• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herons Guanacaste, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

LazDivaz

A very basic question: please identify these two herons. Having a little slide show of the birds of our local swamp, and I'm telling a bunch of kindergarten kids that left is a bare-throated tiger heron and the right, a tri-colored heron. Please don't let me lie to these kids!
Thanks!

Attachments

• heron1.jpg
    heron1.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 145
  • heron2.jpg
    heron2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 142
Laz
If you need any more photos for the presentation, feel free to use the ones on my website. They are from northern Central America and mainly El Salvador, but the birds of El Salvador are actually very similar to the birds of Guanacaste. I hope some of them are useful.

Tom

Thanks, Tom

Hola, Tom,
Actually, we did the presentation today, and it went well with about 16 species that I feel confident that I identified correctly. The kids are in an afterschool program, and we are trying to get them to help us to save a tiny wetland in our village that is at risk of being developed for an urbanization project. So I needed to use photos from our actual sanctuary, as you can't fool the kids, and they want to be sure that they'll see what I show them when we go on a site visit next week. So I now have 15 new bird enthusiasts, from the age of 5 to 10. I'll have a look at your page, and thanks very much for the offer.
Saludos
Sara
tomjenner said:
Laz
If you need any more photos for the presentation, feel free to use the ones on my website. They are from northern Central America and mainly El Salvador, but the birds of El Salvador are actually very similar to the birds of Guanacaste. I hope some of them are useful.

Tom

LazDivaz said:
Hola, Tom,
Actually, we did the presentation today, and it went well with about 16 species that I feel confident that I identified correctly. The kids are in an afterschool program, and we are trying to get them to help us to save a tiny wetland in our village that is at risk of being developed for an urbanization project. So I needed to use photos from our actual sanctuary, as you can't fool the kids, and they want to be sure that they'll see what I show them when we go on a site visit next week. So I now have 15 new bird enthusiasts, from the age of 5 to 10. I'll have a look at your page, and thanks very much for the offer.
Saludos
Sara

Hi LazDivas, I was just doing a little research of my own and concluded that your bird is a juvenile Great Blue Heron. The striping on the throat and black crown stripe match my books. Notice how the crown stripe extends below the eye. And the striping is very pronounced. Hope you didn't pick Tiger Heron. Happy Birding! :bounce: :flyaway:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back