• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler North Florida? (1 Viewer)

NAB

I'm a UK birder with a fascination for American Warblers and I've copied these pics from another site, where I've been trying to help the photographer ID it. Closest I can suggest is a female or first winter Nashville Warbler; however location and timing appears doubtful?

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

I believe it was around July 15th or 16th. Pic is taken through a window in poor light and rain.

Northern Parula also has a yellow throat at all ages. I'm also leaning towards an out-of-place Nashville Warbler.

Wouldn't Nashville always show an eye-ring and not like the OP bird eye-arcs? If considering out-of-place warblers seems an option I wonder if it could be an Orange-crowned Warbler?

I think Nashville always shows a clear eyering. I don't see why this isn't a parula. It's got eyearcs, it's got a green patch in the middle of its blue back, and it's got a long beak with a yellowy lower mandible.

This is a puzzler. One thing that strikes me in all the photos the feet are quite yellow in contrast to dark legs. I believe MacGuillivray's or any closely related species should have uniformly pale legs and feet. And longer undertail coverts than this bird seems to have. There are not very many American warblers with dark throats, but none of them seem to fit this bird very well.

This is clearly a Northern Parula. The problem with the wingbars is that, because of molt, the bird’s missing most, though not all, of the feathers of the median & greater secondary coverts, the feathers whose white tips constitute the wing bars. You can pretty clearly see two pinfeathers coming in at the base of where the greater secondary coverts would be, in the third picture. And you can see one feather left in the greater sec. coverts that has a white tip. It looks to me like the bird does indeed have a not-very extensive dull yellowish throat, at least right at the center. And a MacGillivray’s should have pink legs, and no white-tipped feathers on the wings.

Last edited:
N. Parulas have a very narrow area of the throat that's yellow, such that if you only get a look in profile, there's not much of the yellow visible. Here are a few links to photos that illustrate what I mean:

http://www.jmu.edu/arboretum/images/birds-NEW/northern-parula-by-m-faintich.jpg

http://www.catharus.com/Image_Library/Birds/Northern-Parula/Northern-Parula-0.jpg

The bird in question in the 3 pictures above appears much duller & less contrasty than either of these two, making the yellow(ish) still harder to see.

Last edited:
This is clearly a Northern Parula. The problem with the wingbars is that, because of molt, the bird’s missing most, though not all, of the feathers of the median & greater secondary coverts, the feathers whose white tips constitute the wing bars. You can pretty clearly see two pinfeathers coming in at the base of where the greater secondary coverts would be, in the third picture. And you can see one feather left in the greater sec. coverts that has a white tip. It looks to me like the bird does indeed have a not-very extensive dull yellowish throat, at least right at the center. And a MacGillivray’s should have pink legs, and no white-tipped feathers on the wings.

Amen

I'm in the Parula camp now too and get the feather molt explanation for the lack of wing bars.

Thanks for the opinions and help.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back