• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chris's 52nd year list ! (1 Viewer)

I meant to ask ( and I'm being serious, for once ). How do Amish handle binoculars? Telescopes have been around for some considerable time but bins are relatively recent.

Chris

The Amish father and son each have binoculars (I think they are Bushnell's). They both handle them quite well. They both have exceptional observational skills, in spotting birds with their naked eyes, hearing the bird songs quite well and identifying them fairly decently also.

14 April, Gilroy N.P., Wirral

254 Sedge Warbler

Meols, Wirral

255 Yellow Wagtail ( 2 cracking bright yellow birds seen from the train! )

Woolston Eyes, Warrington, West Cheshire

256 Black-necked Grebe ( probably the largest breeding colony in UK, 12 birds noted. I know, it's pitiful compared to those in N. America but ........)
257 Garden Warbler

Chris

16 April, Cubbins Green, West Kirby, Wirral

258 Lesser Whitethroat

17 April, Red Rocks, Wirral

259 Sandwich Tern
260 Common Tern

Chris

18 April, Moore Nature Reserve, Warrington, West Cheshire

261 Common Redstart ( I had another one today along the Wirral Way. Both pristine males )

Chris

23 April, Champagne - Ardennes, NE France

263 Garganey
264 White Stork
265 Common Quail ( heard )
266 Montagu's Harrier
267 Eur. Hobby
268 Corn Crake ( heard )
269 Spotted Crake ( heard )
270 Little Ringed Plover
271 Black Tern
272 Eur. Hoopoe
273 Tawny Pipit
274 Tree Pipit
275 Rufous Nightingale
276 Bluethroat
277 Savi's Warbler
278 Marsh Warbler
279 Common Reed Warbler
280 Great Reed Warbler
281 Icterine Warbler ( They seem to be getting scarcer here, year on year ).
282 Melodious Warbler ( The opposite of Icky's. By far the commoner of the two nowadays ).
283 W. Bonelli's Warbler
284 Wood Warbler
285 Collared Flycatcher ( No Pieds!).
286 Willow Tit
287 Golden Oriole ( A cracking male flying across a dark forest background. Stunning ).
288 Eur. Serin

Back in France because Annette wanted to vote 'from home' instead of going to the embassy in London this time. Sarkozy getting stuffed and a shed load of good birds. Brilliant.

Chris

26 April, Gilroy N.P., Wirral

289 Common Swift

( Just heard about 2 White Stork, on Tuesday. They were only a mile or so from my house and would have been my first in Wirral + Cheshire. Bitter? Me? Never ;) )

Chris

04 May, Burton Mere Wetlands, W. Cheshire

290 Garganey
291 Black-winged Pratincole ( my first for Wirral and Cheshire. )

Plus Great Egret :t:. The Pratincole turned up last night but I gambled on it still being present today ( and it was ........ for a couple of minutes. Then it vanished again ). The Garganey was dismissed as 'merely a Teal', it was a long way away, until it stretched up out of the water and flapped it's wings.

Chris

05 May, Donkey Stand Flash, Parkgate, W. Cheshire

292 Temminck's Stint

Yet another cracking bird grabbed on my Old Farts Bus Pass :t: B :)

