• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Earthcreeper(?) Chile (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all,
At the time I thought this was an earthcreeper (either Scale-Throated or Patagonian Forest), but if anything the bill looks a bit too long? At La Silla observatory in the mountains on the Coquimbo/Atacama border

Attachments

• P1010488 (2).jpg
    P1010488 (2).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 66
In which case, which one ;) ? Scale-Throated or Patagonian Forest? I guess I'm possibly too far north for Patagonian Forest?

The bird was very skulky and mostly hid in rock crevices, which I think is behaviour better for earthcreeper? The only miner I have seen before was the rufous-banded, and they were very confiding, and I'm assuming behaviour is similar?

Entering the list into eBird, both slender-billed miner and Patagonian Forest Earthcreeper would be write-in species for the province & time of year. So I'm leaning quite heavily towards Scale-Throated Earthcreeper :) Paleness could be an artefact of the lighting, which was poor

Entering the list into eBird, both slender-billed miner and Patagonian Forest Earthcreeper would be write-in species for the province & time of year. So I'm leaning quite heavily towards Scale-Throated Earthcreeper :) Paleness could be an artefact of the lighting, which was poor

I've not seen either species of earthcreeper, but from the descriptions and images on neotropical birds I'd say scale-throated. Patagonian forest apparently is in at least somewhat shrubby/forested habitat and is darker. I don't think I'd think "miner" if I saw this in the field.

For the location it is certainly Scale-throated, and I don't see anything in the picture to disagree with that species. It is mildly out of range and well out of habitat for Patagonian Forest EC. It is well out of range for Slender-billed Miner, and while one blurry photo can be misleading, I'd have a hard time seeing Slender-billed Miner in that photo.

For the location it is certainly Scale-throated, and I don't see anything in the picture to disagree with that species. It is mildly out of range and well out of habitat for Patagonian Forest EC. It is well out of range for Slender-billed Miner, and while one blurry photo can be misleading, I'd have a hard time seeing Slender-billed Miner in that photo.

I suggested it purely on the length and apparent fineness of the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back