• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cassowary kills man (1 Viewer)

I used to have a budgie. It was a really sweet, friendly bird.

Apart from with my uncle. It would land on his head and bite his ears really hard.

I went looking for these birds in Cape York Australia. They have claws like a Grizzly Bear.

Attachments

• Cassowary feet 1s.jpg
    Cassowary feet 1s.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Cassowary feet 2s.jpg
    Cassowary feet 2s.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 37
Diet is mostly fruit, seeds and small mammals. I often wonder if it had been long extinct, and we only had fossil evidence, would palaeontologists instead conclude that it was a fierce predator?

Jeez, a Harpy Eagle, or big buck Kangaroo near as dammit have claws like a Grizzly Bear ..... those toenails on the Cassowary look more comparable to something like a T-Rex ! :eek!:
That is what it is like. A cross between an ostrich and a T-Rex. Although when I found one, it just ignored us. One came out of the forest onto the beach and everyone scattered, leaving just me and the Cassowary on the beach. I got some good photos. They do have the potential to kill people but I think they would do this only if you bother them or get to close to them or their babies. Much the same as bears that I have encountered many times in my home of Alberta.

I stand about 5 foot 10 inches and these buggers are as tall and in some cases even bigger than me.
Never seen one in the wild as that is a long way north of me but seen them in the Zoo and at Australia Zoo, which is or was the Steve Irwin one that the family are still running.
The old fella was just that I would think and not too quick on his feet, which these are so it may have been an accident waiting to happen.
And it is the roads that claim many of these.

On a slightly different not the Emu.
I think that are related as both do have the same looking feet.
When was able to work I was working on the roads.
One day we watched a mob of Emu's cross the road and they were just slightly down from the top of a small hill.
We knew what was going to happen and it did.
A lady came over the top of the hill and bang, she hit one and we were watching at the right time.
The feathers rose up into the air like it was a pillow fight.
The lady drove on and came to us and told us what we knew and seen.
But she said I think its still alive.

So we jumped into the truck and went to see and sure enough it was still alive.
But both legs were broken at the knee's. I was working with 2 Aboriginal fellas and I said you are going to have to finish it of as it was suffering.
To my surprise neither one of them would do it (so I would hate to see the living of the land).
So I done the job which I will not put down here .

On another job where I was working we were pouring concrete and these Emus would be trying to eat it out of the wheelbarrow. And lunch time was a fight to get the food to your mouth before a large beak would come into view. We had to get them locked away so we could work in peace.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back