Chris

15 May, New York ( Central Park, Jamaica Bay )

294 Am. Black Duck
295 Green-winged Teal
296 Blue-winged Teal
297 Wood Duck
298 Redhead
299 Ring-necked Duck
300 Pied-billed Grebe
301 Chimney Swift
302 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
303 King Rail ( heard only )
304 Sora Rail
305 Common Gallinule ( Still sounds yeuchy but I suppose we've got to live with it )
306 Am. Coot
307 Double-crested Cormorant
308 Least Bittern
309 Green / Little Heron
310 Little Blue Heron
311 Snowy Egret
312 Great Blue Heron
313 Piping Plover ( Bit of a shock to pick this one up at Jamaica Bay. Cracking bird. )
314 Killdeer Plover
315 Willet
316 Greater Yellowlegs
317 Spotted Sandpiper
( There were other waders around - but I had been threatened with "removal of priviliges" if I took my 'scope :eek!:.)
318 Laughing Gull
319 Am. Herring Gull
320 Ring-billed Gull
321 Turkey Vulture (Is their range moving north?)
322 Sharp-shinned Hawk
323 Red-tailed Hawk
324 Northern Flicker
325 Downy Woodpecker
326 American Kestrel
[ Monk Parakeet. I don't know if it's on the NY list as an introduction - or just not 'countable' so I'll leave it out of the total ( for now ) ]
327 Eastern Kingbird
328 Eastern Wood Pewee
329 Least Flycatcher
330 Alder Flycatcher
331 Solitary Vireo
332 Red-eyed Vireo
333 American Crow
334 Fish Crow
335 Tufted Titmouse
336 Black-capped Chickadee
337 Tree Swallow
338 Purple Martin
339 Red-breasted Nuthatch
340 House Wren
341 Marsh Wren
342 Northern Mockingbird
343 Veery
344 Swainson's Thrush
345 American Robin
346 American Goldfinch
347 Purple Finch
348 House Finch
349 Tennessee Warbler
350 Northern Parula
351 Black + White Warbler
352 Black-throated Blue Warbler
353 Yellow-rumped Warbler ( s.s. )
354 Yellow Warbler
355 Common Yellowthroat
356 American Redstart
357 Red-winged Blackbird
358 Rusty Blackbird
359 Common Grackle
360 Brown-headed Cowbird
361 Baltimore Oriole
362 Savannah Sparrow
363 Song Sparrow
364 White-throated Sparrow
365 Red-breasted Grosbeak
366 Northern Cardinal.

Another 73 for the year. Not too shabby considering I only had one day spare - and only my bins :smoke:.

Chris

Last edited:
I wonder who it was that was going to "remove your privileges"! ;)

Jamaica Bay is a great place to bird!

" She who MUST be obeyed" - if I want to keep my privileges ( and various body parts as well ) :eek!:. It's a pity that it's such a drag to get to Jamaica Bay from central Manhatten on the A line. Do they really need all those stops ( when I'm going birding )?

Chris

" She who MUST be obeyed" - if I want to keep my privileges ( and various body parts as well ) :eek!:. It's a pity that it's such a drag to get to Jamaica Bay from central Manhatten on the A line. Do they really need all those stops ( when I'm going birding )?

Chris

We have a son who lives in Brooklyn and he has an automobile! So, when I go back east for a visit, I have a ride available with someone who knows how to get to some of the birdy venues in the New York area. One can not hardly beat those circumstances! Got to love it!

We have a son who lives in Brooklyn and he has an automobile! So, when I go back east for a visit, I have a ride available with someone who knows how to get to some of the birdy venues in the New York area. One can not hardly beat those circumstances! Got to love it!

That's just being cruel Larry :-O :-O :-O. I must admit birding, and general wildlife watching, in big cities is always a great surprise and often turns up some really stunning stuff. Having said that, I'm much happier being out somewhere a touch wilder.

Chris

14 June, Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada

368 American Mourning Dove
369 Common Nighthawk
370 Black Swift
371 Vaux's Swift
372 Anna's Hummingbird
373 Calliope Hummingbird
374 Western Kingbird
375 Hammond's Flycatcher
376 Warbling Vireo
377 Hudsonian Magpie
378 Northern Rough-winged Swallow
379 Cliff Swallow
380 Grey Catbird
381 Magnolia Warbler
382 Black-throated Gray Warbler
383 American Redstart
384 Bullock's Oriole
385 Spotted Towhee
386 Chipping Sparrow
387 Dark-eyed Junco
388 White-crowned Sparrow
389 Black-headed Grosbeak

Most were seen in, and around, my daughter's house ( just on the edge of Grouse Mountain ). Off to do some 'proper birding' later with my grand-daughter :t:

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back