• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finch of some sort - Panama (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
Visited the gardens of the Biomuseo in Panama City on 29th March. I'm trying to get an ID on this finch type bird. We saw Saffron Finch there, but I'm thinking this is a different species.

TIA

HelenB

Attachments

• DSCN0920ed.JPG
    DSCN0920ed.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 63
Suggest female slate-coloured seedeater. The photo looks a bit yellow, but this is probably due to reflected light [bird is tawny coloured]. Colour of the bill cutting edges very similar to this:

http://avesphoto.com/website/WD/species/SDESLC-3.htm

Don't think there are other options amongst the seedeaters for this massive / shape of bill

Thank you for your reply - I didn't get a notification from BirdForum about your reply, or I would have thanked you sooner. We only have one photo of this species in BirdForum and it's the male!

I would caution against assuming that you can identify a female Sporophila from one photo. Slate-colored Seedeater is one of the rarest / hardest Sporophila and a record from Biomuseo would be exceptional though of course not impossible. I personally would leave it as a Sporophila sp and I personally think something like Yellow-bellied SE is far more likely. I’ve not looked in fantastic detail at the photo, I don’t proclaim to be an expert on the group, and it may well be Slate-colored. But I would want to see a very knowledgeable and detailed argument to ID a female of that species from one photo at a highly unexpected location.

I would caution against assuming that you can identify a female Sporophila from one photo. Slate-colored Seedeater is one of the rarest / hardest Sporophila and a record from Biomuseo would be exceptional though of course not impossible. I personally would leave it as a Sporophila sp and I personally think something like Yellow-bellied SE is far more likely. I’ve not looked in fantastic detail at the photo, I don’t proclaim to be an expert on the group, and it may well be Slate-colored. But I would want to see a very knowledgeable and detailed argument to ID a female of that species from one photo at a highly unexpected location.

Thanks for your comments. I’m waiting on word from the guide we had on our trip, as he wasn't with us that day, but I think it is a good idea to go with Sporophila sp when I upload my list to eBird.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back