• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owners: How Are Your Leica Noctivids Serving You?! (1 Viewer)

There is something special in the image quality of the Noctivid, something inherited from the optical characteristics of the legendary leica M lenses.

The great microcontrast and contrast,sharpness and plasticity of image together with an exceptional color quality and veil glare flare suppression.

I have the SV Filed pro 10x50 which is a formidable binocular but side by side the SV view is absolutely perfect but lacking of Life, like a perfect projection in front of your eyes with a flat view while the vision through the noctivid is more enveloping there is more separation of planes, less white optical veil and better contrast and color.

The SV FP is much better in color reproduction than early SV, Coatings are different and inside barrels darker instead of previous satin gray paint but the NV colours are absolutely exquisite.

If the open bridge design and flat field optics of swarovski was the way to follow for the other manufactures now the amazing suppression stray light of NV must be the target for Zeiss and Swaro in their next designs.

There is something special in the image quality of the Noctivid, something inherited from the optical characteristics of the legendary leica M lenses.

The great microcontrast and contrast,sharpness and plasticity of image together with an exceptional color quality and veil glare flare suppression.

I have the SV Filed pro 10x50 which is a formidable binocular but side by side the SV view is absolutely perfect but lacking of Life, like a perfect projection in front of your eyes with a flat view while the vision through the noctivid is more enveloping there is more separation of planes, less white optical veil and better contrast and color.

The SV FP is much better in color reproduction than early SV, Coatings are different and inside barrels darker instead of previous satin gray paint but the NV colours are absolutely exquisite.

If the open bridge design and flat field optics of swarovski was the way to follow for the other manufactures now the amazing suppression stray light of NV must be the target for Zeiss and Swaro in their next designs.

I agree. Zeiss 8x42 ht is another favorite but I no longer have it.

This post gets to the heart of what makes the Noctivid's so special. Well said. The Noctivid has the most perfectly "balanced" image of any binocular I've looked through, including both the SV and SF.

The SV FP is much better in color reproduction than early SV, Coatings are different and inside barrels darker instead of previous satin gray paint...

Just to clarify, by "early SV" do you mean the model just replaced by the FP, or something even earlier? That is, did these changes just happen with FP?

Noctivid owners who wear no spectacles while viewing - may I ask, what eyecup positions have you settled on (intermediate or otherwise) for both the 8x and/or 10x Noctivids?

Cheers,
Rathaus

An update - After extended use now, I’m finding the ergonomics and handling of the NV to be nothing short of first class. Like any instrument on first acquaintance, it can take some slight modification of (sometimes ingrained) technique. Given the chance, there’s not a lot I’d be changing about the structure of the NV. I’d prefer an independent diopter housed forward of the front hinge, but it’s a moot point as I rarely ever adjust the diopter anyway.

Another update after extended use.

I would have to largely agree. Since moving to Wasilla, Alaska in January I’ve used my NVD’s as never before, kept them in my Explorer in -25 F, ocean trips to the Fjords, you name it. I don’t know what I’d change short of adding RF - ergonomics are outstanding for larger hands. Top shelf view in virtually any light.

Last Saturday I was viewing the 5x25 mile Knik Glacier from Hatcher Pass, unviewable without glass, and I wouldn’t use any other alpha at this power.

Attachments

• 6479F450-CEBB-4168-96B6-C7E04C876A06.jpeg
    6479F450-CEBB-4168-96B6-C7E04C876A06.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back