• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

Family beach day at Cala Mondrago ago enabled me to get an hours birding in.

EDIT: just been reading a bit more. Is it more likely to be Scopoli's?

Found a Woodchat Shrike next to the car park and a Cory's Shearwater feeding of shore, the latter being a lifer for me.

Audouin's Gulls and a pair of Blue Rock Thrush the other highlights added to the trip list.

Quiet for raptors with just 3 Kestrel and 9 Red Kite.

Nige

Last edited:
LA Gola this morning,
Golden Oriole, Male again, circled around the reserve at 08:32 for 30 seconds before heading off north.
Moltonis also by first bridge. 6 Green Sands on the small muddy area where House Martins were collecting mud yesterday.
Steve.

Seeing two new birds for Mallorca at the same time was novel.
The Baillon’s Crake was underneath the hide and near impossible to photograph whilst the Spotted Crake walked past going the other way.

Mike.
What a fantastic birding experience - Mallorca never seems to disappoint! Sounds like you had a cracking day Mike and good to see you're up and about!

There's a spotted crake at Potteric Carr up the road which I went to see yesterday and like most crakes I've ever seen kept a VERY respectable distance from all birders! The Mallorcan birds sound far more obliging!

Hi there!
I‘m visiting Mallorca for two weeks starting next Thursday.
If anyone likes to meet up and go out on a little tour or to be shown around, just shooot me a pm!
Mike, looking forward to seeing you and Jane again!

Martin

Last edited:
BOOM Again, 10 Black Kites Bocquer Valley 10am circling before heading north west, see by 3 birders.
Single Black Kite reported later.
Also Blue Rock Thrushs, Redstarts Blackcaps, Wheatear, Crag Martin's.
Steve.

Hi Nige
I’m told by our resident seabird expert that all the larger shearwaters are Scopoli’s.
He further says that Cory’s do not occur and that he has only ever heard one once.
I can’t argue with that but if anyone believes differently, now is the time to say so!
Mike

Brilliant thanks Mike, that's good to know. Still a lifer for me and definitely a trickier bird to get from the UK!

Nige

Hi Nige
I’m told by our resident seabird expert that all the larger shearwaters are Scopoli’s.
He further says that Cory’s do not occur and that he has only ever heard one once.
I can’t argue with that but if anyone believes differently, now is the time to say so!
Mike

Delighted to find our room overlooks the North east corner of Albufera. Already ticked off b-w stilt, avocet and a cracking Woodchat shrike that lives in the scrub outside. Also overflying night heron and cattle egrets. Also made it into the pool :) Tom. H

Stayed around Santa Ponsa today so no bidding done. Noticed a few Audouin's Gulls hanging around the bay, plus still enjoying seeing plenty of Sardinian Warbler and Hoopoe around the place.

Chiffchaff the only addition to the trip list from today.

Nige

With thanks as usual to Lalo, totals for today at the tower:
3 Black Kite
1 Red Kite
4 Marsh Harrier
5 Common Kestrel
2 Booted Eagle
5 Hobby
1 Common Buzzard
5+2 Bee-eaters
Things are hotting up.
Also, a Savi’s Warbler reeling at Albufera.

Hi Martin, yes it will be great to meet up. I will send you a PM.

Mike

Does anyone know if the Baillon's Crake has been reported today ?- Im arriving tmrw and watching reports with a great deal of interest as (despite trying for one in Kent few years back) Ive not seen one.

Hi Chris. No reports today but that doesn’t mean much as I think nearly every birder here has been to see it and it is therefore unlikely to be reported.
I will ask around and post here.
I waited six hours at Grove Ferry for my one and only Baillon’s. It showed eventually but the views were poor.
The Albufera one tends to be under the far hide to the right of Sa Roca. Viewing is very restricted but it (and a Spotted Crake) do show eventually.
I hope it’s still around for you.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Glad you are up and mobile again, do you know where the Savi's was heard and the Gropper at Albuferata.
Cheers,
Steve.

Has anyone got any uptodate news on the spotless starlings at Can Curassa. Been there twice this week, but no sign anywhere. Heard barn owl from our villa near Pollenca tonight.

The message says Cami den Pep. I’m not sure if that’s the official name but I will look into it.

I haven’t seen any Spotless Starlings at Can Cullerassa this year. I know some have been seen near the airport where there is a breeding population.
Again, if anyone has any news on these questions, could they please help us out?
Many thanks, Mike

Hi Chris. No reports today but that doesn’t mean much as I think nearly every birder here has been to see it and it is therefore unlikely to be reported.
I will ask around and post here.
I waited six hours at Grove Ferry for my one and only Baillon’s. It showed eventually but the views were poor.
The Albufera one tends to be under the far hide to the right of Sa Roca. Viewing is very restricted but it (and a Spotted Crake) do show eventually.
I hope it’s still around for you.
Mike

Thanks very much Mike ...think a long stint ( no pun intended) in the Sa Roca on Tuesday beckons!

Hi, yes the savis is at Cami den Pep, that is the opposite side of Sa Roca, from Amarador to Ses Puntes.
Normally they are reeling only at sunset and sunshine, almost night.

Attachments

• 111 Boscarler.jpg
    111 Boscarler.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back