code discount)
Adorama
: $379
B&H
: $269.

Last edited:
Optics lover and long time lurker here. Just joined the forum to say thanks for the heads up on the Legend M deal. Ordered a pair yesterday and amazingly they were on my door step tonight!

Bushnell doesn't often garner the attention that most upper tier optics get, but these Legend M's are suprisingly good optics even at the full retail price. At the discounted price they are an absolute steal.

Look forward to taking them out this weekend for a further shake down. Thanks again!

I do enjoy them, and after deciding to keep them I took off the stickers, made the glass look like a NASCAR.

A.W.

I agree with your earlier overall assessment of them. Aside from the focus wheel being a bit firm (likely due to thick grease), the case being rather sparse, and the objective cover tethers being a bit too loose, the overall build of the binocular and glass are quite impressive.

Welcome & Congrats!

Optics lover and long time lurker here. Just joined the forum to say thanks for the heads up on the Legend M deal. Ordered a pair yesterday and amazingly they were on my door step tonight!

Bushnell doesn't often garner the attention that most upper tier optics get, but these Legend M's are suprisingly good optics even at the full retail price. At the discounted price they are an absolute steal.

Look forward to taking them out this weekend for a further shake down. Thanks again!

Weclome to the other side of the forum, Xlr8n! ; ) Glad to hear you were able to take advantage of the great sale on the Bush's! Yep, Roger's doesn't fool around with shipping-they get them out there "in a Jiffy Pete"!

I've come full circle now-the first bins I ever bought were Bushnell Sportview 8x30's in the late 60's, and now when I see that big B (but now without the crosshairs symbol) again when I use them, it brings some nostalgia with it for me! The Legend M's are so much finer than my Sportviews, but back then I was very happy with them, and even better, I bought them with my own money too.

So, stick around and have some fun here too. Then go out and see the world!

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here.

It looks like the deal on these glasses could be even better! Bushnell is running a 30% rebate in the form of a pre-paid Visa card on all bino's purchased from March 1 thru March 30th 2018.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/media/downloadabledocuments/bushnell-mir-march-2018.pdf

At the $152.99 price from Roger's on ebay, you'll get a Visa card back for $45.90! Wow.

Here's the rebate as mentioned on Roger's website: https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/bushnell-8x-42mm-legend-m-series-binoculars.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here.

It looks like the deal on these glasses could be even better! Bushnell is running a 30% rebate in the form of a pre-paid Visa card on all bino's purchased from March 1 thru March 30th 2018.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/media/downloadabledocuments/bushnell-mir-march-2018.pdf

At the $152.99 price from Roger's on ebay, you'll get a Visa card back for $45.90! Wow.

Here's the rebate as mentioned on Roger's website: https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/bushnell-8x-42mm-legend-m-series-binoculars.html

That's it, sneak in here and scoop us old timers at our own game! You bum! ; ) Just kidding-congrats on your very good fortune with that extra bonus rebate!!! We're just jealous, that's all!

I too purchased some Legend M 8x42's from Rogers recently. I must say I'm equally impressed as anyone in this thread. I've looked through enough junky Bushnell binoculars in my life to not have much love towards the brand, but I couldn't pass up getting a pair of bins everyone was raving about for under $100 after rebate and eBay coupons. The moment of truth came when I got my Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42's back from servicing (actually, I think they sent me a brand new pair). They've been my go-to bin for years and I've never had any complaints, but the Bushnell's are a tiny bit sharper, a tiny bit brighter, and have a noticeably wider FOV.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back